• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type is Yoda?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Intp. Although it might be fun to make the case for estj that over the course of his 800 years accessed his transcendent function and became one with the universe

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Intp. Although it might be fun to make the case for estj that over the course of his 800 years accessed his transcendent function and became one with the universe

ESTJ . . . is very unlikely. Unless of course your talking about canon outside the films, however I'm not really familiar with the Star Wars EU.

Why INTP?

JLM

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Triliogy : INTP

Prequels: INFJ

His portrayal was different in each of the six movies

Trilogy he came across as some old goofy wizard/professor

Prequels he came across as a crusader

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Triliogy : INTP

Prequels: INFJ

His portrayal was different in each of the six movies

Trilogy he came across as some old goofy wizard/professor

Prequels he came across as a crusader

I'm not sure that he came across as anything other than an idiot within the prequel trilogy. Seriously, all he ever does is offer useless advice and stand around looking confused at the obvious mechinations and evil plots going on around him (well, that could be said for just about everybody in the films except Palpatine). And then in episode two he contradicts his entire philosophy (the video above about 'being one with the force') from the original trilogy by pulling out a baby sized lightsaber and resorting to hands-on jumping combat; the point of Yoda was that he was beyond such means of battle, beyond the lightsaber (which itself is a tool for those who aren't completely at one with the force actually), he had ascended to the force through means of his soul; that he (nor anyone) didn't need to be physically strong in order to be a great jedi.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yoda said:
difficult to see... always in motion the future is

Yod is an NP, not an NJ. Nuff said, he's not an INFJ.

The jedi philosophy prescribe that it's better to stay away from emotionl attachments, and Yoda is completely at ease with that. INFJs care about communication and harmony, Yoda never makes gloves to speak the truth and say critics in the most straightforward manner.A mark of Thinker. Yoda judge people in an objective way, and don't care about compasion and nurturing, he just says what he thinks with precise words and objectivity.

Yoda place impersonal objectivity above personal subjectivity, then he is a Thinker, not a Feeler.

Yoda is not an INFJ, he's an INTP. CQFD.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

*facepalm* Even an NJ could regonize that the future cannot always be predicted in a perfect manner, especially if circumstances leave unknown variables that could lead to any sort of possible results. Ni might be able to predict where those results could lead, but they certainly wouldn't have the ability to do so perfectly, nor does it mean they need to be borderline-psychics in order to have Ni.

The jedi philosophy prescribe that it's better to stay away from emotionl attachments, and Yoda is completely at ease with that. INFJs care about communication and harmony, Yoda never makes gloves to speak the truth and say critics in the most straightforward manner.A mark of Thinker. Yoda judge people in an objective way, and don't care about compasion and nurturing, he just says what he thinks with precise words and objectivity.

Yoda place impersonal objectivity above personal subjectivity, then he is a Thinker, not a Feeler.

You're taking the split between thinker and feeler far too literally; it has nothing to do with actual emotion. F's can be could-hearted pricks in as much as T's can be sentimental cry-babies. The seperation between the two is a matter of making logical judements vs. value judgements, but even a logical person can make a rational choice from emotion, as can a person make a value judement that is callous, cruel, or evil.

And it would follow from the above definition that Yoda is certain Fe due to the fact that his entire value system is roted from the stoic philosophy of the jedi; values of his external group which he asheres to. Which I should mention, isn't any amount of personal subjectivity, but rather is of itself following an impersonal conduct of rules, or in this case, values as to how to live life.

And INTP on the other hand, someone with inferior Fe, wouldn't even consider buying that deeply into such a philosophy without question. In fact an INTP would be far more likely analyze the shit out of such beleifes and sooner question the validity of them as opposed to advocated them as though they were ultimately real. Okay, sure, maybe other types would be capable of the same, but my gut doesn't agree with the idea of an INTP accetping such devote religious beleifs.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ_per.html
"INFJs who have a well-developed Extraverted Feeling function to complement their dominant Introverted iNtuition will enjoy these very special gifts:

They can turn their insightful understanding about a situation into a successful plan of action.
The INFJ with well-developed judgment will be able to grasp and process concepts that are beyond what their natural intelligence appears to be able to handle.
They may achieve a level of understanding that makes them appear wise.
The INFJ's perfectionism and idealism, when combined with their empathy and genuine concern for others, can cause them to be true servants for people in some fashion. They may be great doctors or ministers or counselors. If they have also achieved a good amount of life wisdom, they can become powerful forces, such as Jesus (INFJ) and Mahatma Ghandi (INFJ)."

KDude

I think he's INTP. From what I recall at least, he doesn't seem to promote or express Fi or Fe exactly. Just instruction, right thinking, and opening your mind. At the end of the day, he's a critic, pretty much skeptical of everyone's else's ideas, and ultimately doesn't want anything to do with people. I mean, he lives on a planet apparently all by himself. Qui-Gon seemed to take a more Fe approach (and probably Ni too). About the only time Yoda uses Fe is when he acts perky, poking and prodding into Luke's space, and steals Luke's food. Trying to cheer him up and shit.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Ti, at any rate, is a subjective thinker. The objective functions are the four extraverted ones.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he's INTP. From what I recall at least, he doesn't seem to promote or express Fi or Fe exactly. Just instruction, right thinking, and opening your mind. At the end of the day, he's a critic, skeptical, and ultimately doesn't want anything to do with people either. I mean, he lives on a planet apparently all by himself.

The remaining Jedi went into exile. Obi-wan went to Tatooine which is where he took Luke as a baby. Yoda fled to Dagobah. These are remote planets with few if any inhabitants. The most you can rightly say is that Yoda is an introvert who is comfortable with being alone for long periods.

Qui-Gon seemed to take a more Fe approach (and probably Ni too). About the only time Yoda uses Fe is when he acts perky, poking and prodding into Luke's space, and steals Luke's food. Trying to cheer him up and shit.

I hardly think that's the only purpose Fe serves him, even if it applies to trying to cheer someone up. It is far more applicable to Yoda's uncanny ability to read others' feelings and attitudes (unless blocked by some intervening power). It is not Fe alone that matters but Ni+Fe.

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ_per.html

"They understand how others are feeling, and are genuinely concerned with others. This natural empathy and caring helps to be really effective at helping others through problems. In this manner, they make great friends, counselors, teachers, and mates."

KDude

The remaining Jedi went into exile. Obi-wan went to Tatooine which is where he took Luke as a baby. Yoda fled to Dagobah. These are remote planets with few if any inhabitants. The most you can rightly say is that Yoda is an introvert who is comfortable with being alone for long periods.

I know that, but only Obi-Wan was forced to go to a specific place. Yoda had more choices, even if he needed to hide. Yet he chose an unhabited swamp planet. He could have chosen a remote village or something. Someplace that would feed his main "functions", if he was one bit inclined to have human connections or observe social life. He didn't. And it can't be just because he was scared. He's Yoda.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yoda seems like an Ni dom to me because the strength of his intuition. He seems to know things that nobody could really know and converges on some insight or observation. I guess you could say it is because he is connected the the force but I have always drawn this connection between intuition and the force. It has always seems somewhat Ni like to me. I'd go with T over F. In either case, I think the way you need to look at it is that he is a mature and well balanced type of whatever he is and so it makes it harder to determine type because the preferences are moderated.

KDude

If he was Ni, I don't think he'd take such plodding pace, and encourage his "wait and see" approach, like he is with Qui Gon. Anakin has some immature Ni popping up too, and Yoda waves him off. He doesn't align with their thinking, when they're so sure of destiny, or how the "time is now for me to do this". Anakin comes to Yoda about his premonitions too, and Yoda just tells him he's afraid of loss, and to be at peace with what happens. Even if it means his mom will die. They have a stronger sense of changing the future.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If he was Ni, I don't think he'd take such plodding pace, and encourage his "wait and see" approach, like he is with Qui Gon. Anakin has some immature Ni popping up too, and Yoda waves him off. He doesn't align with their thinking, when they're so sure of destiny, or how the "time is now for me to do this". Anakin comes to Yoda about his premonitions too, and Yoda just tells him he's afraid of loss, and to be at peace with what happens. Even if it means his mom will die. They have a stronger sense of changing the future.

Advice-giving and counseling others is an Fe behavior. But he hesitates only because of unclarity. Ni-dom is an inner form of perception which requires information first to pass on to the secondary judging function. If judgment came first he would be far more likely to act in the absence of information.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know that, but only Obi-Wan was forced to go to a specific place. Yoda had more choices, even if he needed to hide. Yet he chose an unhabited swamp planet. He could have chosen a remote village or something. Someplace that would feed his main "functions", if he was one bit inclined to have human connections or observe social life. He didn't. And it can't be just because he was scared. He's Yoda.

Why is everything in Star Wars either a desert planet, a forest planet, a cloud planet, or a swamp planet?

KDude

Why is everything in Star Wars either a desert planet, a forest planet, a cloud planet, or a swamp planet?

There's that one planet that was completely urban (where anakin/obi had a chase with a bounty hunter).

Why do I even remember this shit..

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's that one planet that was completely urban (where anakin/obi had a chase with a bounty hunter).

Why do I even remember this shit..

You mean Coruscant? :laugh:

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not sure that he came across as anything other than an idiot within the prequel trilogy. Seriously, all he ever does is offer useless advice and stand around looking confused at the obvious mechinations and evil plots going on around him (well, that could be said for just about everybody in the films except Palpatine). And then in episode two he contradicts his entire philosophy (the video above about 'being one with the force') from the original trilogy by pulling out a baby sized lightsaber and resorting to hands-on jumping combat; the point of Yoda was that he was beyond such means of battle, beyond the lightsaber (which itself is a tool for those who aren't completely at one with the force actually), he had ascended to the force through means of his soul; that he (nor anyone) didn't need to be physically strong in order to be a great jedi.

Keep in mind though that the Prequel Trilogy occurred before the Original Trilogy, and that the downfall of the Jedi could have made quite an impact on him.