First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    You ejaculated a comment: "Are you trying to prove that he is ridiculously ENxP? If so you are doing an excellent job." It is however a meaningless assertion lacking explanation.
    Well, I thought it was quite clear, but if I must spell it out....

focusing on the value of science to society (video 1),
    I only watched part of the video, but it seemed a bit like "catalyz[ing] people and extemporaneously shape situations" and "spread[ing] an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership." Guess which function description I found that from? Also, it almost seems like a kind of religious reformation, which has been classically associated with the extraverted intuitive type. And again I admit that that's a bit stereotypical....

the interconnectivity of life on earth with the rest of the universe (video 2)
    I doubt that this is specifically about concrete or social connectivity, but about an intuitive "everything is generally connected in all these invisible ways" thing.

and the fact that he "feels bad" for a photon that he traps with his telescope. (!) (video 3)
    Did he really feel bad for it? This totally just seems like he's playing with connections, and if anything, messing around with a feeling attitude towards things.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Are you speaking in code here? Doc is an ENTP and probably an e7. Neil has the enthusiasm of a Doc but not the hyperactivity.
    He is decently hyperactive...... look at how much he moves even as he is sitting down most the time.

The last wouldn't be my response. His speech can be more or less concrete, depending on the topic.
    I don't get where you two are getting that his speech is concrete at all. He is always getting off track and describing things in only their analogy to other things.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    I don't get where you two are getting that his speech is concrete at all. He is always getting off track and describing things in only their analogy to other things.
    I don't agree with that. He even considers his own field one of the simpler ones for the public to understand.

'The most accessible field in science, from the point of view of language, is astrophysics. What do you call spots on the sun? Sunspots. Regions of space you fall into and you don’t come out of? Black holes. Big red stars? Red giants. So I take my fellow scientists to task. He’ll use his word, and if I understand it, I’ll say, “Oh, does that mean da-da-da-de-da?”'

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't agree with that. He even considers his own field one of the simpler ones for the public to understand.

'The most accessible field in science, from the point of view of language, is astrophysics. What do you call spots on the sun? Sunspots. Regions of space you fall into and you don’t come out of? Black holes. Big red stars? Red giants. So I take my fellow scientists to task. He’ll use his word, and if I understand it, I’ll say, “Oh, does that mean da-da-da-de-da?”'
    This is simplified.... but it's not really concrete. Still looks like playing with connections to me.... the connection between the language of astrophysics and this idea of its accessibility.

This is simplified.... but it's not really concrete. Still looks like playing with connections to me.... the connection between the language of astrophysics and this idea of its accessibility.
    Now I'm not understanding what you mean by connections. It sounds like the simplest connections have an Ne qualifier for you. I think everyone makes basic connections and associations. It's almost impossible not to. When I hear some entp physicists or technologists speak though, it's on another level. One ENTP, Michio Kaku (who can be a great communicator himself), says if you got him in a room with his peers, most people wouldn't understand them. He considers himself a minority. And as far as I'm concerned, he's right.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Now I'm not understanding what you mean by connections. It sounds like the simplest connections have an Ne qualifier for you. I think everyone makes basic connections and associations. It's almost impossible not to. When I hear some entp physicists or technologists speak though, it's on another level. One ENTP, Michio Kaku (who can be a great communicator himself), says if you got him in a room with his peers, most people wouldn't understand them. He considers himself a minority. And as far as I'm concerned, he's right.
    Maybe I'll try to explain it clearer later on if I can, but it is difficult, if not impossible, to describe specifically why he seems Ne. It's just there. I'm not saying that other types can't make connections at all. It's something about his overall style in doing so....

I don't see much of a difference between the level that Tyson speaks on and the style of Kaku, or of Feynman. So Tyson could still have that sort of incomprehensibility thing going on too when he isn't in lecture mode. As you said, Michio Kaku is also a great communicator, very skilled at simplifying and popularizing these big concepts.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well, I thought it was quite clear, but if I must spell it out....
    I'm not a mind-reader. Well, not your mind, at least.

only watched part of the video, but it seemed a bit like "catalyz[ing] people and extemporaneously shape situations" and "spread[ing] an atmosphere of change through emergent leadership." Guess which function description I found that from?
    I don't know, but according to Google it emerged from http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/ex...intuiting.html, where it says, "Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true." I did not see Neil using this form of cognition in any of the many videos I watched so far.

Also, it almost seems like a kind of religious reformation, which has been classically associated with the extraverted intuitive type. And again I admit that that's a bit stereotypical....
    I don't know about any quasi-religious reformation, I simply hear him denouncing attempts by the religious far right to use faith to triumph over science. But, as an agnostic, he has nothing against religion per se as long as it co-exists with science as it has already done for years.

I doubt that this is specifically about concrete or social connectivity, but about an intuitive "everything is generally connected in all these invisible ways" thing.
    Yes, in that particular video. And in most of those interviews he loves to pontificate on the interconnectedness of all things. He is so exuberant about this topic that at one point I even saw his fingers quivering with some powerful emotion or passion.

Watching him, I also suspect that he is all hopped up on caffeine because he is so animated in his expressions.

Did he really feel bad for it? This totally just seems like he's playing with connections, and if anything, messing around with a feeling attitude towards things.
    Yep, he really felt bad for it. It didn't have anything to do with feeling connected to the universe. He just felt bad for interrupting it on its path considering how many billions of light-years it had to travel to reach that point.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Nah...didn't even know who was. :p

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Maybe I'll try to explain it clearer later on if I can, but it is difficult, if not impossible, to describe specifically why he seems Ne. It's just there. I'm not saying that other types can't make connections at all. It's something about his overall style in doing so....

I don't see much of a difference between the level that Tyson speaks on and the style of Kaku, or of Feynman. So Tyson could still have that sort of incomprehensibility thing going on too when he isn't in lecture mode. As you said, Michio Kaku is also a great communicator, very skilled at simplifying and popularizing these big concepts.
    That doesn't mean anything - e.g., Carl Sagan, a great populizer of astronomy and mentor to Neil Tyson.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

That doesn't mean anything - e.g., Carl Sagan, a great populizer of astronomy and mentor to Neil Tyson.
    KDude was sort of saying that Tyson and Kaku are on different 'levels', and I was saying don't think that's necessarily true...... not at all that because he's another popular scientist that he has to be ENTP (or maybe ENFP); indeed, Carl Sagan is not (his focus was really quite more grounded)