• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Poll: Tori Amos' type

What is Tori Amos' type

• ESFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESFJ

• ISFP

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • ISFJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ENFP

• ENFJ

• INFP

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • INFJ

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • ENTP

• ENTJ

• INTP

• INTJ

• Total voters

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is your take on Tori Amos' type?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Well, firstly, I adore her. :wub: I have been an ears with feet since her first album, and see her live whenever I can. As for her type, She could either be INFJ or INFP, but she's most definitely an INF. There's another thread knocking around here somewhere, and for those who claim she's extroverted, you're wrong. :)

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah. She's a special one. One of a kind :heart::heart::heart:
:wubbie:
EDIT: @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=408" target="_blank">Tigerlily</a> ...you know now I found the thread you may be referring to... perhaps, maybe. :)
I didn't find it when I searched for one earlier. Maybe the thread fairy's feeling a bit more graceous today.. who knows. ;)
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/2265-tori-amos.html

I had to still post one more video. A more of an overview of her life and career for those not so familiar with her work. :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably my favorite artist. I've always thought INFP. Her lyrics are a bit incomprehensible.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think she's an INFJ 4w3...or possibly ENFJ, though I'd say to me she comes off more like an introvert when she's with someone like Graham Norton who is a Ne dom for sure.
My main Ni suspicion is the way she describes her songwriting. She describes her songs as "girls" that just come to her, some in parts, some ready to record. She describes herself as a kind of a scribe.
There's another curious fact I read about her making her setlists. She makes a new one for every City she plays. The interesting thing in this is how she goes about deciding what to play that night: she and her assistant get together in the morning over breakfast and go through the local newspapers for a few hours and then she says gets a feel for what needs to be played that night.
She's pretty hands on, producing her own records, being very much in charge of every aspect of her career from selecting her road crew, to keeping herself very much involved and knowledgeable with the business side of things. She has a home studio and keeps everything to a small intimate crew... I can't really put my finger on it and what it is that exactly makes me think INFJ, but it's my guess.
I read Piece by Piece, a book where she's interviewed by Ann Powers and a little bit later Just Kids by Patti Smith who in my mind is highly likely an INFP. Patti Smith and her contrasted...I think Patti Smith was more a born bohemian, she just thought "I am a writer" and never really had a plan per se. She went to New York and did various things to express herself artistically and things kind of fell in place as if by accident, whereas Tori Amos had a specific goal and very consciously worked toward that.
..There's also that whole Y Kant Tori Read episode where she kind of just went with what people wanted of her and what was popular at the time to break through and only really begun finding her own voice in her mid twenties. I kind of think a Fi dom would just be themselves so to speak and not so much care what the world wanted. I kind of think it's possibly harder to balance your own needs and those of others with Fe in your make up ....but I'm not sure. It's hard to distinguish between INFs.

...I'm of course very biased as she is my all time favorite songwriter. Just thought it's fair to mention that. ;)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I voted INFJ, as I believe that's what she is based on what I know of her and the book she wrote. I agree with some other posters though that it's not an obvious/clearcut typing. I agree with [MENTION=408]Tigerlily[/MENTION] though that there's no way she's an extrovert.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think she's an INFJ 4w3...or possibly ENFJ, though I'd say to me she comes off more like an introvert when she's with someone like Graham Norton who is a Ne dom for sure.
My main Ni suspicion is the way she describes her songwriting. She describes her songs as "girls" that just come to her, some in parts, some ready to record. She describes herself as a kind of a scribe.
There's another curious fact I read about her making her setlists. She makes a new one for every City she plays. The interesting thing in this is how she goes about deciding what to play that night: she and her assistant get together in the morning over breakfast and go through the local newspapers for a few hours and then she says gets a feel for what needs to be played that night.
She's pretty hands on, producing her own records, being very much in charge of every aspect of her career from selecting her road crew, to keeping herself very much involved and knowledgeable with the business side of things. She has a home studio and keeps everything to a small intimate crew... I can't really put my finger on it and what it is that exactly makes me think INFJ, but it's my guess.
I read Piece by Piece, a book where she's interviewed by Ann Powers and a little bit later Just Kids by Patti Smith who in my mind is highly likely an INFP. Patti Smith and her contrasted...I think Patti Smith was more a born bohemian, she just thought "I am a writer" and never really had a plan per se. She went to New York and did various things to express herself artistically and things kind of fell in place as if by accident, whereas Tori Amos had a specific goal and very consciously worked toward that.
..There's also that whole Y Kant Tori Read episode where she kind of just went with what people wanted of her and what was popular at the time to break through and only really begun finding her own voice in her mid twenties. I kind of think a Fi dom would just be themselves so to speak and not so much care what the world wanted. I kind of think it's possibly harder to balance your own needs and those of others with Fe in your make up ....but I'm not sure. It's hard to distinguish between INFs.

...I'm of course very biased as she is my all time favorite songwriter. Just thought it's fair to mention that. ;)

Incredible rationale; well said. Remember that Ni is concerned with archetypes, and Tori's songs are archetype laden. She has Se impulses, as in the song "The Waitress" and her raw performances that use her body to express the music as well.

Fe comes up in the meet-n-greets she used to do before shows.

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
She has Se impulses, as in the song "The Waitress" and her raw performances that use her body to express the music as well.
Oh that's a very good point.:) ...you know it might be my own repressed Se impulses talking, but I never thought there was anything odd about that song. Now that you mention it I can see a kind of a raw Se expression in the lyric.
I think that corporeality and expressions of anger are not probably something so readily associated with INFJs.
I suppose an INFJ could be likely to give out a bit of a flirty (Fe trying to establish a positive rapport) and at the same time kind of naive but raw sensual vibe (inferior Se) paired with a kind of a detached spaciness (Ni). ...this hypothesis might benefit from a male perspective. I'm really just guessing.:D

EDIT: And in the case of Waitress a very direct emotionally charged communication (Fe) of raw anger (inferior Se) in a way that comes out a bit weird (Ni).