• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Anyone else here read these books (Name of the Wind, A Wise Man's Fear)? I did a forum search but couldn't find a thread on these already. I'm terrible at typing people, but here are some of my thoughts. Feel free to chime in!

Kvothe - ISTP? Loves knowledge that's got practical applications...
Denna - A bruised and damaged INFP?
Wilem - ISTJ
Simmon - ISFP? Maybe?
Fela - INFJ?
Mola - ????
Devi - ESTP?
Ambrose - ????
Auri - ESFP/ENFP?

Masters:
Kilvin - xSTJ?
Lorren - ISTJ?
Elodin - ENTP :D:D
Hemme - ESTJ, perhaps
Herma - ????
Elxa Dal - ESTP?

Go ahead and rip my guesses apart! I don't have much of a knack for typing others, I'm afraid :blush:

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
He is a bit of a fantasy arch-type :D

I forgot about Bast, Chronicler, Abenthy, Alveron, Stapes, Tempi, Hespe, Dedan, Martin, Felurian, Shehyn, Vashet etc.

I didn't bother mentioning the other masters Brandeur and Mandrag because we really don't see very much of them at all.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

Anyone else here read these books (Name of the Wind, A Wise Man's Fear)?
So far only 'The Name of the Wind'. To escape the compulsion to type all the characters, I will just type the most interesting ones:

Kvothe - ENTP
Bast - EFP
Denna - INFP
Wilem - INTJ
Simmon - ISFP
Ambrose - ETJ
Elodin - INTP
Auri - ENFP

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Get cracking on A Wise Man's Fear - it's excellent :D

ENTP for Kvothe eh? Interesting...

Nicodemus

ENTP for Kvothe eh? Interesting...
Yes, mostly based on how he was before the Chandrian changed everything. I could see ESTP as well, but, as a child, he is basically an impersonation of curiosity.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes but ENTPs are very theoretical about things. Kvothe's enormous struggle with Naming and mathematics and other non-concrete concepts would lead me to think he was S rather than N :shrug:

Nicodemus

That argument could be made. One could counter that, perhaps, some parts of his brain are still 'asleep', that the increased focus on practicality came with being thrown into a life of dearth in Tarbean, or that these concepts are just very hard to grasp (even Elodin had to be taught some of these things).

You are a bit ahead of me, though; so maybe I have to change my opinion after reading the second book.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Well that's true. I'm still inclined to think S though - perhaps ESTP instead of ISTP as I originally guessed.

I think you'd know him well enough from the first book to get a sense of his character tbh. And I'm not much good at typing people anyway :yes:

johnhowardhenry

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think Kvothe might be an ENFP. A lot of his actions are predicated on how he feels about something. He's also extremely quick to grasp how a thing works, which makes me think extraverted intuition. This also fits in with the idea that his shadow functions, based on his time in Tarbean, come out in times of stress, making him ISTJ (possibly ISTP) in order to survive the harsh realities of his situation. He reminds me a little of Steve Jobs actually, at least in the biographies I've read, who I also type as an ENFP. Highly intuitively intelligent, quick to feel anger or pride, and interested in many many things all at the same time. Also a champion of what he believes in.

Nicodemus

Well that's true. I'm still inclined to think S though - perhaps ESTP instead of ISTP as I originally guessed.
I think I agree with you now on Kvothe's type: ESTP.

Others (including changes):

Bast - ESFP
Denna - ENFP
Wilem - INTJ
Simmon - ISFP
Fela - INFJ
Ambrose - ETJ
Elodin - ENTP
Auri - INFP
Devi - Salomé
Alveron - ISTJ
Stapes - ISTJ
Tempi - ISTP
Felurian - ENFP
Shehyn - INTP
Vashet - ESTP

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
So ya finally read Book 2 eh? I don't know if Felurian can be typed. Though I totally buy Vashet as ESTP. Good call :D

In other news, I saw an interview with Pat Rothfuss the other day where he said that Day 3 won't be out in 2013. I'm devastated.