• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type is Yoda?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Luke is a true F. He is driven by feelings and when his relatives are threatened, he must act based on his emotional impulses and can't think. While Yoda is always level-headed and rational. The difference is clear. Luke is a F, Yoda is a T.

The difference is in their levels of maturity. You're thinking in terms of stereotypes. Skylight's angry INTP father can tell you that INTP is not THE level-headed type, nor is any other T. There is no such thing as a level-headed type. Furthermore, Jung considered both F and T to be rationals. I believe this has also been pointed out to you.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every iNtuitors are abstracts in their speech and therefore can look cryptic. Every N, not only INFJs.

There is a big difference between "abstract" (your term) and "cryptic" (his term).

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The difference is in their levels of maturity. You're thinking in terms of stereotypes. Skylight's angry INTP father can tell you that INTP is not THE level-headed type, nor is any other T. There is no such thing as a level-headed type. Furthermore, Jung considered both F and T to be rationals. I believe this has also been pointed out to you.

Every descriptions tell that Thinker are level-headed, so being level-headed is a clue that someone is a T. A T can be emotional, but hardly let his emotions guide him to take decisions. And Yoda never let his emotions guide him. Also, maturity has nothing to do with that. Even in the expanded universe, when Luke become far more mature, he still have that strong leaning to look at the human and emotional side to take decision, at a point that Yoda has never been.

In ROTJ, Luke has matured, but the difference T/F between him and Yoda still clear. Luke want to see the good in Darth Vader and try to help him. Yoda analyse the situation in an harsh and utilitarian way: he is dangerous > so he must die > end of the story.

There is a big difference between "abstract" (your term) and "cryptic" (his term).

Actually, Yoda is not cryptic. He is abstract and can be vague (NP), but when he has to explain someting, he can also do it in a harsh, precise and concise way.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If Yoda is INTP than a lot of the Buddhist thinkers he's modeled after such as Buddha and Lao Tzu might be INTP (or they might all be INFJ).

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By your definitions Speedy I'd be an ISTP... I don't think it really works that way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every descriptions tell that Thinker are level-headed, so being level-headed is a clue that someone is a T.

I have just read http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html and it said nothing about their being level-headed.

A T can be emotional, but hardly let his emotions guide him to take decisions.

Are you sure about that?

And Yoda never let his emotions guide him.

Are you sure about that?

Also, maturity has nothing to do with that. Even in the expanded universe, when Luke become far more mature, he still have that strong leaning to look at the human and emotional side to take decision, at a point that Yoda has never been.

Duh, Luke is an Fi-dom. While Yoda has Feeling in the second function position.

In ROTJ, Luke has matured, but the difference T/F between him and Yoda still clear. Luke want to see the good in Darth Vader and try to help him. Yoda analyse the situation in an harsh and utilitarian way: he is dangerous > so he must die > end of the story.

Actually, Yoda counseled Luke not to underestimate the power of the Emperor. But if Yoda is "harsh and utilitarian" then that is a good argument for him being a Sensing type.

Actually, Yoda is not cryptic. He is abstract and can be vague (NP), but when he has to explain someting, he can also do it in a harsh, precise and concise way.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have just read http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html and it said nothing about their being level-headed.
Are you sure about that?
Are you sure about that?

Thinker tend to be level-headed in diffcult situation. Every descriptions say it, even if they don't necessarly use that word in particulary, the sense still the same.

Duh, Luke is an Fi-dom. While Yoda has Feeling in the second function position.

Sophism. An Fe-aux is as much F than a Fi dom. Just like a Te-aux like Obi-Wan is as much T than a Ti dom like Yoda.

Actually, Yoda counseled Luke not to underestimate the power of the Emperor.

That's just an objective obseravation about the power of the enemy. Analysis. Nothing especially INFJ related.

But if Yoda is "harsh and utilitarian" then that is a good argument for him being a Sensing type.

No. Every Thinkers tend to be harsh. And the utilitarian temperaments are the Artisans and the Rationals.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Yoda is simplu telling to luke to see consider things as they truly are. So it's about objective truth (Ti) not personal vision (Ni). Yoda manipulate ideas, but it's not hiw own idea or planning for the future. It's just an objective vision of the world.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thinking (T)
When I make a decision, I like to find the basic truth or principle to be applied, regardless of the specific situation involved. I like to analyze pros and cons, and then be consistent and logical in deciding. I try to be impersonal, so I won’t let my personal wishes--or other people’s wishes--influence me.

Yoda is totally like this.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I enjoy technical and scientific fields where logic is important.

Yodais not a scientist. Doesn't mean that he is a F though.

I notice inconsistencies.

Cleraly him. None inconstiencies can pass withiut being noticed through his radar.

I look for logical explanations or solutions to most everything.

Completely.

I make decisions with my head and want to be fair

This. Yoda always take decisions with his head, never with his heart.

I believe telling the truth is more important than being tactful.

Him. Yoda always tell the truth and never give a shit about being tactful.

Sometimes I miss or don’t value the “people” part of a situation.

Once again, it's completely him.

I can be seen as too task-oriented, uncaring, or indifferent.

Him.

Feeling (F)
I believe I can make the best decisions by weighing what people care about and the points-of-view of persons involved in a situation. I am concerned with values and what is the best for the people involved. I like to do whatever will establish or maintain harmony.

LOL. Is that supposed to be Yoda? I laugh.

In my relationships, I appear caring, warm, and tactful.

He can be a bit like this, but only after the harsh and impersonal analysis have been done. Never before.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I have a people or communications orientation.

Not him.

I am concerned with harmony and nervous when it is missing.

Yoda has never been nervous. And where is the "harmony" thing? Nowhere.

I look for what is important to others and express concern for others.

Same than before. Yoda can express some concern forr others but only after his critical anylsiis have been done, and what is important for others have no place in his decision making process.

I make decisions with my heart and want to be compassionate.

Not him at all.

I believe being tactful is more important than telling the “cold” truth.

He is the contrary of that.

Sometimes I miss seeing or communicating the “hard truth” of situations.

He is the contrary of that.

I am sometimes experienced by others as too idealistic, mushy, or indirect.

HAHA! LOL!

So, the proof is there: Yoda is not a Feeler, but a Thinker. That's it.

The only few clues that Yoda could be F is nat he is not a scientist and that he is nice sometimes. So, that's I have said before: your argument is "Yoda have a job where he is in contact with persons and is nice sometimes so he is a F". Sorry but that doesn't work.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thinker tend to be level-headed in diffcult situation. Every descriptions say it, even if they don't necessarly use that word in particulary, the sense still the same.

Actually, they don't say this in the same words or even imply this using other words.

Sophism. An Fe-aux is as much F than a Fi dom. Just like a Te-aux like Obi-Wan is as much T than a Ti dom like Yoda.

Not sophism. If you would actually read something on the subject, you would find that the auxiliary function requires development.

That's just an objective obseravation about the power of the enemy. Analysis. Nothing especially INFJ related.

It's too brief and general to be an analysis. If it were analysis, Yoda would go into some detail about how best to defeat the Emperor. Instead, he typically keeps this discussion on a higher, intuitive plane of general observation.

No. Every Thinkers tend to be harsh. And the utilitarian temperaments are the Artisans and the Rationals.

You've obviously never lived with an Fe type.

Yoda is simplu telling to luke to see consider things as they truly are. So it's about objective truth (Ti) not personal vision (Ni). Yoda manipulate ideas, but it's not hiw own idea or planning for the future. It's just an objective vision of the world.

As they truly are, agreed. But not as we normally see them (Sensing) and not logically (Thinking). Yoda's vision of what the Force consists of differs from that of the other Jedi. Observe Yoda's cryptic explanation that the Force is a mysterious, mystical energy field which surrounds you, binds you to the universe, while the others give a rational, scientific explanation as midichlorians found in the bloodstream.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sophism. If you would actually read something on the subject, you would find that the auxiliary function requires development.

That doesn't mean that a F-aux tend less than a F-dom to act like a F when it's time to make decisions.

So you're wrong.

It's too brief and general to be an analysis. If it were analysis, Yoda would go into some detail about how best to defeat the Emperor. Instead, he typically keeps this discussion in a higher, intuitive plane of observation.

Bullshit. The anlysis have been done 23 years ago, and as an introvert who is at the point to lose his last breatn it's normal that he favors conciseness.

You've obviously never lived with an Fe type.

My own fater is an FJ, I dated an ENFJ for month, one of my best friend is ESFJ and they are just examples among tons of others. However, what i said is one of the most basic notions of MBTI, you just proved that you don't know your stuff.

As they truly are, agreed. But not as we normally see them (Sensing) and not logically (Thinking). Yoda's vision of what the Force consists of differs from that of the other Jedi.

No. Yoda is one of the most orthodox knight of the jedi order.

Observe Yoda's cryptic explanation that the Force is a mysterious, mystical energy field which surrounds you, binds you to the universe, while the others give a rational, scientific explanation as midichlorians found in the bloodstream.

It's just a development of what Ben said to Luke in the Episode IV. The Force is supposed to be a mystycal fluxof energy. So Yoda have to be a somewhat mystical when he explains it. However, he doesn't try to see the Force in a subjective way but objective way. And there's no clue that Yoda prefers F over T. Also, at the point where the Trilogy has been made, there was not supposed to be something like the midi-cholrians. That's something that George L done the prequel and wanted to explain what makes the Force.

However, Qui-Gon is a true Feeler him, whom decisons are usually based on feelings, subjectivity and compassion. If you believe that Yoda is a F and Qui-Gon is a T, that means that you don't understand MBTI.

If you believe that Yoda

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he's INTP. From what I recall at least, he doesn't seem to promote or express Fi or Fe exactly. Just instruction, right thinking, and opening your mind. At the end of the day, he's a critic, pretty much skeptical of everyone's else's ideas, and ultimately doesn't want anything to do with people. I mean, he lives on a planet apparently all by himself. Qui-Gon seemed to take a more Fe approach (and probably Ni too). About the only time Yoda uses Fe is when he acts perky, poking and prodding into Luke's space, and steals Luke's food. Trying to cheer him up and shit.

This. 100% true. I think we could have close the thread soon after you have posted this.

(Except that Qui-Gon is ISFJ, not INFJ)

wookieepedia said:
The Jedi Master appeared much younger than his age and had a penetrating gaze. He also had a subtle attention to detail, seen as he could sense mood changes in the people around him and was quite adept at hiding his emotions from other individuals, even other Jedi. His master was often perplexed by his ability to do this even when Qui-Gon was a Padawan.

Qui-Gon Jinn believed heavily in what he referred to as the "Living Force," a method of focusing on the moment rather than contemplating the Force in all its degrees.

Qui-Gon is Si-Fe-Ti-Ne, he is a sensor, an ISFJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just a development of what Ben said to Luke in the Episode IV. The Force is supposed to be a mystycal fluxof energy. So Yoda have to be a somewhat mystical when he explains it.

"Luminous beings are we."

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So what? For Yoda, we are objectively luminous being. So, he is a T, not a F, as I have ever proved in my comparative post of the differences between T and F. Your typing of Yoda as INFJ is hardly based on one single line and is nothing but a proff that he is truly INFJ. An INTP could say the same thing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what? For Yoda, we are objectively luminous being. So, he is a T, not a F, as I have ever proved in my comparative post of the differences between T and F.