• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Iron Man

What is Tony Stark's Type?

• ENTP

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • ESTP

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
Tony Stark: ENTP sounds about right; ENTJ could be a possibility too though.
Pepper: ISFJ
Obadiah: ENTJ (seems to use more Te than Ni)
Dr. Yinsen: INTP

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Can someone please explain how he slipped through the cracks of California's 3-strikes law?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, I came into this thread positive that he was an ESTP and I kinda expected this to be an easy one.

He's a classic charmer, into all the finer things in life, fine clothes, womanizer, whatever, clearly indulges his senses often. (And he appears to have excellent taste :D).

He improvised a freakin rocket suit. And built it, from scratch, by himself.

He's a mechanical genius, he doesn't care about philosophy or politics, he just wants to build awesome machines and then fine-tune them until they're even more awesome.

How on earth is that more ENTP than ESTP? :confused:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, I came into this thread positive that he was an ESTP and I kinda expected this to be an easy one.

He's a classic charmer, into all the finer things in life, fine clothes, womanizer, whatever, clearly indulges his senses often. (And he appears to have excellent taste :D).

He improvised a freakin rocket suit. And built it, from scratch, by himself.

He's a mechanical genius, he doesn't care about philosophy or politics, he just wants to build awesome machines and then fine-tune them until they're even more awesome.

How on earth is that more ENTP than ESTP? :confused:

Mostly cause he thinks of things (like the reactor that powers his heart/suit) that other scientists can't figure out.

He does act like an ESTP though.

comicsgurl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Man...I'm coming on this late, but it's great to see a discussion on Iron Man. I was a huge fan back in the day (collected about a decade's worth of books...and I ended up buying the entire collection on CD after the movie).

I think in the comics Tony is played more as an ENTJ, or even ESTP. But the movie works to bring out a human side to him - a more vulnerable side - that works even better. In the movie, I really do think he's played as ENTP, which enhances his character or me. It's as if the character were missing something in the books...and then I realized it: Downey's ENTP Tony made the character far more three dimensional and more personable. And more vulnerable. Perfect set-up for the sequel if they choose to go with his alcoholism.

BTW, did anyone else catch his cameo in The Incredible Hulk?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Man...I'm coming on this late, but it's great to see a discussion on Iron Man. I was a huge fan back in the day (collected about a decade's worth of books...and I ended up buying the entire collection on CD after the movie).

Where and how much?

I think in the comics Tony is played more as an ENTJ, or even ESTP. But the movie works to bring out a human side to him - a more vulnerable side - that works even better. In the movie, I really do think he's played as ENTP, which enhances his character or me. It's as if the character were missing something in the books...and then I realized it: Downey's ENTP Tony made the character far more three dimensional and more personable. And more vulnerable. Perfect set-up for the sequel if they choose to go with his alcoholism.

I suspect that is exactly where they are going.

comicsgurl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Where and how much?

I found it on Amazon.com, but whoo-ee, the price has gone up. It was in stock when I purchased it at a little under $50. You might find it somewhere else cheaper, because Amazon no longer stocks it. The lowest price I'm seeing right now is $99: Amazon.com: The Invincible Iron Man: The Complete Collection: Software

I suspect that is exactly where they are going.

I hope they get into his alcohol issues, but it's hard to bring it to the big screen and resolve it in two hours. To me, it would be better to start him on the off-path in the second movie, and resolve it in a third movie. As big as a blockbuster as IM was, I think there's a guarantee for IM 2 and IM3.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's a bit expensive.

I think they are going to make two sequels, so I agree we shouldn't see the resolution (if any) of the alcoholic storyline.

scarecrow

MBTI Type
intj
tony stark/iron man more entj than entp in comics, esp. support of registration act

more entp in movie and marvel's new

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Movie: Iron Man 2

I'm posting this here because I'm specifically interested in NT opinions on character types. I'm not a big "physics" guy myself nor am I a huge fan of sci-fi but, as I sat and watched, I couldn't help but notice the dominance of NT archetypes.

Stark (Downey, Jr.) seemed ENTP
CEO of Hammer Industries seemed ENTJ
Russian physicist (Mickey Rourke) seemed INTJ

Agree? Disagree?

All that I found lacking was a good old-fashioned INTP :D

JHBowden

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
This portrayal of Hammer seemed more like an ESTP to me, very tactical in the way he approached everything, always ready to make a deal. Iron Monger from the last movie might be a better candidate for ENTJ, though he wasn't completely rounded out as a character.

I agree with Stark and Vanko as ENTP and INTJ, though there is probably a case to be made for ENFP and INFJ as well.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm posting this here because I'm specifically interested in NT opinions on character types. I'm not a big "physics" guy myself nor am I a huge fan of sci-fi but, as I sat and watched, I couldn't help but notice the dominance of NT archetypes.

Stark (Downey, Jr.) seemed ENTP
CEO of Hammer Industries seemed ENTJ
Russian physicist (Mickey Rourke) seemed INTJ

Agree? Disagree?
Agree.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Haven't seen the sequel but I was forced to watch the first one as I was stuck on a coach with a collective television.

I'm curious as to why anyone thinks the protagonist (I forget his name, I'm referring to the spoilt playboy turned moralistic war criminal, - gotta love the American bourgeosie's version of a "coming of age" story a la Bush Jr.), is an N...

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah, believe it or not, as I watched the movie I thought "people on the forum would totally type this guy as an S except that he is smart and OBVIOUSLY S's can't be smart." I knew he would end up ENTP.

If he wasn't actually shown as being extremely smart what would people type him as? You guys do realize that there have to be maybe a few anomalies to the "anyone who is exceptionally smart is an NT" right? Oh, never mind.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
HATED THIS MOVIE.
just throwing that out there.

let me tell you why. two reasons.

-What'shisface was a TERRIBLE protagonist/superhero. Superheroes are supposed to be charismatic, leading, noble, and humanitarian figures. this guy was a self-righteous know-it-all hot shot. Not the kind of guy I'd look to as a superhero.

-The plot was incredibly week, the climax was incredibly anti-climatic, and the ending was scattered and stupid.

I definitely ended up liking the antagonist most of all. Definitely respected him much, much more than Downy, jr.

but the action was pretty chill.

Tony Stark- TOTAL ENTJ
Lt. Col. James- IxFJ
Scarlett Johansson's character- INTJ
Gwyneth Paltrow's character- ENFx
Ivan Vanko- INxP <-- (favorite character award)
Justin Hammer- ESTJ (dick)
Samuel L. Jackson's character- BADASS (probably ENTP)

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, believe it or not, as I watched the movie I thought "people on the forum would totally type this guy as an S except that he is smart and OBVIOUSLY S's can't be smart." I knew he would end up ENTP.

If he wasn't actually shown as being extremely smart what would people type him as? You guys do realize that there have to be maybe a few anomalies to the "anyone who is exceptionally smart is an NT" right? Oh, never mind.

I didn't type him as ENTP because he was smart. I typed him as ENTP because he seemed to have Ne as a primary function with Ti as a back-up (lots of careful analysis, like when he was looking at the new element, etc.).

Never once in the movie did I think, "oh he's totally an S. But he's smart. Therefore he's N." That wasn't the reasoning at all. He reminded me of some ENTP's that I know.

EDIT: And by the way, why would you type him as an S? Just because there is such a thing as smart S's, therefore he must be one? Or did you find reasons why you personally thought he was an S?