• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Frank Zappa an INTJ?

Spiritual Science

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Does anyone else think Frank Zappa was an INTJ? I've been reading Zappa by Barry Miles and from what I can infer, he seems very INTJ. For instance, he would spend 18 hours a day in his studio dubbing live guitar solos onto studio tracks. He was rational, but his humor/satire often went over the heads of his listeners. He also viewed his live guitar solos as "air sculptures" or as compositions in themselves. Anyone else think he was an INTJ?

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard ISTP, and I'm inclined to agree.

KDude

I don't know about ISTP. Funnily, a couple of people have compared me to him, but I don't think I could pull off an 18 hr binge myself. Too antsy for that. I've stared at a guitar fretboard for hours... but that took a lot of shrooms. Enough to make me puke and foam at the mouth. Then again, I'm sure Zappa was constantly high on something.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know about ISTP. Funnily, a couple of people have compared me to him, but I don't think I could pull off an 18 hr binge myself. Too antsy for that. I've stared at a guitar fretboard for hours... but that took a lot of shrooms. Enough to make me puke and foam at the mouth. Then again, I'm sure Zappa was constantly high on something.
Fun fact: Apart from ciggarettes and alcohol, Zappa didn't like drugs at all. He had an unpleasant experience the first time he tried smoking marijuana. I think part of it was because he disliked the hippie culture (which he often mocked, like on the record We're Only In It For the Money).

KDude

Fun fact: Apart from ciggarettes and alcohol, Zappa didn't like drugs at all. He had an unpleasant experience the first time he tried smoking marijuana. I think part of it was because he disliked the hippie culture (which he often mocked, like on the record We're Only In It For the Money).

Interesting. I would have never guessed. So he was just naturally absurd?

I'm a little more inclined to Socionics, so I'd say he could be LSI (Ti-Se) in that system. It's a form of ISTP, but not the only one. I think Mike Patton is also LSI, and they're very similar.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. I would have never guessed. So he was just naturally absurd?

I'm a little more inclined to Socionics, so I'd say he could be LSI (Ti-Se) in that system. It's a form of ISTP, but not the only one. I think Mike Patton is also LSI, and they're very similar.
Yes :D I think "drugs" is the first thing that cross a lot of people's minds when they hear his music, but they never influenced his work. The great and bizarre music he made was just a genuine expression of his imagination and humour.

And I don't know the first thing about socionics, is it much different from MBTI?

KDude

And I don't know the first thing about socionics, is it much different from MBTI?

It's based on the same Jungian theories, but yeah, pretty much.. it's different. It's probably best looked at on it's own. There aren't straight correlations or anything.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's based on the same Jungian theories, but yeah, pretty much.. it's different. It's probably best looked at on it's own. There aren't straight correlations or anything.
Oh, ok. I think I did some test once and came out as INFp, which is Ni-Fe right? Though the definitions of the functions seemed different, but I never had a closer look.

KDude

Oh, ok. I think I did some test once and came out as INFp, which is Ni-Fe right? Though the definitions of the functions seemed different, but I never had a closer look.

Yeah, those are the functions for INFp there, but I've met many INFps who were INFPs. Or they say are. I thought some could still be INFJ in MBTI, but just perceiver oriented. One common quality among them too is their love for Se types. Some kind of channel Se intensity and want to create revolutions and shit. As far as famous people go, I think your avatar.. Iggy probably is one. Or rather, "James Osterberg" is an INFp. Iggy Pop is an ESTP. :cool: edit: Same with Jim Morrison. Only way to explain his polarizing behavior I think.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Iggy Pop is an ESTP. :cool: edit: Same with Jim Morrison. Only way to explain his polarizing behavior I think.

What is you're reasoning to say that Iggy Pop is an ESTP? It's interesting. I saw him typed as ISTP and ENTP. I know that he is a 7w8 Sx/So but I'm not sure about his MBTI type. Same for Jim Morrison, I know he was a 7w8 Sx/Sp, but I'ml confused for his MBTI type. Some say INFP, but he was not enough pussy for that. So I'd say ENFP. But I could see STP too, I considered that option too. By the way, are you saying that they are INFp on socionic and ESTP on MBTI?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does anyone else think Frank Zappa was an INTJ? I've been reading Zappa by Barry Miles and from what I can infer, he seems very INTJ. For instance, he would spend 18 hours a day in his studio dubbing live guitar solos onto studio tracks. He was rational, but his humor/satire often went over the heads of his listeners. He also viewed his live guitar solos as "air sculptures" or as compositions in themselves. Anyone else think he was an INTJ?

I'm inclined to agree with that, on the basis that he is surprisingly quite intellectual. I don't have much more to add on the topic right now.

KDude

What is you're reasoning to say that Iggy Pop is an ESTP? It's interesting. I saw him typed as ISTP and ENTP. I know that he is a 7w8 Sx/So but I'm not sure about his MBTI type. Same for Jim Morrison, I know he was a 7w8 Sx/Sp, but I'ml confused for his MBTI type. Some say INFP, but he was not enough pussy for that. So I'd say ENFP. But I could see STP too, I considered that option too. By the way, are you saying that they are INFp on socionic and ESTP on MBTI?

I'm saying Jim and Iggy could be IEI/INFp, but they just tapped into their Se side. In Socionics, it seems common with all types to do this. When you're "undualized" especially. Or other factors might change people, like bipolar disorder. Iggy especially is a sensitive guy.. not like his stage persona. Read the book "Please Kill Me". So many funny moments when he asks for too much trouble and runs away or begging people not to hurt him. And Jim seemed naturally introverted, poetic, dreamy, etc..

The opposite of Iggy might be Henry Rollins or maybe Glenn Danzig. Or Marlon Brando. Henry naturally embodies primitiveness and boldness, like ESTp.. but he can appear and be introspective like an INp too.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Iggy's ESTP too, definitely xSTP. He's like a physical manifestation of Se. His thinking and feeling seems very balanced, I don't think Fe is his inferior function.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Iggy's ESTP too, definitely xSTP. He's like a physical manifestation of Se. His thinking and feeling seems very balanced, I don't think Fe is his inferior function.

You know, I thought for a long time that I was an ISTP, and that was in part because it was said that Iggy P was an ISTP, and that I relate a lot on his energy. But if he's an ESTP, i can be too for sure. Iggy P is less extrovert than David Lee Roth, but stil extrovert, i think.

[youtube=96fBFE4zFNM]Iggy Pop[/youtube]

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm saying Jim and Iggy could be IEI/INFp, but they just tapped into their Se side. In Socionics, it seems common with all types to do this. When you're "undualized" especially. Or other factors might change people, like bipolar disorder. Iggy especially is a sensitive guy.. not like his stage persona. Read the book "Please Kill Me". So many funny moments when he asks for too much trouble and runs away or begging people not to hurt him. And Jim seemed naturally introverted, poetic, dreamy, etc..

The opposite of Iggy might be Henry Rollins or maybe Glenn Danzig. Or Marlon Brando. Henry naturally embodies primitiveness and boldness, like ESTp.. but he can appear and be introspective like an INp too.

So you are saying that Iggy P and Jim M are both INFP but that they behave like if they were ESTP? It's a bit confusing with Sexual 7w8s because they have the baddass behavior of STP with the sensitivity and imagination of INFP. Same for the 7w8 Sx/Sp Till Lindemann. He could be as much STP than INFP to me.

Sexual 6w7 like Henry Rollins and Axl Rose confuse me in the same way.

KDude

So you are saying that Iggy P and Jim M are both INFP but that they behave like if they were ESTP? It's a bit confusing with Sexual 7w8s because they have the baddass behavior of STP with the sensitivity and imagination of INFP. Same for the 7w8 Sx/Sp Till Lindemann. He could be as much STP than INFP to me.

Sexual 6w7 like Henry Rollins and Axl Rose confuse me in the same way.

Yeah, I agree. It is confusing. I'm not really sure of it. Just putting out my own theory. Socionics does seem to account for polarizing behavior like this though.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Still don't understand the confusion with socionics. Anyway, it helps to understand who he mingled with over the years.

Performed with Beefheart (infj 5), Wild Man Fisher (infj 4), people like Shuggie Otis, Terry Bozzio (istp 5), Patrick O'Hearn (infp 5). Three of these are socionics delta. Apart from the maybe already mentioned propensity for attacking the guitar and cracking jokes on record, note his use of preexisting effects on records leading upto Jazz from hell (at which point innovation took a turning point) and following. Pat Matheny, an infp 5, has similarly explored how to mimic animal sounds on the guitar, etc., but his overarching emphasis has been more in the mood spectrum. I think Zappa's relation to his body, his guarded affairs with band members, family and others, inherent dryness, confrontational personality and appreciation for the moment (plug any interview in here) makes him an so/sp e54 istp, or socionics SLI. Figure out the rest.

Iggy's your intj though. so/sx e34. Probably strange to witness intjs comfortable in their own skin, but hey, they exist.

nortia

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Still don't understand the confusion with socionics. Anyway, it helps to understand who he mingled with over the years.

Performed with Beefheart (infj 5), Wild Man Fisher (infj 4), people like Shuggie Otis, Terry Bozzio (istp 5), Patrick O'Hearn (infp 5). Three of these are socionics delta. Apart from the maybe already mentioned propensity for attacking the guitar and cracking jokes on record, note his use of preexisting effects on records leading upto Jazz from hell (at which point innovation took a turning point) and following. Pat Matheny, an infp 5, has similarly explored how to mimic animal sounds on the guitar, etc., but his overarching emphasis has been more in the mood spectrum. I think Zappa's relation to his body, his guarded affairs with band members, family and others, inherent dryness, confrontational personality and appreciation for the moment (plug any interview in here) makes him an so/sp e54 istp, or socionics SLI. Figure out the rest.

Iggy's your intj though. so/sx e34. Probably strange to witness intjs comfortable in their own skin, but hey, they exist.

but ISTPs are supposed to be super loyal and receptive to people, right? I think that contrasts a bit with Zappa's history as an autocratic band leader. while with the Mothers of Invention, he would stay in a completely different hotel than his band mates and would lord over everything and everyone in the studio until the timing was perfect, regardless about how the rest of the guys felt about a track. and he also tended to view things within a generalized idea of what was going on, indicative of an INTJ type. Here's an example:

“Definition of rock journalism: People who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read.” - Zappa

Pretty over-arching statement (I can recognize these now cause I do CBT with a trained therapist), but something normally heard coming from the mouth of an INTJ. I think that Zappa's eccentricities probably were a reflection of his enneagram type (I'm guessing 4w5 sx/so variant).

Anyways, these are just some thoughts coming from a fan. Zappa is the man, regardless of type.

Last edited:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Frank Zappa was ISTP 8w7 So/Sx
Jim Morrison was INFP 7w8 Sx/Sp
Iggy Pop was ESTP 7w8 Sx/So