• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kimbra: Her type?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Word Association:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Zn3RYzj-otw

Interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7lxyfNIDmg

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have no idea of her type, but I am insanely excited that someone chose to type a New Zealander and felt the need to express that. :happy2: :banana:

She's also from Hamilton which is my neighbouring city! Yay! :smile:

...OK... :blush:

ESFP maybe?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Always thought Cameo Lover should be an ENFP anthem.

As for type, I'm not sure. I guess ESFP works.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my bf decided the other day that she was enfp from an interview. fits to me.

i can't find the video atm but here's one

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say ENFP simply because of the Si in her clothing(retro) and the electric quality(Ne) that she displays in her performances

Ethanescence

MBTI Type
INFP
My deduction is that she's ENFP.

Definitely E, F and P. This is clear in her career (singer), lyrical focus (love, gender roles, isolation, nostalgia), and dance moves (they're quite improvised).

I choose N over S based on the following information from Wikipedia:

"but at the age of 10 Kimbra began writing songs"

"(she was never taught to sing)"

Her lyrics seems to demonstrate a preference for Fi and Ne: ENFP qualities. Her lyrics also show the "quirkiness" of an ENFP. Also if you examine her other songs like "Settle Down" and "Gold Ring" there seems to be some level of deeper (aka theoretical) meaning. Also, the way she dresses is more akin to an NF than SF. It's more arty than vogue.

Concerning her interview:

Waited a while before releasing her first album.

An ENFP trait. ESFP tend to be more action-oriented and not contemplative/reflective.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'd say ENFP simply because of the Si in her clothing(retro) and the electric quality(Ne) that she displays in her performances

Self-expression through a visual medium? A love of performance?

Do you people hear yourselves?

Those are two hardline stereotypes of SFPs.

I choose N over S based on the following information from Wikipedia:

"but at the age of 10 Kimbra began writing songs"

"(she was never taught to sing)"

Again, since when has expression through sensory mediums and a love of performance art pointed to Ne over Se? :doh::doh::doh:

Her lyrics seems to demonstrate a preference for Fi and Ne: ENFP qualities. Her lyrics also show the "quirkiness" of an ENFP. Also if you examine her other songs like "Settle Down" and "Gold Ring" there seems to be some level of deeper (aka theoretical) meaning. Also, the way she dresses is more akin to an NF than SF. It's more arty than vogue.

Oh lord. So every hipster in the world is an N?

Concerning her interview:

Waited a while before releasing her first album.

An ENFP trait. ESFP tend to be more action-oriented and not contemplative/reflective.

What?

And people call my typing into question?

Ethanescence

MBTI Type
INFP
Again, since when has expression through sensory mediums and a love of performance art pointed to Ne over Se? :doh::doh::doh:

My two quotes say that she began writing at a young age. And that her singing developed organically from her writing. Dominant or auxiliary intuition has a strong connection with written expression. Sensing, not so much.

Comparing Se and Ne:

Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action.

The Se types have a “feel” for atmosphere, style, and image. They know what people are interesting in and like being recognized as paradigmatic of the trend. ESPs often speak of that peculiar thrill of knowing their game, knowing when luck or timing or the cards or and audience is “with them”. An ESP assesses what’s going on, plays on it, and takes pleasure in the escalating sense of mastery. You can always tell by the ESPs in the crowd exactly what pop culture currently regards as admirable, stylish, fascinating, outrageous, or exciting.

Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.

Ne involves entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true. By using this process one can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. [...] Words, ideas and possibilities spew effortlessly from Ne using types. They are keen improvisers, and they are rarely caught off guard; there is always something up their sleeve.

It might be just me, but Se seems to describing someone like Lady Gaga. Not Kimbra.

I say she uses Ne because she's not a natural "performer" in the sense she doesn't thrive on performance, like a Se might. It may be fulfilling or exciting, but essentially it is a way of expressing her Ne ideas and thoughts. I would say Kimbra is closer to a songwriter than a singer, although she has combined both successfully. If you watch her interview, you notice she focuses on getting used to the idea of performing in front of large crowds. Not really an attitude you'd see with a dominant Se.

Oh lord. So every hipster in the world is an N?

Hipster is a social trend, like anything else, so no. I was summarizing, not generalizing.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
My two quotes say that she began writing at a young age. And that her singing developed organically from her writing. Dominant or auxiliary intuition has a strong connection with written expression. Sensing, not so much.

Comparing Se and Ne:

Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action.

The Se types have a “feel” for atmosphere, style, and image. They know what people are interesting in and like being recognized as paradigmatic of the trend. ESPs often speak of that peculiar thrill of knowing their game, knowing when luck or timing or the cards or and audience is “with them”. An ESP assesses what’s going on, plays on it, and takes pleasure in the escalating sense of mastery. You can always tell by the ESPs in the crowd exactly what pop culture currently regards as admirable, stylish, fascinating, outrageous, or exciting.

Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using “what if” questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.

Ne involves entertaining a wealth of possible interpretations from just one idea. Using this process, we can juggle many different ideas, thoughts, beliefs, and meanings in our mind at once with the possibility that they are all true. By using this process one can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking. [...] Words, ideas and possibilities spew effortlessly from Ne using types. They are keen improvisers, and they are rarely caught off guard; there is always something up their sleeve.

It might be just me, but Se seems to describing someone like Lady Gaga. Not Kimbra.

I say she uses Ne because she's not a natural "performer" in the sense she doesn't thrive on performance, like a Se might. It may be fulfilling or exciting, but essentially it is a way of expressing her Ne ideas and thoughts. I would say Kimbra is closer to a songwriter than a singer, although she has combined both successfully. If you watch her interview, you notice she focuses on getting used to the idea of performing in front of large crowds. Not really an attitude you'd see with a dominant Se.

Okay...

I've seen the definitions before, believe it or not. None of this even attempts to interpret why the factors you mentioned point to Ne over Se. You've essentially just listed off some definitions, repeated what you said in the first place, and asserted that this means she's Ne over Se.

To the bolded, that's why I think she's ISFP over ESFP. It has nothing to do with Ne.

Hipster is a social trend, like anything else, so no. I was summarizing, not generalizing.

Yes, it's a social trend...and?

Also, what the hell does the bolded even mean?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i cannot fucking stand the term hipster...hate...pure fucking hate for the word. it's just some twisted bs term to describe someone who's different than you or likes things you find pretentious or something....what is it anyway...hip...as a slur? what?? sounds ridiculous...

Ethanescence

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay...

I've seen the definitions before, believe it or not. None of this even attempts to interpret why the factors you mentioned point to Ne over Se. You've essentially just listed off some definitions, repeated what you said in the first place, and asserted that this means she's Ne over Se.

I've listed reasons that support Ne over Se. Since you haven't addressed them, I'll repeat them for you.

1. Songwriter at a young age, uses written expression. Ne > Se.
2. Abstract and conceptual lyrics, rather than literal or sensory. Ne > Se.

"[ISFPs] may have difficulty when asked to explore the meaning of something or to imagine something they have no experienced. They would prefer to write about the reality."

This doesn't mesh with her lyrics.

Run from Angela Vickers
I saw her with you
Monday morning small talking on the avenue
She's got a fancy car
She wants to take you far
From the city lights and sounds deep into the dark

But all you do it take me down to depths that I never knew
You've got two arms baby
They're all tangled in ladies of the black skies posing blue

Abstract, conceptual, metaphoric. Her lyrics aren't clear or literal. And no, songwriting as a medium isn't inherently metaphoric. It depends on the writer. Poetry is largely metaphoric because most of the writers have dominant/auxiliary N.

I'm really going off from what I've observed. You said she's ISFP, but have you backed that up with any sort of information? Or reasoning? No. Just because she's a singer/performer and you think she's not fond of crowds doesn't means she's I and S. Individuals with EN can be mistaken as introverts, and not all performance artists are S.

Yes, it's a social trend...and?

Also, what the hell does the bolded even mean?

The bolded means I wasn't saying all hipsters are N, or anything of the sort, like you said. I was just simplifying the trend that N would focus their clothing style on their own emotions/thoughts, while S might instead focus their clothing style on fashion trend or to pique interest. And as a social trend, that means being a hipster wouldn't indicate whether someone was N or S.

i cannot fucking stand the term hipster...hate...pure fucking hate for the word. it's just some twisted bs term to describe someone who's different than you or likes things you find pretentious or something....what is it anyway...hip...as a slur? what?? sounds ridiculous...

Completely agree.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I can't argue with someone who thinks that using written expression as a child indicates a preference for Ne, or that there's lots of metaphors in poetry because poets are mostly Ns. It's too stupid.

You're truly the worst at typing I've seen around here since Aleksei.

It's only become a slur because, well, they suck the life out of everything that is cool or enjoyable. Otherwise, though, it's fairly easy to identify.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
just to add some love, not typing, but another song. i love this girl. i want to make sweet sweet love to her awkward dancing and pretty face.

[video='youtube;yHV04eSGzAA'].[/video]

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
funny how often isfps and enfps get confused....but!! she's totally an enfp

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
eeeepp. I like her ^_^

I don't know what type she'd be. But I feel like she has SUCH confidence in her performances... like whenever I see a youtube video of her performing "Settle Down" they're always so different. She is very comfortable changing things up and it's like she just goes with it.

It's like I'm on a peaceful adventure with her ...and I trust her as the leader so much because I know I'll enjoy myself no matter where she whimsically decides to take me.

She seems calm, nonchalant, and doesn't seem to take her music super freakishly personal (but I could be wrong).

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know, but I love her! Her voice is amazing.