• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Orchestra Personality and MBTI Type

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's long been known in the orchestra that each section of the orchestra seems to have a certain kind of personality -- collectively for the section, if it doesn't hold true for the entire orchestra.

Now I wonder, does this correspond with MBTI? Can we force it? I'll need some help, because I'm only really familiar with string orchestra.

I'll start us out:

Conductor: ENTJ

Even though they don't play an actual instrument, a good conductor has to be innovative with musical interpretation but still be strict in implementation. They keep the entire orchestra on task, but they can also go on their own little 'power trips' if they're not careful.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Based on my own experience with stereotypical players:

Violinist: ISTJ

Violist: ISFJ

Cello: INFP

Trombonist: ESFP

Clarinetist: INTP

Percussionist: ISTP

Cornetist/Trumpeter: ESTP

Pianist: ENFP

redacted

leader of the slacker percussion section that basically fixed all the freshman kids' errors: INFJ

oh wait, we're talking about general cases?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmm.

I'd almost type viola as some kind of NT -- at least the ones that start out on viola, rather than the ones that switch, who are still violinists, only with a bonus inferiority complex. 'Absentminded intellectuals,' I've heard. INTP? The usual repetitive music lets their minds wander.

And I'd type Cello as either ENFP or ENTP. Too mellow to be INFP.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Too mellow to be INFP.
I was thinking of INFPs who are Enneagram Nines.

While we're casting, harpists are probably the most otherworldly. Which type?

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
This is a stupid thread.

But yes:
Lyricist/Vocalist : INFP
Cellist : INTX
Sax Player : ENFJ

Yeah. If your orchestra doesn't have a sax, then it sucks. :)

moonlit_reveries

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
What about the woodwinds?
Flute
Oboe
Clarinet
and Bassoon?

Being an oboist, I have a few ideas myself but I'm really curious to hear what others think before I jump in yet.

moonlit_reveries

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
whoops, I saw that clarinet was typed already... my bad.
But I'm curious about the other 3 I mentioned

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was thinking of INFPs who are Enneagram Nines.

As someone who types as INFP, E9, and loves the sound of the cello very much, I value your choice.

Synthesizer Programmer: INTJ

I dunno, Uber...this INFP owns a few synths, both analog and digital, hardwired and modular, and loves to program them alongside associated effects devices. :)

My last effort in this regard was using waveguide physical modeling to emulate the sound of - a cello. ;)

cheers,
Ian

hiddengem

MBTI Type
ESTJ
What about the bass section?

I am really horrible at trying to figure out types. (Since I played the bass in an orchestra I am REALLY interested in this one.)

My husband was a vocalist and is an INFP. :wubbie:

MerkW

And what of the Gong player, seated far in the back, striking only one or two lonely (yet extremely powerful) notes throughout the entire performance...?

Sling

MBTI Type
N358
What about the woodwinds?
Flute
Oboe
Clarinet
and Bassoon?

Being an oboist, I have a few ideas myself but I'm really curious to hear what others think before I jump in yet.

Anyone can love to blow on wood. It doesn't rest on type. :banana2: