User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Thread: Ted Bundy

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    He always picked the same look though; brunette long hair, demurre, etc. Did I hear that they resembled his mother? Or did I just intuit that?
    Well, If I remember, for much of his life he was led to believe the person who was his mother was actually his grandmother and the person he thought was his sister was really his mother (this exact same thing, by the way, happened to Jack Nicholson).

Whether his victims were picked because they looked like someone in particular or because they were just "his type," I don't know. I tend to believe the latter. He certainly didn't kill whomever that original person was.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Well, we should see what his mother looked like in her 30's and 40's...
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I would need to know more about Bundy himself, and avoid theorizing about function orders until I know more. Your post starts with a theory and then looks for those facts which serve to justify your theory. That is confirmation bias. Reality should come before theory.
    I wrote it that way, but I didn't think it that order. Too used to writing reports I guess - you always start with the executive summary, then explain it afterwards.

Actually, you are right that reality comes before theory, but theory tends to come before understanding reality. Thats how science works - observe an event, theorise about its cause, then test the theory to see if it holds. That's something that is easier in the hard sciences than in psychology, but the basic idea holds. Confirmational bias is a real danger there, but that's the problem of using the human mind to examine itself. It's a bit like using a mirror to see an inlarge image of the magnifying glass you are looking through.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    This isn't true. His victims were picked entirely at random. He made a point of never, ever attempting to abduct or kill anyone he had even possibly met before, and in interviews claimed he made a point of staying away from female acquaintances or girlfriends when his "rage was building."

You might argue he had resentment towards women in general (I'm not sure how true that is either: he was considered handsome and charming by most women who had known him), but he certainly had no personal animosity towards his victims.
    The phrase "anyone who resembled her" doesn't imply that he had a deep relationship with them. My point was, he was trying to extend the hostile encounter even after the original cause of his rage was gone. It was a turning towards, rather than a turning away. If the actual perpetrator was missing, someone else would do instead, but some poor fucker was going to get it because he was missed off.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    He always picked the same look though; brunette long hair, demurre, etc. Did I hear that they resembled his mother? Or did I just intuit that?
    I think it was the girlfriend who rejected him, but like I said before, I don't know the details of his story that well, so I might be wrong on the details. Eitherway, he definitely had a pattern based around someone.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I wrote it that way, but I didn't think it that order. Too used to writing reports I guess - you always start with the executive summary, then explain it afterwards.

Actually, you are right that reality comes before theory, but theory tends to come before understanding reality. Thats how science works - observe an event, theorise about its cause, then test the theory to see if it holds. That's something that is easier in the hard sciences than in psychology, but the basic idea holds. Confirmational bias is a real danger there, but that's the problem of using the human mind to examine itself. It's a bit like using a mirror to see an inlarge image of the magnifying glass you are looking through.
    I'm a low Fe type but I'm not a Ted Bundy, obviously. Maybe he was a serial killer with high Fe. I can't associate Fe with serial killing without something more.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    This isn't true. His victims were picked entirely at random. He made a point of never, ever attempting to abduct or kill anyone he had even possibly met before, and in interviews claimed he made a point of staying away from female acquaintances or girlfriends when his "rage was building."

You might argue he had resentment towards women in general (I'm not sure how true that is either: he was considered handsome and charming by most women who had known him), but he certainly had no personal animosity towards his victims.
    I'm a low Fe type but I'm not a Ted Bundy, obviously. Maybe he was a serial killer with high Fe. I can't associate Fe with serial killing without something more.

I
    Relax, no-one with a brain is saying all low Fe types are serial killers, any more than I was saying that all low Fi types are sociopathic fuck-heads.

The first thing to understand about functions is to know how broad they are. Think about it - there are 7 billion people on this planet, all a little different, but only 16 types to put them into. The only way that can work is if they are wide enough to park a fleet of battleshipsin. Nose to nose, at that.

When talking about serial killers you are liable to end up considering the very worst aspects of any type or function. If Ted Bundy was a TP that doesn't reflect on you any more than the idea that Hitler was an INJ casts me into suspicion.

I often see people asking questions of the form "What type is most likely to do xyz". I'd say the question itself is wrong, because function theory can't answer it. All it does is provide a frame work for understanding the way people think. A much better question is "Why would a given type do this".

Fe is the need to respond to what is seen as socially a nessesary or opportunity. When it manifests in a good way you see people who go out of their way to help other or just smooth things over. A healthy but low order Fe can often be seen in teachers whos interests are led by Ti, but love to share the joy in what they do with others, helping them to reach their potential. In less lovable cases, it makes people overly concerned about how people percieve them, or a need to be the alpha. Such peoples egos can be badly effected by social rejection.

If you sit down and think about it for awhile you'll be able think of many other ways Fe in a given type can work. Explore those battleships as muchas you want, there's a lot to see. Certainly I don't claim to know every possible aspect of each type - there's just too many. I rather like it when someone shows me one I've missed.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Relax, no-one with a brain is saying all low Fe types are serial killers, any more than I was saying that all low Fi types are sociopathic fuck-heads.

The first thing to understand about functions is to know how broad they are. Think about it - there are 7 billion people on this planet, all a little different, but only 16 types to put them into. The only way that can work is if they are wide enough to park a fleet of battleshipsin. Nose to nose, at that.

When talking about serial killers you are liable to end up considering the very worst aspects of any type or function. If Ted Bundy was a TP that doesn't reflect on you any more than the idea that Hitler was an INJ casts me into suspicion.

I often see people asking questions of the form "What type is most likely to do xyz". I'd say the question itself is wrong, because function theory can't answer it. All it does is provide a frame work for understanding the way people think. A much better question is "Why would a given type do this".

Fe is the need to respond to what is seen as socially a nessesary or opportunity. When it manifests in a good way you see people who go out of their way to help other or just smooth things over. A healthy but low order Fe can often be seen in teachers whos interests are led by Ti, but love to share the joy in what they do with others, helping them to reach their potential. In less lovable cases, it makes people overly concerned about how people percieve them, or a need to be the alpha. Such peoples egos can be badly effected by social rejection.

If you sit down and think about it for awhile you'll be able think of many other ways Fe in a given type can work. Explore those battleships as muchas you want, there's a lot to see. Certainly I don't claim to know every possible aspect of each type - there's just too many. I rather like it when someone shows me one I've missed.
    I agree that Fe is used differently by different types. But what I'm not seeing is a good idea of what it means to have inferior Fe. This has to manifest itself in a particular way, not by TP but specifically by the Ti-dom as that is the only function with inferior Fe. A better example would be Ti-dom Ted Kaczinski. But it doesn't explain why Fe-inferior manifested itself on an attack on social structures.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I agree that Fe is used differently by different types. But what I'm not seeing is a good idea of what it means to have inferior Fe. This has to manifest itself in a particular way, not by TP but specifically by the Ti-dom as that is the only function with inferior Fe. A better example would be Ti-dom Ted Kaczinski. But it doesn't explain why Fe-inferior manifested itself on an attack on social structures.
    Inferior Fe actually would be inclined to attack social structures, and all they represent to the rejected inferior.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Inferior Fe actually would be inclined to attack social structures, and all they represent to the rejected inferior.
    I question them, but I don't blow them up.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I question them, but I don't blow them up.
    Again though, not everyone with the same function or set of function behaves the exact same way. Einstein is usually considered an INTP, as am I, and though I find certain concepts and aspects of theoretical psychics interesting, I don't research and heavily study them.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?