• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anakin Diagnosed Professionally

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2007/05/anakin_syndrome

'According to the authors, who reported their findings at the American Psychiatric Association's annual meeting in San Diego, Skywalker meets the criteria for the condition: He has difficulty controlling anger, stress-related breaks with reality (after women in his life die or leave), impulsivity (dangerous pod racing), obsession with abandonment (those women again) and a "pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of ideation and devaluation" (hello, Obi-Wan).'

There it is. Type 6.

RicPTmc

MBTI Type
DNA
Instinctual Variant
sx
[] He's yoda friend... why bother do this? "but himself he wont anyone hurt"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He really needed to lay off the midichlorians.

What other type than Six would he have been, btw? It seems a pretty clear read.

It's interesting to look at differences between male and female Borderlines; both types seem to create drama, but the male drama seems to manifest more in aggressive behavior (physically) overall, whereas the females tend to create a lot of "female" drama with hysteria, hypersensitivity, emotional freak-outs, etc, social drama. Still, you can see Anakin with a kind of masculine "spin" on all that drama -- it's especially highlighted with the insane amount of paranoia Anakin expresses in the third movie, along with that whole final scene with Obi-Wan where emotionally he is just completely whacked out of his head, misreading everything, reacting viciously to imagined threats, etc. That seems pretty Borderline, during the worst moments.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He really needed to lay off the midichlorians.

What other type than Six would he have been, btw? It seems a pretty clear read.

This whole "Anakin = 8" thing seems to have started here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/popular-culture-type/44645-anakin-skywalker.html

It's interesting to look at differences between male and female Borderlines; both types seem to create drama, but the male drama seems to manifest more in aggressive behavior (physically) overall, whereas the females tend to create a lot of "female" drama with hysteria, hypersensitivity, emotional freak-outs, etc, social drama. Still, you can see Anakin with a kind of masculine "spin" on all that drama -- it's especially highlighted with the insane amount of paranoia Anakin expresses in the third movie, along with that whole final scene with Obi-Wan where emotionally he is just completely whacked out of his head, misreading everything, reacting viciously to imagined threats, etc. That seems pretty Borderline, during the worst moments.

The APA personality disorders matrix is actually a stronger system of typology than these others. But I don't agree with everything in that article. I don't see Anakin as "very unsure of who he was and what he wanted" at any time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Interesting. My opinions have changed slightly, he acts more like a Gen Y ISTJ when young, and when old he seems more like a Boomer ISTJ.

My issue with Eight is that Eight behavior is supposed to be the NORM for the type, it's their foundational approach to the world...but Anakin's expressions of control seem to always been very brittle and rather desperate at core, underlying all the bravado. It's like an INTP not believing in their Ti, or an ESFJ not believing in his Fe. Anakin seems like someone who wants to be powerful, to feel better about his ego and more worthy, but who believes at core he is not powerful at all and that everyone is laughing at him. It's an insecurity within him. That's not something you normally see in Eights. They never really doubt their power / self-command.

The APA personality disorders matrix is actually a stronger system of typology than these others. But I don't agree with everything in that article. I don't see Anakin as "very unsure of who he was and what he wanted" at any time.

I don't know about that one. I mean, he seems to know what he wants, but as I said before, he seems like a desperate boy who wants the things he wants in order to somehow dissuade his insecurities from devouring him. They're not real needs, they are imagined needs.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. My opinions have changed slightly, he acts more like a Gen Y ISTJ when young, and when old he seems more like a Boomer ISTJ.

My issue with Eight is that Eight behavior is supposed to be the NORM for the type, it's their foundational approach to the world...but Anakin's expressions of control seem to always been very brittle and rather desperate at core, underlying all the bravado. It's like an INTP not believing in their Ti, or an ESFJ not believing in his Fe. Anakin seems like someone who wants to be powerful, to feel better about his ego and more worthy, but who believes at core he is not powerful at all and that everyone is laughing at him. It's an insecurity within him. That's not something you normally see in Eights. They never really doubt their power / self-command.

Which function does "someone who wants to be powerful, to feel better about his ego and more worthy, but who believes at core he is not powerful at all and that everyone is laughing at him" represent?

I don't know about that one. I mean, he seems to know what he wants, but as I said before, he seems like a desperate boy who wants the things he wants in order to somehow dissuade his insecurities from devouring him. They're not real needs, they are imagined needs.

The author of that article must think that "not knowing what he wanted" equates with "unstable self-image," a characteristic of BPD. But Anakin's self-image never wavers, and he always knows what he wants. It's only his personality that changes by devolving.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The author of that article must think that "not knowing what he wanted" equates with "unstable self-image," a characteristic of BPD. But Anakin's self-image never wavers, and he always knows what he wants. It's only his personality that changes by devolving.

Do you think so? I always felt like his self-image was brittle and desperate.

he seems very divorced from himself, he forces himself to chase after things that he thinks he is supposed to want but he doesn't seem to be really tapped into the depths of himself. This is one reason he's so volatile, he can't get a calm grounding in himself.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think so? I always felt like his self-image was brittle and desperate.

he seems very divorced from himself, he forces himself to chase after things that he thinks he is supposed to want but he doesn't seem to be really tapped into the depths of himself. This is one reason he's so volatile, he can't get a calm grounding in himself.

What does he force himself to chase after? Padme? The dark side? I don't see him forcing himself.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sexual 8 - Seeking Intimacy/Intensity
•Udit Patel Taking Charge (Ichazo's "Possessiveness")
•LifeExplore

Want stability, loyalty and predictability in close relationships. May feel easily betrayed, and are prone to suspicion. Can love deeply, have a genuine close-up interest in and concern for spouse. Since life is dangerous they want to choose close allies carefully. Attached to the idea of being able to trust completely. Lots of testing of their partner's motives. If they pass the tests then the Eight relaxes. When entranced, this can lead to possessive obsession, and a need to dominate and control partner. Intimate Eights can get codependent, jealous, hooked into the other. Sometimes can't let go; their partner's every move is (over)reacted to. When very unhealthy, spousal abuse scenarios are possible. Stalking, vengeful vows to follow other to the ends of the earth, etc. Connected to the low side of 2.

Sexual 8s are afraid to be abandonned too. A perfect example of Sexual 8 is Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard.

You are wrong Mal+, you can try over and over to prove the contrary but you will always fail.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sexual 8s are afraid to be abandonned too. A perfect example of Sexual 8 is Norma Desmond from Sunset Boulevard.

You are wrong Mal+, you can try over and over to prove the contrary but you will always fail.

You should consider why people do these things, and not merely what they do.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anakin don't do things for the need to be protected. Therefore he is not a 6.

As I said:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Anakin was either ISTP because he was good at fixing things or ISFP because he was so emotional, and his daredevil nature could go with either.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Anakin was either ISTP because he was good at fixing things or ISFP because he was so emotional, and his daredevil nature could go with either.

emotional has little to do with MBTI

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You post that video each time I prove you wrong and you have not arguments anymore. I'm used of it now.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What does he force himself to chase after? Padme? The dark side? I don't see him forcing himself.

I think Eights are far more consciously directed. He just seems to be chasing after things he's supposed to want. ("I have this power, they keep telling me I'm supposed to be the Chosen One, therefore I have to get as much power and control as possible." In the end, he even sacrifices Padme. She's obviously not the most important thing in the world to him on a conscious level, because he's so caught up exploiting the power everyone tells him he has to have as the Chosen One that he ends up de-priotizing and mistrusting her. I think if he really was stable and could see into his own heart, he really wanted her the most in a meaningful way... but instead he either sacrifices her for power or he just experiences it in this angsty 'we're in love so it has to be intense and wild' way. He can't just let himself experience her in a vulnerable way.)

He just really is a man who is very divorced from his true feelings DEEP underneath, it's all befuddled by surface-level needs and wants and self-protection and the demands others have placed on him.

I want SAUSAGES!

Mmmmm. Sausages!!!!

ps.Wait, that's Kids in the Hall, isn't it?

I wonder then what the difference between T and F is.

Sorry, we were wrong.

F's are dripping masses of emotional goo.
Meanwhile, T's are robots.

As a crazy pile of emotional goo with robot limbs, Anakin seems to be the perfect synergy of T and F.