• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Six Feet Under character types

Nicodemus

It sounds to me more like you just don't like him on a visceral level, and it's coloring your perception of anything he does rather than maintaining some objectivity about the character. Seriously.
The first part is true. But ESFP is not a label I put on things I dislike. It is merely the best four-letter description of my perception of his character.

At best, it would be one of the low-key extroverts... I don't think ESFP falls into that category.

Much of the time you are also seeing him engaging people he is familiar with. With people he is not familiar with, they are receiving a packaged image of Nate especially in his role as the "nice gracious funeral director" that always has to do and say the right thing in order to be the "nicest, warmest, most understanding person in the world."

But there are typically two selves -- his public face, and then the one he shows in private to his family. He is far more personal and engaged with his family, and he throws his weight around more there, and even treats himself as the pseudo-father figure, which his two siblings sometimes give him crap for. Extroverts by nature typically are themselves in the external face; the difficulty comes in cultivating an internal self, that's the one they typically have to work at and bring into sync.
Well, that is your perception and concepts against mine. Obviously, I think mine are more accurate, not to mention more fresh.

Already did.
Five years ago, when you had seen five episodes.

But thanks for graciously offering me your permission.
You are very welcome.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not sure. He usually makes stupid decisions, is impulsive when he should think first, indecisive when she should act. He is understanding only when it suits him, which reeks of insincerity. He has no plan. I dislike his face, his way of speaking. There are really very few scenes in which I do like him.

I can't stand him either, and I agree with this- especially the bolded. I seem to remember liking him at first, a bit, but by the end of the series I found his character repulsive.

It's been a couple years since I watched the show, but I seem to remember thinking that he was at least Pe aux if not Pe dom. He needs things on the outside to define him- not in a Je way, but in the gluttonous and hedonistic Pe way. It's a trait of narcissism for someone to be able to stop "caring" on a dime and that's exactly how he is. He just uses people. He thinks he cares about them- but it's more like something he's trying on in a mirror than actually caring. He's not in touch with his own feelings at all, so he's not capable of authentically caring about others. He's just impulsively bouncing from one thing that he thinks will feel good to the next. Once someone isn't useful to him- which is to say, the 'potential' of being committed to them no longer seems like it will bring happiness- he couldn't care less how much he hurts them (regardless of how much he previously claimed to "love" them). And that's what Pe dominance looks like when at the mercy of unconscious impulses (when the unconscious impulses hold most or all of the strings): gluttonously experiencing the external world and rationalizing away any obligation to others.

So anyway, I agree with Pe dominance- specifically because of the way he uses people (Je dom/aux can use people too, it just looks different)- but I don't have much opinion outside that. Though he does seem more N than S to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first part is true. But ESFP is not a label I put on things I dislike. It is merely the best four-letter description of my perception of his character.

I never said you did slap an ESFP label on things you don't like; my comment is that your visceral dislike for the character is resulting in a distortion of perception, as best as I can tell. I have to be aware of my own as well and take that into account.

Well, that is your perception and concepts against mine. Obviously, I think mine are more accurate, not to mention more fresh.

Obviously.
(Or you would change and accommodate my opinion.)

Five years ago, when you had seen five episodes.

I meant what I posted earlier this morning, that you had such a strong reaction to.

You are very welcome.
You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Okay, I can't keep doing this with a straight face, at this point I'm laughing.

I can't stand him either, and I agree with this- especially the bolded. I seem to remember liking him at first, a bit, but by the end of the series I found his character repulsive.

It's been a couple years since I watched the show, but I seem to remember thinking that he was at least Pe aux if not Pe dom. He needs things on the outside to define him- not in a Je way, but in the gluttonous and hedonistic Pe way. It's a trait of narcissism for someone to be able to stop "caring" on a dime and that's exactly how he is. He just uses people. He thinks he cares about them- but it's more like something he's trying on in a mirror than actually caring. He's not in touch with his own feelings at all, so he's not capable of authentically caring about others. He's just impulsively bouncing from one thing that he thinks will feel good to the next. Once someone isn't useful to him- which is to say, the 'potential' of being committed to them no longer seems like it will bring happiness- he couldn't care less how much he hurts them (regardless of how much he previously claimed to "love" them). And that's what Pe dominance looks like when at the mercy of unconscious impulses (when the unconscious impulses hold most or all of the strings): gluttonously experiencing the external world and rationalizing away any obligation to others.

So anyway, I agree with Pe dominance- specifically because of the way he uses people (Je dom/aux can use people too, it just looks different)- but I don't have much opinion outside that.

Just to make things amusing, I think this kind of behavior shows up most easily in the FPs (which includes ESFP and INFP). Anyway, I agree he's not a Je Dom/Aux.

Maybe that's what I was responding to, especially later in the series when it becomes more obvious -- that he cares less about people and more about himself at core, he's using people in order to figure himself out and "see what works" for him. It's a form of usury. At that later stage, once Brenda got out of her sex-addiction funk, I felt like she actually was genuinely trying to reach out and connect and just being terrible at it because she just didn't know how, nor had had any real relationships that she could use as a template. And for a long time, I think she had been looking to Nate to teach her this, but he no longer cared to / was unable to since he himself only possessed an image of it.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he tries, is all. He's hugely flawed but he's trying.

Nicodemus

I never said you did slap an ESFP label on things you don't like; my comment is that your visceral dislike for the character is resulting in a distortion of perception, as best as I can tell. I have to be aware of my own as well and take that into account.
My dislike is a result of my perception. There is also an important difference between perception and expressed judgement. What I said above is not a complete picture of how I see Nate, but, as requested, an attempt to explain why I dislike him.

I meant what I posted earlier this morning, that you had such a strong reaction to.
Since you thought my typing was so terribly off, I was interested in which letters you prefer. Anyway, it probably comes down to different ideas of how the respective types 'appear'. The reason I reacted strongly to your post is that it seemed to me you reacted strongly to mine, as if you felt personally attacked.

Okay, I can't keep doing this with a straight face, at this point I'm laughing.
I'm glad. Typing fictional character should not turn into serious business.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe that's what I was responding to, especially later in the series when it becomes more obvious -- that he cares less about people and more about himself at core, he's using people in order to figure himself out and "see what works" for him. It's a form of usury. At that later stage, once Brenda got out of her sex-addiction funk, I felt like she actually was genuinely trying to reach out and connect and just being terrible at it because she just didn't know how, nor had had any real relationships that she could use as a template. And for a long time, I think she had been looking to Nate to teach her this, but he no longer cared to / was unable to since he himself only possessed an image of it.

He only possessed an image of it, and every time he thought he had found its living correlation, it turned to dust in his hands. Brenda was great until she lied in his face about her writing being fiction and he realized she HAD fucked the neighborhood teens. Where are you gonna go with that? Kinda late for her to get all sincere on him. He just seems to get one slap-down after another, and then he croaks. Oh, the nihilism. Gotta love it. So unapologetically bleak.

When Keith turned into a mommy, omg, now that was annoying.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since you thought my typing was so terribly off, I was interested in which letters you prefer. Anyway, it probably comes down to different ideas of how the respective types 'appear'. The reason I reacted strongly to your post is that it seemed to me you reacted strongly to mine, as if you felt personally attacked.

Not really personally attacked, but probably my typical frustration with participating in type read threads. Which is why I avoid them.

I'm only really here because this happens to be one of my favorite shows ever.

I'm glad. Typing fictional character should not turn into serious business.

I couldn't agree more.

(BTW, can you pull that curtain aside? I can't get a good bead on you from the telephone pole I just climbed outside your residence.)

He only possessed an image of it, and every time he thought he had found its living correlation, it turned to dust in his hands. Brenda was great until she lied in his face about her writing being fiction and he realized she HAD fucked the neighborhood teens. Where are you gonna go with that? Kinda late for her to get all sincere on him. He just seems to get one slap-down after another, and then he croaks. Oh, the nihilism. Gotta love it. So unapologetically bleak.

That last bit is one of my loves for the show. I've seen so much kowtowing to sentiment and such a lack of balls in much TV writing... well, the show never tried to make everyone likeable nor provided them with the perfect (or endurably perfect) life. It didn't even try to pretty all the storylines up and find the kind of typical closure much writers provide in terms of plot and situation. So much remained gray.

When Keith turned into a mommy, omg, now that was annoying.

:rofl1:

Nicodemus

Not really personally attacked, but probably my typical frustration with participating in type read threads. Which is why I avoid them.

I'm only really here because this happens to be one of my favorite shows ever.
INFP then? ;)

(BTW, can you pull that curtain aside jalousie up? I can't get a good bead on you from the telephone pole I just climbed outside your residence.)
Certainly. I'm the dark-haired one with the thorn in his side.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP then? ;)

I think so, but I'm willing to agree on the FP (so we can blame Nate on them) and lay the rest aside, in the spirit of typological goodwill.

Certainly. I'm the dark-haired one with the thorn in his side.

:rly???:

Now I am suspecting a setup.

Nicodemus

Now I am suspecting a setup.
light-yagami-laugh-o.gif

It's not.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is my all-time favorite show; I don't think I've seen anything else on TV quite so real. My favorite characters are David and Brenda, but I relate to Nate the most.

Nate - ISFP 7w6-9w8-4?
David - ISFJ 6w5-1w9-2 (sp/so?)
Ruth - ISFJ 2w1-6-1 (sp/sx?)
Claire - INfP 4w5-8w9-6w7 (sx/sp, probably)
Brenda - iNTP 5w4 sx
Rico - xSTP 6w7
Keith - ESTJ 8w9
Nate Sr. - ISTJ 6w5?
Vanessa - ESFJ 2 or 6w7
Billy - ENFP 4w5 sx
George - InTP 5w6
Lisa - hmm...seems InFJ in S2 and IsFJ afterwards
Margaret - ENTP or ESTP 3w4
Maggie - INFP 9w1 sp/sx or sx/sp
Sarah - ENFP 4w3 so/sx (very)
Nikolai - ESFP 8w7?
Gabe - ISTP 8 or cp6
Taylor (Keith's niece) - ESTP
Russell - INFP 4w5
Parker - xSTP
Bettina (is The Shit) - ESTP 8w7
Olivier - ESTP 8w7 or 7w8
Arthur - IsTJ 5w6 or 1w9
Anita - ESFP 7
Edie - ENxP
Ted - ESFJ
Joe - IxFJ 6
Angela (Illeana Douglas's character) - caricature of ESTP 7w8

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Six Feet Under

We just finished this whole series. So freakin good.

Anyone else watch it? (it's way old)

Interested in what you all think about the characters types.

Pretty sure Nate is enfp
Brenda?? entp?? idk
Ruth infj
David intj?
Claire infp
Lisa infj ??
keith ?
Sara?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We just finished this whole series. So freakin good.

Anyone else watch it? (it's way old)

Interested in what you all think about the characters types.

Pretty sure Nate is enfp
Brenda?? entp?? idk
Ruth infj
David intj?
Claire infp
Lisa infj ??
keith ?
Sara?

I loved that show when it was on. Watched most of the series.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
okay...you guys are right about david...i forgot that we thought isfj after awhile. that's probably right.

will edit more in a sec. catching up :D

i can't believe you all think ruth is an isfj! she's the first person i was sure was an infj

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I missed the initial run but bought all the box sets on sale online at various places and slowly worked my way through them a few years ago.

Actually the lock screen on my smartphone currently is Nate and Brenda doing the trampoline thing.

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
Nate - ENFP 7
Ruth - INFJ 2
David - ISFJ 1w2
Billy - ENTP
Nathanial Sr. - ESTP
Claire - INFP 4w5
Rico - I don't know, ESFJ maybe. 6
Kieth - ISTP -
Brenda - ENTP 5w4
Margaret - idk, maybe ENTJ 7w8
Olivier - ENFP 4w3
Vanessa - ESFJ
George - INTP
Lisa - INFJ 3w2
Russell - ISFP 4w5
Nikolai - ESfp 9w8
Arthur - I?T?
Maggie - I?FP

eudaimonia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nate - INFP
David - ISFJ
Ruth - ISFJ
Claire - ISFP
Brenda - INFJ (I relate to her most) 5w4
Rico - ISTJ
Keith - ESTJ
Nate Sr. - ISTP
Vanessa - ESFJ
Billy - ENFP
George - INTJ
Lisa - ISFJ
Margaret - ESFP (NPD)
Maggie - INTP
Sarah - ENFP
Nikolai - ESTP
Gabe - ISTP
Hiram - ISTJ
Taylor (Keith's niece) - ESTJ
Russell - INFP 4
Bettina - ESTP
Olivier - ESFP
Arthur - INTP
Anita - ESFP
Edie - ENTP
Ted - ESTP
Joe - ENFJ
Carol - ENTJ gone neurotically and hysterically wrong
Mitzi - ESTP

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
David IS(t)J- feel like he... Has issues with his Fi. Is coming to an age where it is coming out and wants fo explore. But cant quite handle the larger Si hand, demanding tradition and such, on it- so it flips and freaks out. So he flips and freaks out.

Nathan: ENFP. He feels things- deeply. He knows what he wants to do- he knows VAGUELY what he wants to do... But doesnt quite know how to get there. So jumps into things, hoping that... That thing deep in him that sounds so truthful- is reflective of something to catch onto in the real world. Jumps. Appears indecisive. Definitely a feeler, really great contrast to his brother.

Claire: IXFP. ISFP? Not sure. Pretty... Going through a lot right now- hard to type.

Mom: ISFJ. Very very traditional. Doesnt much understand Fi- especially dominance. Has a hard time with it- and is very confused on how to approach her daughter. But wants the best for everyone, and wants to believe the best of everyone.

Brenda: Not sure yet. Some sort of NT perhaps. Or perhaps an INFJ. Very hard to tell.

Thats all I have for now. Only 4 or 5 eps in.