User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Ted Bundy

MBTI
    INTJ

ISFJ

Repetitive and pre-planned with his methods, past and status oriented (cared a lot about his ancestry and achieving in school and society, before giving up), earned to have a normal relationship, plus other unhealthy-ISFJ tendencies such as super possessive tendencies and being materialistically oriented.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

The problem with sociopaths is that they can lie without a conscience. Living without a conscience is like living with no visible boundaries. It makes them excellent manipulators and even better self-manipulators. They can convince themselves they've done no wrong after slipping into a murdering spree. When you attain "serial" status, I think it's what separates an expert deceiver to just a lucky one. Ted still had quite a bit of contact between people, had great people skills and wore many masks.

This is what makes sociopaths extremely hard to type, but my best guess for Ted is ENTP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain Hearts View Post
    They can convince themselves they've done no wrong after slipping into a murdering spree.
    I'd say this is even too kind an assessment. They know full well they've done wrong, but there's no need to convince themselves otherwise. It's not a source of angst or pain. Hell, they might be more honest with themselves in terms of their wrong-doing than anyone, they just don't care.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Riva

Is Ted Bundy a psychopath or a sociopath? I guess he was a sociopath.

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'd say this is even too kind an assessment. They know full well they've done wrong, but there's no need to convince themselves otherwise. It's not a source of angst or pain. Hell, they might be more honest with themselves in terms of their wrong-doing than anyone, they just don't care.
    The scary psychopaths are actually the ones who never go on killing sprees. They are the ones who are living among us. Infact I dislike using the word scary for them. I prefer to use the word disgusting. Because that's what they are. Hopefully no one would make a comment defending psychopaths saying us to not stereotype them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Is Ted Bundy a psychopath or a sociopath? I guess he was a sociopath.
    I think a lot of people answer that differently. They used to use the term psychopath exclusively, but altered it to and/or sociopath like they do with certain medical/psychological terms every so often. I think in criminal investigation the terms may mean distinctive things, relating to level of planning and intelligence among consistently violent criminals. I've also heard psychopaths are more genetically altered, sociopaths are more environmentally motivated. It's kind of a fuzzy set of terms, usually interchangeable. Both basically mean someone who lacks the capacity for empathy (which, as you noted, could be Ted Bundy, the vulturous CEO of some morally bankrupt company, or your emotionally manipulative neighbor).

I doubt anyone will try to defend them. They're unique in that way. Pretty much any non-sociopath in the world agrees they lack... I dunno, the most important part of a human? The humanity? I'm not sure how to describe it just now. The only possible defense I can see is that they didn't choose to be sociopathic, but they also have no issue with the fact that they lack that part.

I took a class on various psychological disorders back in the day and sociopaths stand alone as the only group that is regarded as completely impossible to treat or cure, in part because they have absolutely no desire to be 'cured.'

MBTI
    INTJ

I took a class on various psychological disorders back in the day and sociopaths stand alone as the only group that is regarded as completely impossible to treat or cure, in part because they have absolutely no desire to be 'cured.'
    How are you going to treat them anyway? It's not like there is a pill that will make you experience empathy or generate growth in the part of the brain that produces the sensation of "guilt".
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, people with Borderline Personality Disorder have no desire to be cured. Psychopaths are the reason why we have the death penalty.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No, people with Borderline Personality Disorder have no desire to be cured. Psychopaths are the reason why we have the death penalty.
    That may be true, but my recollection is that there are methods of treatment of borderline disorder (therapy and pills). I thought it could be mitigated in a way sociopathy couldn't. But I may be wrong.

And though I'm not a fan of the death penalty, I agree that people like Bundy are the biggest temptation I have for it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That may be true, but my recollection is that there are methods of treatment of borderline disorder (therapy and pills). I thought it could be mitigated in a way sociopathy couldn't. But I may be wrong.

And though I'm not a fan of the death penalty, I agree that people like Bundy are the biggest temptation I have for it.
    Oh yes, BPD can be treated. It's just hard to catch those slippery little suckers. They'll eternally make excuses for why they can't see a therapist as they're busy punching you, or attempting suicide.

But yes, the people with BPD who actually do acquiesce to treatment can be treated. It's just very difficult to get them there. They looooove blaming other people.

I was just saying that I believe that the death penalty exists for people like Ted Bundy. It's just practical, pragmatic. Why keep someone alive who is just going to be a complicated danger to others, who can never be treated?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I agree that Fe is used differently by different types. But what I'm not seeing is a good idea of what it means to have inferior Fe. This has to manifest itself in a particular way, not by TP but specifically by the Ti-dom as that is the only function with inferior Fe. A better example would be Ti-dom Ted Kaczinski. But it doesn't explain why Fe-inferior manifested itself on an attack on social structures.
    Hang on, why inferior Fe? I never said that. I just said low order, which could mean either tertiary or inferior (or opposing/critical for that matter, but I don't think so in this case).

In any event, when inferior Fe is being rejected it is often seen as a stubbon refusal to even consider the idea that doing something to fit in might be ok, often extending to cover rejecting the idea of doing something that just happens to be popular. Like refusing to listen to a particular band because lots of people like them, even if they happen to good. Such peope often end up using society to define everything that their not going to be... and thus end up being shaped by it almost as much as a conformist! They can be rather in-your-face about it too - "Look at me! I'm different, so fuck you!"

In other cases inferior Fe users can be the conformists when the function goes in hyperdrive, leaving them unable to cope with social rejection at all. They go out of their way to fit in to the point of betraying what they really believe in.

It doesn't have to be like that, of course. A more balanced inferior Fe can give a rather solitart ITP just enough social drive to assure they don't become isolated without sending them into neurotic circles.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.