User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 378

  1. #41
    Senior Member Space_Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    CAT
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but you guys have some pretty boxed in ideas about INFPs.
    I sure don't I just think there's a strong pattern in archetypes in fantasy fiction (such a "simple" fiction is perhaps where the archetypes come into play the most), and "mentor" is not the archetype I would associate first and foremost with INFPs. It's theoretically possible Yoda is an INFP, but I could come up with archetypes that would fit him better, and NFJ would be among them indeed.

    I just think that the "mentor" archetype is more likely a J than a P. You could say that, for example, Dumbledore or Gandalf are actually Ps, but their role in the story is certainly J.
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

    - SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

  2. #42
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Space_Oddity View Post
    I sure don't I just think there's a strong pattern in archetypes in fantasy fiction (such a "simple" fiction is perhaps where the archetypes come into play the most), and "mentor" is not the archetype I would associate first and foremost with INFPs. It's theoretically possible Yoda is an INFP, but I could come up with archetypes that would fit him better, and NFJ would be among them indeed.

    I just think that the "mentor" archetype is more likely a J than a P. You could say that, for example, Dumbledore or Gandalf are actually Ps, but their role in the story is certainly J.
    Your argument is based on an assumption that Ps don't mentor people. You've created a false association between "J" and "mentor" and assumed that anyone who mentors people is most probably a J. That's silly. A lot of NPs enjoy imparting knowledge on others simply because they enjoy discussing and passing on their areas of interest. In Yoda's case, he knows it's his moral duty to teach Luke the ways of the Jedi in order to save the universe from evil. That could quite easily be motivated by Fi.

    If you're basing this on MBTI's oversimplification of what P/J means, I'd suggest checking out some resources on Jungian functions.

    If you're going to argue that Yoda is a J, you need to show evidence of his use of introverted perception (Si/Ni) and extroverted judgment (Fe/Te.) Until then you're just enforcing meaningless stereotypes and not providing any real content.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #43
    Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Now that I've come across Victor's posts, I'm convinced that Yoda's type is Victor's type.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Space_Oddity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    CAT
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Your argument is based on an assumption that Ps don't mentor people. You've created a false association between "J" and "mentor" and assumed that anyone who mentors people is most probably a J. That's silly. A lot of NPs enjoy imparting knowledge on others simply because they enjoy discussing and passing on their areas of interest. In Yoda's case, he knows it's his moral duty to teach Luke the ways of the Jedi in order to save the universe from evil. That could quite easily be motivated by Fi.

    If you're basing this on MBTI's oversimplification of what P/J means, I'd suggest checking out some resources on Jungian functions.

    If you're going to argue that Yoda is a J, you need to show evidence of his use of introverted perception (Si/Ni) and extroverted judgment (Fe/Te.) Until then you're just enforcing meaningless stereotypes and not providing any real content.
    Oh... I guess I'm ending this discussion, I really can't argument about Yoda because I've seen Star Wars 5 years ago for the last time and frankly I can't remember any real evidence of Ni/Fe vs. Fi/Ne

    I'm pretty comfortable with Jungian functions, don't worry. But that doesn't change the fact that this discussion will also take the same way as any discussion about Gandalf or Dumbledore or any other mentor. In my opinion they're primarily "old, wise and cool", not really "types" MBTI-wise, and that's why I usually don't participate in such discussions, and I should have done so here as well
    Her head hung down
    Gazed at earth, finally keen,
    As the rabbit at the stoat,
    Till the earth was sky,
    Sky that was green,
    And brown clouds passed
    Like chestnut leaves along the ground.

    - SUSAN ANN AND IMMORTALITY, T. E. Hulme

  5. #45
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but you guys have some pretty boxed in ideas about INFPs.
    Not at all. He quite easily could be an INFP, but are there any particularly compelling reasons for thinking he's an introvert other than having spent a few decades on his own in a swamp?

    I agree with the functions you're proposing, just not their arrangement. The guy's an Extroverted NFP all the way.

  6. #46
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    Now that I've come across Victor's posts, I'm convinced that Yoda's type is Victor's type.
    INFP

  7. #47
    Senior Member TopherRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    Go to your cave, Luke.
    Love is the point.

  8. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I believe he was ENFJ. ENFJ tend to go introverted at times, and we have the mind game ability as JEDIs so id say ENFJs are jedi!! just putting it out there...

  9. #49
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoSunshine View Post
    You mean kind of like arguing that Yoda was an ENFJ is of vital importance? I think you have proved your point.
    Think of the fate of the Universe!!

  10. #50
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Not at all. He quite easily could be an INFP, but are there any particularly compelling reasons for thinking he's an introvert other than having spent a few decades on his own in a swamp?

    I agree with the functions you're proposing, just not their arrangement. The guy's an Extroverted NFP all the way.
    I could go with ENFP much, much more easily than either NFJ type.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Similar Threads

  1. What type is Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle)
    By Athenian200 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
  2. What type is House?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1046
    Last Post: 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
  3. What type is Falcarius the dinosaur?
    By Falcarius in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
  4. What type is he?
    By Climber07 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
  5. What type is the most pedantic?
    By Kiddo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO