User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Frank Zappa an INTJ?

Does anyone else think Frank Zappa was an INTJ? I've been reading Zappa by Barry Miles and from what I can infer, he seems very INTJ. For instance, he would spend 18 hours a day in his studio dubbing live guitar solos onto studio tracks. He was rational, but his humor/satire often went over the heads of his listeners. He also viewed his live guitar solos as "air sculptures" or as compositions in themselves. Anyone else think he was an INTJ?

I heard ISTP, and I'm inclined to agree.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

ISTP 8w7 So/Sx.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

I don't know about ISTP. Funnily, a couple of people have compared me to him, but I don't think I could pull off an 18 hr binge myself. Too antsy for that. I've stared at a guitar fretboard for hours... but that took a lot of shrooms. Enough to make me puke and foam at the mouth. Then again, I'm sure Zappa was constantly high on something.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't know about ISTP. Funnily, a couple of people have compared me to him, but I don't think I could pull off an 18 hr binge myself. Too antsy for that. I've stared at a guitar fretboard for hours... but that took a lot of shrooms. Enough to make me puke and foam at the mouth. Then again, I'm sure Zappa was constantly high on something.
    Fun fact: Apart from ciggarettes and alcohol, Zappa didn't like drugs at all. He had an unpleasant experience the first time he tried smoking marijuana. I think part of it was because he disliked the hippie culture (which he often mocked, like on the record We're Only In It For the Money).
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Fun fact: Apart from ciggarettes and alcohol, Zappa didn't like drugs at all. He had an unpleasant experience the first time he tried smoking marijuana. I think part of it was because he disliked the hippie culture (which he often mocked, like on the record We're Only In It For the Money).
    Interesting. I would have never guessed. So he was just naturally absurd?

I'm a little more inclined to Socionics, so I'd say he could be LSI (Ti-Se) in that system. It's a form of ISTP, but not the only one. I think Mike Patton is also LSI, and they're very similar.

Interesting. I would have never guessed. So he was just naturally absurd?

I'm a little more inclined to Socionics, so I'd say he could be LSI (Ti-Se) in that system. It's a form of ISTP, but not the only one. I think Mike Patton is also LSI, and they're very similar.
    Yes I think "drugs" is the first thing that cross a lot of people's minds when they hear his music, but they never influenced his work. The great and bizarre music he made was just a genuine expression of his imagination and humour.

And I don't know the first thing about socionics, is it much different from MBTI?

And I don't know the first thing about socionics, is it much different from MBTI?
    It's based on the same Jungian theories, but yeah, pretty much.. it's different. It's probably best looked at on it's own. There aren't straight correlations or anything.

It's based on the same Jungian theories, but yeah, pretty much.. it's different. It's probably best looked at on it's own. There aren't straight correlations or anything.
    Oh, ok. I think I did some test once and came out as INFp, which is Ni-Fe right? Though the definitions of the functions seemed different, but I never had a closer look.

Oh, ok. I think I did some test once and came out as INFp, which is Ni-Fe right? Though the definitions of the functions seemed different, but I never had a closer look.
    Yeah, those are the functions for INFp there, but I've met many INFps who were INFPs. Or they say are. I thought some could still be INFJ in MBTI, but just perceiver oriented. One common quality among them too is their love for Se types. Some kind of channel Se intensity and want to create revolutions and shit. As far as famous people go, I think your avatar.. Iggy probably is one. Or rather, "James Osterberg" is an INFp. Iggy Pop is an ESTP. edit: Same with Jim Morrison. Only way to explain his polarizing behavior I think.