• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ponies Again

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, it's time for another Friendship is Magic Thread.

Twilight Sparkle: INFJ. Twilight's rather a tough one. She's clearly Ni-dominant, but seems to follow it with Ti and Fe. She's a smart pony, quite kind, but stubborn about her opinions and with a tendency to dispense advice unasked. She's prone to enter an obsessive state (Ni-Ti) in which she refuses to accept external information and simply tries to reason things out based solely on her Ni-vision. When pressed hard, she will try to force things and may become physically aggressive.

Rainbow Dash: ESTP. Rainbow Dash, by comparison, is a pretty easy one. She's more or less a textbook ESTP -- brash, with a love of physical challenges and a dislike of rules.

Pinkie Pie: ESFP. Pinkie Pie, a party loving hedonist, is almost a stereotypical ESFP. Some people have been typing her as ENFP, but Pinkie is largely uninterested in ideas, and has trouble grasping how other ponies see the world. She's also very physical and present in the "now," and her first reaction to something new is usually to pick it up and play with it. All these things show Se-dominance rather than Ne-dominance.

Fluttershy: ISFP. Fluttershy's Fi-dominance is pretty obvious, but her N/S orientation much less so, due to her strong introversion and reliance on her Fi. I have her as ISFP largely due to her connection with animals, the general "well-maintained clutter" look of her cottage, and her lack of anything resembling Ne.

Applejack: ISTJ. Serious, responsible Applejack is a pretty clear STJ. She's pretty balanced between E and I, but ultimately her Si is in charge, and she will frequently choose doing what she "ought" to do over what is practical.

Rarity: ESFJ. I would think Rarity should be obvious, but I've seen people tag her as ENFJ. Her shoulds and oughts tend to focus on physical things such as fixing a dress (or nest) properly and not on questions of right or wrong.

Last edited:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Twilight Sparkle - I don't see clear Ni from her, seems more like she's on the Si/Ne axis at least somewhere, and shows a pretty persistent I and T preference. So she's probably either an ISTJ or a very "J" INTP. Judging by that one episode where the future Twilight visits her, I'd lean more firmly towards ISTJ, as her Ne starts to take on an unsteady catastrophizing quality.

Rainbow Dash - little to question ESTP..... pretty darn obvious Se-dom. Her love of challenges takes on a stereotypically ESTP flavor.

Pinkie Pie - Likely ESFP, though the only super obvious letters are E and P. Do we get enough insight to whatever inner workings she may or may not possess to know her type? I don't know :p

Fluttershy - ISFP kinda seems right for her.... in tune with nature and the needs of the misunderstood and all that you know :p

Applejack - probably ESTJ, a little more involved and performance-driven that I'd expect of an ISTJ.

Rarity - ESFJ...... I don't see any N indication for her either.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
A few more:

Princess Celestia: ENFJ. Kindly pedagogue or dangerous cult leader? You decide!
Princess Luna: ENTJ. IT IS CUSTOMARY TO USE THIS MUCH TE WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS. Rather too willing to make sweeping changes in response to a Fi-prick to be ESTJ.

At this point I'm more or less guessing.

Princess Cadence: ENFP. Our glimpse of the "real" Cadence is pretty short, so this is based largely on "vibe."
Big Macintosh: ISFJ. Shy, hardworking, and sensitive.
Cheerilee: ENTP. This is a rather wilder guess than the others. Cheerilee relies strongly on Fe while teaching, but also shows signs of perceiver-orientation, such as letting class out early to watch Apple Bloom do loop-de-hoop tricks. Fe in a perceiver usually means ENTP or ESTP, and ENTP fits her general demeanor better.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Learning about Enneagram. Very different from MBTI. I'm not going to bother with trying to figure out whether to assign wings or not.

The ponies are actually spread out through the Enneagram quite well.

Twilight Sparkle - One. I kind of thought she was a Five at first, but no.
Rarity - Two.
Rainbow Dash - Three. Amazing how well these two fit.
No Four or Five.
Applejack - Six.
Pinkie Pie - Seven.
Eight seems to be the domain of villains and bratty schoolfillies.
Fluttershy - Nine. I looked at Four, but Four seems to be all about the Neigh.

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Twilight Sparkle ISTJ 1w9 or 6w5 sp/so
Rainbow Dash ESTP 6w7 (cp) sx/sp
Fluttershy ISFP 9w1 sp/sx
Pinkie Pie ENFP 7w6 so/sx
Applejack ESTJ 1w2 so/sx
Rarity ESFJ 3w4 so/sp
What about Spike and the cutie mark crusaders?

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
God, how are you guys not seeing that Twilight Sparkle is a fuckin' ESFJ 2w3?

Pinkie Pie might in all honesty be ENFP (she's insane, that's usually how I tell the difference between ENFP and ESFP.)

I don't know about Rarity. She kind of seems like an ENFJ 3w4.

Of course Rainbow Dash is ESTP, I don't think that's really ever going to be disputed. Seems like 7 is somewhere in there. I'm thinking 7w8 since she can get all drill-sergeant-y.

Applejack is ESTJ. Probably 1...don't know about the wing.

Fluttershy is either ISFP or ISFJ. Inclined to say ISFP, though.

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
God, how are you guys not seeing that Twilight Sparkle is a fuckin' ESFJ 2w3?

Pinkie Pie might in all honesty be ENFP (she's insane, that's usually how I tell the difference between ENFP and ESFP.)

I don't know about Rarity. She kind of seems like an ENFJ 3w4.

Of course Rainbow Dash is ESTP, I don't think that's really ever going to be disputed. Seems like 7 is somewhere in there. I'm thinking 7w8 since she can get all drill-sergeant-y.

Applejack is ESTJ. Probably 1...don't know about the wing.

Fluttershy is either ISFP or ISFJ. Inclined to say ISFP, though.
Twilight Sparkle an ESFJ 2w3? Sorry, I just don't see it. Care to explain?

wistfulwillow

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
She's a try-hard and a goodie-two-shoes. Down to earth, wants to please people. Humble.

ESFJ 2w3.
Those sound like characteristics that could apply to any SJ. Personally, I think she's an ISTJ due to her outright lack of interest in socializing. As the show goes along, she grows to enjoy the company of others, but she still needs time alone to recharge more so than the other ponies.
I also don't really see the Fe in her. She cares about her friends, but she isn't very aware of their emotional needs. For example, in the sleepover episode from season 1, she's so focused on following her schedule that she doesn't notice that Rarity and Applejack are fighting. This seems like something an ISTJ would do. I don't understand how any type with dominant Fe could be so oblivious.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Those sound like characteristics that could apply to any SJ. Personally, I think she's an ISTJ due to her outright lack of interest in socializing. As the show goes along, she grows to enjoy the company of others, but she still needs time alone to recharge more so than the other ponies.
I also don't really see the Fe in her. She cares about her friends, but she isn't very aware of their emotional needs. For example, in the sleepover episode from season 1, she's so focused on following her schedule that she doesn't notice that Rarity and Applejack are fighting. This seems like something an ISTJ would do. I don't understand how any type with dominant Fe could be so oblivious.

There is no way she's ISTJ. I'd believe that cockamamie INFJ typing before ISTJ.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Twilight Sparkle - I don't see clear Ni from her, seems more like she's on the Si/Ne axis at least somewhere, and shows a pretty persistent I and T preference. So she's probably either an ISTJ or a very "J" INTP. Judging by that one episode where the future Twilight visits her, I'd lean more firmly towards ISTJ, as her Ne starts to take on an unsteady catastrophizing quality.

Rainbow Dash - little to question ESTP..... pretty darn obvious Se-dom. Her love of challenges takes on a stereotypically ESTP flavor.

Pinkie Pie - Likely ESFP, though the only super obvious letters are E and P. Do we get enough insight to whatever inner workings she may or may not possess to know her type? I don't know :p

Fluttershy - ISFP kinda seems right for her.... in tune with nature and the needs of the misunderstood and all that you know :p

Applejack - probably ESTJ, a little more involved and performance-driven that I'd expect of an ISTJ.

Rarity - ESFJ...... I don't see any N indication for her either.

QFT. Though I think Pinkie Pie is more ENFP than ESFP.

Oh, I once heard someone on the internet say that they thought Twilight could have Asperger's because she was so oblivious in social situations, lol.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got pinkie pie on the my little pony test D:

F

FigerPuppet

Only good thing that has ever come out of MLP:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpH-SmtnOqI&list=UUmvXfmJEtURCEtHNbMXfDqg&index=9&feature=plcp"]SWAG[/YOUTUBE]

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Ni and Ti aren't an acceptable function pair under MBTI. Someone like that has to be lumped in under INFJ (Ni-Fe-Ti-Se) or ISTP (Ti-Se-Ni-Fe). Of the two, INFJ makes far more sense for Twilight. We know she was isolated and over-introverted before coming to Ponyville, which seems far more likely to squash an INFJ's Fe than an ISTP's Se. And she's never shown any sign of perceiver-orientation.

She is also not socially oblivious, but rather socially inexperienced. She makes lots of Fe-based decisions, they're just not good ones. In both Ticket Master and Boast Busters she pays too much attention to what she thinks other ponies will think and winds up paralyzed for fear of offending anyone. In Winter Wrap-up she becomes so chagrined by her failure to contribute anything useful that she winds up hiding in a bush so no pony will see her. As the show has moved into season 2, this is happening less often, and the social clumsiness is less common as well. In an early S1 episode, she gives Pinkie some advice that seems sensible, but is actually a misreading of the situation. In a late S2 episode, she gives Pinkie some advice again, and this time it's genuinely helpful. In the S2 finale, she has something of a triumph: Twilight was suspicious of my motives all along. It's too bad the rest of you were too wrapped up in your wedding plans to listen.

As for Si versus Ni, note that while Applejack and Rarity become stubborn about physical things (I Can Buck All These Apples, Prepare Breakfast Exactly Like This), Twilight's stubbornness revolves around concepts (There Is No Pinkie Sense, The World Will End Next Tuesday). In both cases she gets a single fixed idea into her head and has immense difficulty in dislodging it. This is different from Ne-based catastrophizing, in which a multitude of bad things are summoned (cannibals! snakes! the Plague! Also large bugs) when the dictates of Si are not followed.