• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ted Bundy

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
For starters, their psychological disorders. Gein is the one of the only serial killers (actually, he's technically not a serial killer as he only murdered two people) I know of whom I truly believe was genuinely psychologically and mentally incapable to a degree that "reason of insanity" plea was 100% justified. By every single account, after his admission to the psychiatric ward where he stayed he was the kindest, least temperamental person you'd ever meet. I've heard that, before he was caught, people would mention his first victim (whom was missing) and he'd earnestly say "Oh, she's at my place" and people would assume he was kidding. I really think he had no perceptions or clear ideas of what he was doing.

And while he might be a candidate for "too many issues to type," my guess would be maybe... ISFP?

Well Ed Gein was very much an introvert, and apparently trustworthy around children, but not at all charismatic. Odd and sad sort of person.

ISFx would actually be a good guess. I don't know as much about Gein as I do about Bundy, but I do know he would watch neighborhood children, everyone thought he was nice, but as a child he was horribly picked on. Kind of a gentle but dangerous person. Like Norman Bates, who is a composite of him, where as a character like Patrick Bateman would be more like Ted Bundy.

An ISFP possibly. He was quite the ...er...artist.

KDude

A kind of smaller-scale, white trash Hitler.

lol so true..

On another note, I'm not kidding about functions. I want to be Si/Te when I think about this stuff. I've always been highly resistant to that type of emotiveness. I can program myself, thank you very much. Maybe I'm a weird ISTJ.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well Ed Gein was very much an introvert, and apparently trustworthy around children, but not at all charismatic. Odd and sad sort of person.

ISFx would actually be a good guess. I don't know as much about Gein as I do about Bundy, but I do know he would watch neighborhood children, everyone thought he was nice, but as a child he was horribly picked on. Kind of a gentle but dangerous person. Like Norman Bates, who is a composite of him, where as a character like Patrick Bateman would be more like Ted Bundy.
His mother (a single parent) was an extremely horrendous woman. She was heavily abusive, and even punished him whenever he tried to make friends, and thought he would grow up to be nothing. But because she was essentially the only person he had contact with, he was obsessed with her and cared extremely deeply for her. It was after he died and he was totally alone, unable to function at all in society, that he started doing what he did. Basically, he would dig up bodies of people that resembled her (his victims were also chosen on this basis) to kind of recreate her. He wore skin of the corpses he'd dig up to pretend to be her because he missed her so terribly. He was heavily schizophrenic and riddled with emotional disorders. I've always felt very sorry for Ed Gein. I really don't think he was an evil man.

KDude

Everyone's got bad shit. I couldn't feel sorry for him.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I couldn't if, even with a terrible upbringing, I felt like he had a realistic idea of exactly what he was doing.

KDude

I couldn't if, even with a terrible upbringing, I felt like he had a realistic idea of exactly what he was doing.

I admit, I don't know much about him and the "obliviousness" you mentioned. Almost sounds like an abused animal, the way you describe it. In that sense, I couldn't be disturbed exactly.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But we were talking about Bundy! I've always felt he was an E, I guess, but I've only seen limited footage of him (also partially based on an English teacher of mine, whose cousin used to carpool with Bundy to school, briefly mentioning a few banal stories). But I also a agree with a lot of the info you guys have put forth. ENFx, I guess?

Fun fact: Bundy was very involved into politics as a Republican. I read once he even briefly stalked an Democratic candidate he opposed. To keep things even: John Wayne Gacy was a staunch Democrat.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I admit, I don't know much about him and the "obliviousness" you mentioned. Almost sounds like an abused animal, the way you describe it. In that sense, I couldn't be disturbed exactly.

That's just the way I read it, of course, but personal accounts of him and psychological profiles remind me of a confused child or Lenny of From Mice and Men (though the plight was slightly less on intellectual ability and more on complete lack of emotional development and intense psychological delusion).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I pity Gein because I believe his IQ was rather low, like probably just above retardation. He was severely abused, and he only killed two people. Mostly he dug up graves looking for parts for his grotesque art projects. I really don't think he even knew exactly what he was doing.

Bundy, on the other hand, was quite intelligent and articulate, and actually plotted out revenge, for example, on his girlfriend. He won her back just so he could get her to fall in love with him so he could dump her, and then go on a killing spree, where he lured beautiful young women to their deaths with effervescent charm and even bizarre scenarios, like pretending to have a broken leg and asking for help.

Bundy I do not feel sorry for, despite the bad parts of his childhood. Gein, I do.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah Bundy was a rapist. It was sexual for him.

Bundy had Fe/Se, just like [MENTION=9214]KDude[/MENTION] says.

He was either ENFJ or ESTP, IMO.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wait...where did [MENTION=9325]ZPowers[/MENTION] "rape" comment go? Did the forum eat it? I saw it in the Live New Posts.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Clarifying Marm's above post: I wrote "It's worth noting Gein never tortured or raped anyone. Bundy, well..." but took it down because I thought we might be getting a bit too off-topic.

You just replied too quickly, dammit!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Clarifying Marm's above post: I wrote "It's worth noting Gein never tortured or raped anyone. Bundy, well..." but took it down because I thought we might be getting a bit too off-topic.

You just replied too quickly, dammit!

Yeah I move quickly.

I don't think it's off-topic that Bundy was a rapist. I think it's a very salient point to mention, though I implied it with how physical and visceral killing was for him, as opposed to obvious NFJ Manson who kept his hands relatively clean, had kooky far-reaching visions, and manipulated a cult of people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think other proof of Bundy's Se/Ti were his mad escape skills. We could actually almost stereotype him as an STP on his sheer ability to escape prison TWICE. The first time he was able to survive for six days, and the second time he planned it so well he hacked his way through a light fixture and fled the state.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
It's hard for me to type Ted Bundy because I don't know much about him (on top of other reasons), but I'd say he was probably a TP of some sort because I smell some seriously rotten Fe. Types with both weak Fi and Fe can become unpleasant, but tend to do so in different ways. Ultimately, bad Fi is introverted and will seek to escape/avoid bad social situations. A weak Fi serial kill people because dealing with them becomes too painful and they want that to stop. It's almost sociopathic and lathargic. "I'll kill them because it's easier than actually sorting the problen out." Or maybe "If I kill these people, maybe I'll be able to stop thinking about them." Other times there reason for killing has nothing to do with the victim at all. They just needed some fresh human skin, that's all.

Brundy on the other hand had a score to settle. His response to rejection was to track the person down, humiliate, torture and then kill them. And after that anyone who had a passing resemblance to them. His emotions drove him to seek out confrontation, not avoid it. That was what he was doing - getting his revenge, over and over again, even after it had ceased to make even the most fucked up sort of sense. His response was extroverted.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's hard for me to type Ted Bundy because I don't know much about him (on top of other reasons), but I'd say he was probably a TP of some sort because I smell some seriously rotten Fe. Types with both weak Fi and Fe can become unpleasant, but tend to do so in different ways. Ultimately, bad Fi is introverted and will seek to escape/avoid bad social situations. A weak Fi serial kill people because dealing with them becomes too painful and they want that to stop. It's almost sociopathic and lathargic. "I'll kill them because it's easier than actually sorting the problen out." Or maybe "If I kill these people, maybe I'll be able to stop thinking about them." Other times there reason for killing has nothing to do with the victim at all. They just needed some fresh human skin, that's all.

Brundy on the other hand had a score to settle. His response to rejection was to track the person down, humiliate, torture and then kill them. And after that anyone who had a passing resemblance to them. His emotions drove him to seek out confrontation, not avoid it. That was what he was doing - getting his revenge, over and over again, even after it had ceased to make even the most fucked up sort of sense. His response was extroverted.

I would need to know more about Bundy himself, and avoid theorizing about function orders until I know more. Your post starts with a theory and then looks for those facts which serve to justify your theory. That is confirmation bias. Reality should come before theory.

mooseantlers

Knobgoblin
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Yeah Bundy was a rapist. It was sexual for him.

Bundy had Fe/Se, just like [MENTION=9214]KDude[/MENTION] says.

He was either ENFJ or ESTP, IMO.

ENFJ in my opinion. Just from interviews I've seen with him and stuff, my dad's an ENFJ.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

This isn't true. His victims were picked entirely at random. He made a point of never, ever attempting to abduct or kill anyone he had even possibly met before, and in interviews claimed he made a point of staying away from female acquaintances or girlfriends when his "rage was building."

You might argue he had resentment towards women in general (I'm not sure how true that is either: he was considered handsome and charming by most women who had known him), but he certainly had no personal animosity towards his victims.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He always picked the same look though; brunette long hair, demurre, etc. Did I hear that they resembled his mother? Or did I just intuit that?