User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is Tony Stark's Type?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENTP

14 56.00%
  • ESTP

8 32.00%
  • ENTJ

2 8.00%
  • ESTJ

1 4.00%
First 678910 Last

Thread: Iron Man

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC View Post
    I'm going agree with Babylon Candle and tcda on this one. Stark has a ton of Se. He's putting things together and making it work, not brainstorming and mapping out everything before proceeding. That's one of the major differences between the two. They both have analytical Ti to back up their primary function, but Se is "do it right now and see if it works" while Ne "brainstorm on paper first".

He also seems very focused on -current- fame and fortune. Ne users are more future oriented
    alright, you've actually sort of convinced me.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Yeah, believe it or not, as I watched the movie I thought "people on the forum would totally type this guy as an S except that he is smart and OBVIOUSLY S's can't be smart." I knew he would end up ENTP.

If he wasn't actually shown as being extremely smart what would people type him as? You guys do realize that there have to be maybe a few anomalies to the "anyone who is exceptionally smart is an NT" right? Oh, never mind.
    I agree I don't really buy into the idea that there is any real quantifiable type/intelligence association. If there really was anything scientifically significant about the argument, you'd have to submit your personality test scores along with your GRE, SAT, GPA etc when attempting to get into university/apply for jobs etc, hell we could even do away with all the IQ testing. ; )

Just to argue an alternative view point. According to the profile I read about INTPs here - http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html
    it's possible that Tony Stark might be an INTP with lots of money and no trouble getting laid, which tends to bring out the extrovert in some people. The guy didn't seem to have much direction and hated the mundane boringness of real life responsibilities

but then again... since he's a fictional character he might just be a blend of a few different types haphazardly thrown together by an author who never studied psyche or MBTI.

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm siding with the estp's on this one. Stark is way too concerned about his appearence to be anything else.

Out of curiosity, is there anybody else here who actually reads the comics?
    Call me Visa, please!
    visakanv.com
    visaisahero.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by spin-1/2-nuclei View Post
    but then again... since he's a fictional character he might just be a blend of a few different types haphazardly thrown together by an author who never studied psyche or MBTI.
    Comic characters are fleshed out not by one author but many- they go through many different changes!
    Call me Visa, please!
    visakanv.com
    visaisahero.tumblr.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I'm sold Stark= ESTP

Hammer on the other hand, is a pretender, he's clearly trying to be a bigshot businessman, but he fails at it. He's a P, his attitude isn't serious enough to be a J. I suspect INTP, I'd have to find some quotes or something...

Stark was never the hero in this movie, if he was, we'd have just seen Iron Man 1 again, and I guess the idea was that the audience feels what everyone in the movie would have felt about him (let down I suppose).

I really really liked the bit where Rourke came out with his lightning whips, that sent chills down my spine.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Likely.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I always wondered to what extent the "mechanics" of a personality mean that fictional characters necessarilly fit into MBTI types or not.

For example does it "naturally" happen that if you give a acharacter dom-Te, that their inferior will be Fi, etc., regardless of th author never havign ehard of MBTI?

I think it kind of makes sense.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I agree I don't really buy into the idea that there is any real quantifiable type/intelligence association. If there really was anything scientifically significant about the argument, you'd have to submit your personality test scores along with your GRE, SAT, GPA etc when attempting to get into university/apply for jobs etc, hell we could even do away with all the IQ testing. ; )
    Well obviously type isn't so correlated with intelligence that it can become a placeholder for it, and using it as such is a very bad idea (If so I should be on the bottom half of his site's intelligence curve, as most people here are Introverted Intuitives). That doesn't mean there's zero correlation between type and intelligence. A study published in the 2003 edition of the European Journal of Psychology found a strong correlation between Myers-Briggs Intuition and IQ, and a somewhat weaker one between Introversion and IQ. I haven't found a free copy to show you guys, but if you wanna search for one, the name of the study is: Demographic and Personality predictors of intelligence: A study using the neo Personality inventory and the Myers-Briggs Type indicator.

Just to argue an alternative view point. According to the profile I read about INTPs here - Portrait of an INTP
    it's possible that Tony Stark might be an INTP with lots of money and no trouble getting laid, which tends to bring out the extrovert in some people.
    Yeah, therefore he's an Extroverted NTP, or ENTP.

The guy didn't seem to have much direction and hated the mundane boringness of real life responsibilities
    Indicating Perception. Not necessarily INTP.

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I always wondered to what extent the "mechanics" of a personality mean that fictional characters necessarilly fit into MBTI types or not.

For example does it "naturally" happen that if you give a acharacter dom-Te, that their inferior will be Fi, etc., regardless of th author never havign ehard of MBTI?

I think it kind of makes sense.
    I don't buy that the lower functions of a person necessarily fit their higher functions (By my own estimation I'm Ne Ti Se Fi rather than Ne Ti Fe Si for example), but to me it seems that a properly written character would have more or less coherent higher functions, so most characters are typable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Yeah, believe it or not, as I watched the movie I thought "people on the forum would totally type this guy as an S except that he is smart and OBVIOUSLY S's can't be smart." I knew he would end up ENTP.

If he wasn't actually shown as being extremely smart what would people type him as? You guys do realize that there have to be maybe a few anomalies to the "anyone who is exceptionally smart is an NT" right? Oh, never mind.
    Smart is a vague term. Any type can be smart, but "smart" is going to look differently for each type. "Inventive" is a more specific word, and "inventive" describes an N better than an S. "Witty, smartass" is an even more specific description, and those traits are more common in ENTPs than in other types.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com