User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is Tony Stark's Type?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENTP

14 56.00%
  • ESTP

8 32.00%
  • ENTJ

2 8.00%
  • ESTJ

1 4.00%
First 89101112 Last

Thread: Iron Man

ReflecTcelfeR

I have read that S's enjoy the application process more than the actual thinking up of the idea that N's do. Eh.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Ok, so maybe or maybe not inventors "tend to be N's". I don't know because as a Ti-dom and not an N-dom the "inventor" archetype is never one I have related to or looked into, tbh.

But on its own, inventing something doesn't define someone as an N, we have to know more about their personality.

MBTI is about preference, not ability. Making a flying suit is a result which can arise from different ways of information gathering, information processing and communication of information. The character may have shown great inventiveness to make a suit but this doesn't mean that the fundament of his personality is N.

Maybe some N's don't liek the idea that, just like an N can be very good at physical pursuits if they put their mind to it but in normal mode tend not be as good as S's as it is not their main preference, S's can be as good at understanding and applying an abstract theory as an N if they have a real motivation to do so, but simply normally prefer not to focus on this aspect.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Look at all the ENTPs in this thread.. arguing that they're such bad-asses!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

haha, we're not bad asses--Tony Stark is the imaginary super ideal that ENTPs wish they could be.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    haha, we're not bad asses--Tony Stark is the imaginary super ideal that ENTPs wish they could be.
    If Tony Stark is an ENTP, which I doubt, I still don't see why an ENTP would look up to him, save for his intelligence.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    it is in large part to do the fact of whether one likes concrete facts or theories, for example. a flying suit is a very concrete concept.
    Most inventions (official ENTP domain) are concrete things. Where abstraction comes in is in picturing something that doesn't exist already, but totally should, then figuring out how to make it a reality. That is conceptual N work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Clealry in the parallel universe of Iron Man, it is a concrete idea.

I didn't watch the 2nd one as I disliked the first one so much, but in the first one, the guy is like "it was ok when I was selling arms to Amerkins to smoke out A-rabs, but now I'm pissed off at these A-rabs using my guns to kill white innocent people, so Ima make me a suit and go massacre some myself".

Then he goes and makes the suit in order to fulfill that immediate purpose, whcih he then proceeds to fulfill.

At no point is he an abstract personality speculating with ideas as his main form of operating.
    You're forgetting the bit where he designed an awesome suit that did not previously exist, that no "sane" person would consider possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    You're forgetting the bit where he designed an awesome suit that did not previously exist, that no "sane" person would consider possible.
    Sure they could. He just found it ridiculously easy to comprehend. It might not have existed but apart from the technical feat that came naturally to him, he didn't put that much imagination in it.

MBTI
    INTP

Movie Tony is ENTP. I don't think he's douchey at all, but instead someone who grew up with an emotionally distant father and more money than he knew what to do with. Tony was able to coast by in life thanks to his fortune, his good looks, and his charm. It wasn't until he was attacked with his own weapons in Afghanistan that he had to confront the reality of his life's work.

In the first movie, when he's trapped in the cave with his heart connected to a car battery, Tony is clearly depressed and says, "I'm going to die in a week anyway." Yinsen replies, "Well, then this is the most important week of your life." As soon as he hears this, Tony seems to revive, as though all he needed was this perspective flip and suddenly he's in genius mode again. Instead of wallowing in self-pity and misery, he escapes and sets a new goal for himself: to take his weapons off the market and protect innocent people from violence.

In the sequel, as it becomes increasingly obvious that the palladium is failing and he's dying, he becomes more and more thrill-seeking. Even at his darkest, he's still the wise-cracking ENTP, the sort of guy who could drunkenly order his DJ to lay down "some phat beats that I can kick my buddy's ass to".

Ivan Vanko also fascinated me; Rourke did a lot with his limited part. I suspect he's an INTP. The only things in his life he seems to care about are his father and his parrots. As Tony Stark points out, with his intellect and engineering skills, he could've become a wealthy man, but none of it seems to matter to Vanko. He's got an impish, INTPish sense of humor, such as when he talks in Russian to Justin Hammer just to piss him off, or turns Hammer's words back around on him: "Hey dude, don't get too attached to things."

But I think what sells INTP for him to me is the scene where Hammer storms into his room, backed up by two huge bodyguards, and snatches Vanko's shoes and stuffs the parrot in a bag. Vanko is so stoic, in contrast to the way Hammer is flailing around and yelling like a little boy. I think he and Tony make a good matchup because of how similar and yet how fundamentally different they are -- the ENTP versus the INTP.

And yes, I've read the comic book Iron Man, and that Tony is more ENTJ.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
    Sure they could. He just found it ridiculously easy to comprehend. It might not have existed but apart from the technical feat that came naturally to him, he didn't put that much imagination in it.
    Did we see the same movies? Tony's Iron Man tech is so ahead of its time, Obadiah Stane could only replicate it by piecing together bits of his original suit. In the sequel, Ivan Vanko recreates the arc reactor technology based on blueprints left by his father, one of its original creators, and he's established as a robotics prodigy in his own right. Neither the North Korean nor the Iranian governments, nor even the US government, is capable of replicating Tony's Iron Man technology. Justin Hammer, the CEO of a major cybernetics corporation, is pathetic compared to Tony or Ivan, and only engineers the War Machine armor based on, yet again, a kidnapped Iron Man suit. The only person in both movies on Tony's level is Ivan Vanko when it comes to technology.
    Last edited by Mipp; 05-15-2010 at 01:08 AM. Reason: sp