User Tag List

123 Last

Default Neil deGrasse Tyson

Popular scientist. Shows up on a lot of documentaries.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiOwqDmacJo].[/youtube]

I think he's an example of an ESTJ in an intellectual field. Not NT. Just curious if he seems like something else to others.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiOwqDmacJo].[/youtube]

I think he's an example of an ESTJ in an intellectual field. Not NT. Just curious if he seems like something else to others.
    He seems more like a ENTP, trying to spread his enthusiasm to others(Ne) about his internal understanding of the theoretical laws that binds the universe(Ti), thoughts seem like a web of free association, playful demeanor, ect. why do you think he is Te dominant?
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Very nice video. And it's always nice to see an ENFJ who is so passionate about scientific matters. This guy isn't just answering a few questions, he is teaching you his answers via his passion for the subject.

https://www.personalitymax.com/perso...es/enfj-mentor

Edit @Robopop, compare/contrast Neil's style of presentation with that of ENTP Richard Feynman.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    He seems more like a ENTP, trying to spread his enthusiasm to others(Ne) about his internal understanding of the theoretical laws that binds the universe(Ti), thoughts seem like a web of free association, playful demeanor, ect. why do you think he is Te dominant?
    ENTP is my first guess as well, though I could see ENFP more than ENFJ. He just seems to have more Ne than Ni.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    ENTP is my first guess as well, though I could see ENFP more than ENFJ. He just seems to have more Ne than Ni.
    JCF does not determine the P versus the J. This is done (in the absence of testing) through observing for judging and perceptive traits. And while we truly don't know Neil on a personal level we can say something about his communication style.

His communication style is J direct, it has J purposefulness, and it has J focus and forthrightness.

Another important bit of evidence lacking is his life-motive. If his purpose in life is to make a difference in people's lives, then that is ENFJ. But if his purpose is to run a major institution like an administrator, then that is ESTJ. Astronomy, on the other hand, is often very attractive to visionary N types.

Cool replies. We can all agree on extrovert at least. I didn't think he was Ti because he often jests at theory or playing around with his own models or rationale (Not that he jests in a bad way.. I can't really find a vid now, but he's definitely more focused on the area of astrophysics that revolves more around objective data/objective processes and research. I don't know his whole career, but he seems like he'd rather talk about all of this and dispense this knowledge. Not talk about theories. Michio Kaku or Feynman were different). Yet, I still think he's heavy on the Ne (edit: I'm less sure about this actually).

Other than that, I don't have much of a reason to say ETJ. It just comes down to my own perceptions. He reminds me of some I know.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Cool replies. We can all agree on extrovert at least. I didn't think he was Ti because he often jests at theory or playing around with his own rationale (Not that he jests in a bad way.. I can't really find a vid now, but he's definitely more focused on the area of astrophysics that revolves more around objective data/objective processes and research. I don't know his whole career, but he seems like he'd rather talk about all of this and dispense this knowledge. Not talk about theories. Michio Kaku or Feynman were different). Yet, I still think he's heavy on the Ne.
    The assumption has always been to construct MBTI type from JCF. But what if you worked it backward? Reverse engineering.

We know that JCF leaves out the crucial distinction between J and P, leaving this decision as an assumption based on other factors such that, for example, NeTi automatically warrants a P. But what if it turns out that the personality in question is a J and not a P after all? Then your previous statements are thrown into question.

I think he's a J, and I really don't have enough information to change my mind about ENFJ. "I can't really find a vid now, but he's definitely more focused on the area of astrophysics that revolves more around objective data/objective processes and research." There are tons of vids out there on this guy, so obviously the one you're looking for doesn't exist because he is not like that. The ones I looked at didn't tell me enough about him so I have to go by visual clues. But as far as your statement there goes, you are completely wrong. Neil is completely focused on the value of science to society, even in the spiritual sense. And on the other hand, he is focused on the disvalue of anti-science. For example, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbLDKLQYrg8

and this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMED5boxySs
    "We are all connected: to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; and to the rest of the earth, atomically. That's kind of cool. That makes me smile." "We're in the universe, and the universe is in us."

and this:
    "2006 Neil deGrasse Tyson closes the three day lecture series with an excellent final "sermon" on cosmic perspective and the impact of science."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjW5-4IiSc
    "And then I sort of feel bad for the photon. And I said 'maybe it wanted to continue?' But I got in its way."
    Neil humanizes photons coming into his telescope. How Ti is that? Not very.

There you go. I don't mind doing your research for you at all, as it only brings more evidence to support my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    There are tons of vids out there on this guy, so obviously the one you're looking for doesn't exist because he is not like that. The ones I looked at didn't tell me enough about him so I have to go by visual clues. But as far as your statement there goes, you are completely wrong.
    Don't be an ass. It's one thing to disagree, but don't call me a liar. I was just watching the vid I was talking about the other day. It exists. It was in an episode of the Universe. Unfortunately, it contains hundreds of episodes and I can't find it. When he entered the field, he couldn't help but run into theories. He gladly welcomed the (relatively) recent influx of actual data. I'm not negating anything about him being spiritual or anything. I was just saying that he isn't a heavy theoretical physicist, like Feynman or other ntps like Kaku. I'm in agreement with you as far as being a teacher and doing a service to the "public" goes.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Don't be an ass. It's one thing to disagree, but don't call me a liar.
    You have just prompted me to ignore everything else you say. And while you don't have to watch the next video by any means, I offer it to those who are open-minded on typology and have not zeroed in on the very first thing they think up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=H_RWT3w_qPU
    "Neil is awesome, signing books while walking just so that he can make that extra person happy. We need more people like Dr. Tyson in this world." (Top commenter)

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    You have just prompted me to ignore everything else you say. And while you don't have to watch the next video by any means, I offer it to those who are open-minded on typology and have not zeroed in on the very first thing they think up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=H_RWT3w_qPU
    "Neil is awesome, signing books while walking just so that he can make that extra person happy. We need more people like Dr. Tyson in this world." (Top commenter)
    Go ahead and ignore me.

I'm here actually agreeing with much of what you say, and you're somehow propping me up to be your opponent. Do what you want, but as far I'm concerned, it seems pretty unnecessary.