• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jesus

Little Buddha

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Short and sweet: How come Jesus is always cast as an INFJ when in fact he seems far more of an INFP in the gospels.

I suspect that maybe this casting has been formed by modern christians who'd rather see Jesus as a universal rather than a crusader promoting subjective values.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Jesus doesn't seem to have a type... he almost seems like a compostie of all the types. I actually searched the internet to see if there was a theory of Jesus's type once for fun (I'm not christian... and it wasn't actually very fun, hahaha) and they concluded that he used every function equally.

But if he has to be typed, INFJ makes sense just because they are the classic "prophet" type.

Little Buddha

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
That's funny because that's not at all the impression I get at all when I read the four cannonical gospels.

In which passages do you think he seems NT, for instance?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Jesus was amazing. Look at some of the ideas he was expressing.

"He who is without sin may cast the first stone."
"Judge not ye be Judged"
"You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Those are strong Fe principles. Whereas Fi seeks to know right from wrong, Fe seeks to find harmony despite sin. Add that to how Jesus seemed to pulled wisdom out of the air and make prophecies, and you have strong Ni.

I would say Jesus was an XNFJ.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
The "cast the first stone" part apparently doesn't appear in the earliest texts of the bible and is believed to have been either added in or be a mistranslation of something else.

And LB, I don't know what makes him NT, I didn't come up with the description (it was some preist who is a MBTI fan, apparently)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
the_big_lebowski_jesus.jpg

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
Jesus used all functions equally? This guy is a priest, so most likely he believes Jesus was a metahuman. That really doesn't answer the question; it's more a coverup to affirm the perfection of the man than anything. I think his main two functions are Ni/Fe as well, making him an INFJ. As for the INFP possibility, I don't think Ne was very much of Jesus' cup of tea; he used Ni way more. Even Fi doesn't sound much like him; his philosophy was more into harmony with others than anything. "Love your enemies" is not a very Fi thing to say.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think any serious discussion of Jesus will demand a more closer, detailed view of the four Gospels. Right now I feel like a few of his more popular points are being brought up as proof of one type or another.

To be blunt, do you think Fi's would never come to utter a truth like "Love your enemies"? I don't think that is exclusively Fi or Fe at all. And so on.

If I were doing a serious canvass of Jesus (or anyone as complex as he was), I'd have to go through each of the four gospels, verse by verse, and write down whatever I saw that might fit in a particular function category. By the end, I should have LOTS of data.

Then you go through and look at various snapshots of him to see what type he might most closely reflect in a given situation (since we're more than our functions, when operating in a particular circumstance).

But it's not a quick undertaking... which is why no one seems to do it.

I think I might have at times said he looked rather INFJ to me. But there still major discrepancies. For example, most INFJ people I know come off as "colder" on the surface, they're very protective of their inner world. Jesus wasn't. He was very warm. And people recognized it and loved him.

So... lotsa hodge-podge.

And I don't think "most Christians" even use the MBTI, let alone try to cast Jesus as something to make him a "universalist" savior. They've got theology for that. They don't use MBTI to prove their faith, and some even shun MBTI because they've got a Bible to say that Jesus was a universal savior teaching universal values.

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
While it's not necessarily a conclusion impossible for Fi to reach, Fe is far more likely to reach it. While FPs and TJs (the types where Fi > Fe) would generally agree with the principle (just about nobody would disagree with it), it is much harder for them to actually act upon that principle because they need to follow their integrity in their opinions. I would generally agree with somebody having to go into more detail on this, but I'm just doing with what I have.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While it's not necessarily a conclusion impossible for Fi to reach, Fe is far more likely to reach it. While FPs and TJs (the types where Fi > Fe) would generally agree with the principle (just about nobody would disagree with it), it is much harder for them to actually act upon that principle because they need to follow their integrity in their opinions. I would generally agree with somebody having to go into more detail on this, but I'm just doing with what I have.

It was just funny as I read this, because suddenly images of the INFJs versus the INFPs I know come to mind...

... and it's not fitting theory. I think in practical experience, I have known many more INFJs who were ruthless and unwilling/unable to love enemies. (They are the type I've met with the most personally violent dreams as well.) Meanwhile, the INFPs have been much more flexible on the outside and able to love people who they don't necessarily agree with; people come to THEM for help, because they sense the kindness of heart. The only time I've know INFPs to get rigid is in situations where they feel pressed to the wall; they usually want to give each person another chance, and another chance, they keep FLEXING, whatever their inner values are, whereas INFJs are MUCH more liable to just cut people loose if they cause them too much pain or are opposed to them.

I just don't see it.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
... and it's not fitting theory. I think in practical experience, I have known many more INFJs who were ruthless and unwilling/unable to love enemies. (They are the type I've met with the most personally violent dreams as well.) Meanwhile, the INFPs have been much more flexible on the outside and able to love people who they don't necessarily agree with; people come to THEM for help, because they sense the kindness of heart. The only time I've know INFPs to get rigid is in situations where they feel pressed to the wall; they usually want to give each person another chance, and another chance, they keep FLEXING, whatever their inner values are, whereas INFJs are MUCH more liable to just cut people loose if they cause them too much pain or are opposed to them.

Hm...maybe I'm an INFP then, because I tend to have this problem. Not online, but certainly in real life.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
We gotta get Moses to post here, pronto.

Wait, my middle name is Moshe (Hebrew for Moses)! :holy:

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Jesus was ESTP... So good as promoting himself. He couldve sold water to a whale.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Jesus doesn't seem to have a type... he almost seems like a compostie of all the types. I actually searched the internet to see if there was a theory of Jesus's type once for fun (I'm not christian... and it wasn't actually very fun, hahaha) and they concluded that he used every function equally.

But if he has to be typed, INFJ makes sense just because they are the classic "prophet" type.

This makes perfect sense as he was a perfect man according to the bible. It would make sense that he would use all of his functions in a perfect way and thus would be a composite and the best of all the functions.

redacted

jesus having every function equally makes no sense at all. not all functions work together.

he'd be a huge hypocrite.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Quit arguing, people ;) Jesus himself here. I've got some first-hand insight in this matter, and i'm clearly ENTJ. Evil overlord!!! :devil: Just look what christianity has accomplished. :party2::wubbie::smile:

Edit: And yes, Dissonance, i'm a BIG hypocrite. :)

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Quit arguing, people ;) Jesus himself here. I've got some first-hand insight in this matter, and i'm clearly ENTJ. Evil overlord!!! :devil: Just look what christianity has accomplished. :party2::wubbie::smile:

Edit: And yes, Dissonance, i'm a BIG hypocrite. :)

Wow. Would that mean the antichrist is going to be an INTP aka your shadow?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most probably, kiddo, most probably :)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But I sincerely think Lucifer is an ESFJ :smile:

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
jesus having every function equally makes no sense at all. not all functions work together.

he'd be a huge hypocrite.

All of us have every function. Not just four...all eight. We don't use each equally but we use them ALL.