User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 213

Thread: Ted Bundy

  1. #111
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Um that would be the understatement of the year in context of Ted Bundy. I cannot fathom you thinking that he did the things that he did (are you aware of the scope of his rape and murder and brutality, he didn't just snatch someone's panties or shoot some people in the dark, he was a fucking animal who collected body parts as trophies, laid traps for women, brutalized them with bedroom furniture, a real madman) because his college gf dumped him.

    It shows a lack of reading about Ted Bundy, and actually a complete lack of psychological understanding of people.
    OF COURSE he didn't do the things he did because his girlfriend dumped him. I think he is a psychopath, as I said, and an addict to pornography. No, it was more the fact that he focused on young pretty girls that looked like her that I think may have been in part because of that event.

    Sorry for not being more specific, my point was only that crimes in general have been committed because a rejection, in response to AphroditeGoneAwry. The "I'm not sure this is the case here" is really an understatement!

  2. #112
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttou View Post
    That's possible. I read the part of your report that you quoted, and it says about the same thing as Wikipedia. But as I said, Ted still left his grandfather's house at three, so I'm not sure this would have affected his personality a lot. Is there any evidence that Ted's new home (with his stepfather) was dysfunctional? From the wiki, it sounds like his stepfather tried to make him part of the family.
    And I think the reasons he did all these weird things as a child is because he is a psychopath. Here is a very interesting article on psychopath children. It fits what we know of Ted, so I think we don't need an unhealthy childhood environment to explain his behaviour.

    Anyway, you seem to agree with me that we can type him, since you did so yourself Why ENFJ rather than INFJ? Have you read my first post in this thread? I really think Ni-Fe-Ti-Se fits him really well.
    Yes, the personality ego and all of that is formed by age six. By age four - when he actually moved away - he had already experienced plenty, apparently. It takes a perfect storm of genetic disposition and circumstance to create someone like Ted Bundy. Psychopathy is a combination of both genes and environment.

    I agree with you he's an FJ. I don't know, I'll look at it later, I'm too tired right now, but I'm sure I'll be interested at some point in the near future.

  3. #113
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Yes, the personality ego and all of that is formed by age six. By age four - when he actually moved away - he had already experienced plenty, apparently. It takes a perfect storm of genetic disposition and circumstance to create someone like Ted Bundy. Psychopathy is a combination of both genes and environment.
    You may be right here. It seemed to me psychopath could arise even from healthy environment, but I'm willing to concede the point.
    (PS: Wikipedia says it was age three: "For the first three years of his life Bundy lived in the Philadelphia home of his maternal grandparents". Lets go for three and a half! )

    I agree with you he's an FJ. I don't know, I'll look at it later, I'm too tired right now, but I'm sure I'll be interested at some point in the near future.
    Whenever you feel like it!

  4. #114
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttou View Post
    You may be right here. It seemed to me psychopath could arise even from healthy environment, but I'm willing to concede the point.
    But didn't you cite this page earlier in the thread?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ma...sychopath.html

    Michael is a diagnosed psychopath child who was raised in a normal environment by a mother with a degree in child psychology.

    You give in too easily, Nuttou.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #115
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    But didn't you cite this page earlier in the thread?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ma...sychopath.html

    Michael is a diagnosed psychopath child who was raised in a normal environment by a mother with a degree in child psychology.

    You give in too easily, Nuttou.
    Haha! True! I actually was thinking of him when I said that. The thing is, I don't think there is proof that Ted was abused, and his mother and stepfather's home sounds perfectly normal, but if people say the fact he was exposed to a violent individual up until age three can be psychologically damaging, I don't really have the means to argue with them. Three years old seems too young to me to have a lasting effect, but what can I say? So yeah.

  6. #116
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttou View Post
    Haha! True! I actually was thinking of him when I said that. The thing is, I don't think there is proof that Ted was abused, and his mother and stepfather's home sounds perfectly normal, but if people say the fact he was exposed to a violent individual up until age three can be psychologically damaging, I don't really have the means to argue with them. Three years old seems too young to me to have a lasting effect, but what can I say? So yeah.
    The argument didn't only have to do with Bundy, but with extrapolating his case to that of all psychopaths. It's a non sequitur to say that, because Ted Bundy was raised around a violent individual that, therefore, all psychopaths have to be raised in abnormal environments. One case history does not indicate a pattern for all such cases.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  7. #117
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The argument didn't only have to do with Bundy, but with extrapolating his case to that of all psychopaths. It's a non sequitur to say that, because Ted Bundy was raised around a violent individual that, therefore, all psychopaths have to be raised in abnormal environments. One case history does not indicate a pattern for all such cases.
    Was that what Marmotini was saying? Anyway, I agree with you. Michael can be considered proof (though he didn't kill anyone yet).

  8. #118
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttou View Post
    Was that what Marmotini was saying? Anyway, I agree with you. Michael can be considered proof (though he didn't kill anyone yet).
    I read the entire article you posted. Michael's father was a wild child too, but by the time adulthood came along he had worked on changing himself "from the outside in." Psychopathic children have an almost 50/50 chance of growing up to become psychopaths. Michael reminds me of Stewie Griffin, who grew up to be a normal, benign adult working at a video store. Yes I know it's only a cartoon.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #119
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I read the entire article you posted. Michael's father was a wild child too, but by the time adulthood came along he had worked on changing himself "from the outside in." Psychopathic children have an almost 50/50 chance of growing up to become psychopaths. Michael reminds me of Stewie Griffin, who grew up to be a normal, benign adult working at a video store. Yes I know it's only a cartoon.
    When Michael's father said he was a "wild child", I took it as meaning just that, that he was wild, but not necessarily psychopathic. I though he was just trying to cling to hope.
    The tricky thing about psychopaths is that they can blend in society so that they seem normal. I'm not sure if these children really grow to be more empathetic, or if they just learn how to conduct themselves in society and become high functioning psychopath (not all of them are murderer after all).

    The character the article makes me think of is Joffrey Baratheon, from the book A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. This passage above all:
    "In some children, C.U. traits manifest in obvious ways. Paul Frick, a psychologist at the University of New Orleans who has studied risk factors for psychopathy in children for two decades, described one boy who used a knife to cut off the tail of the family cat bit by bit, over a period of weeks. The boy was proud of the serial amputations, which his parents initially failed to notice. “When we talked about it, he was very straightforward,” Frick recalls. “He said: ‘I want to be a scientist, and I was experimenting. I wanted to see how the cat would react.’ ”
    In another famous case, a 9-year-old boy named Jeffrey Bailey pushed a toddler into the deep end of a motel swimming pool in Florida. As the boy struggled and sank to the bottom, Bailey pulled up a chair to watch. Questioned by the police afterward, Bailey explained that he was curious to see someone drown. When he was taken into custody, he seemed untroubled by the prospect of jail but was pleased to be the center of attention."

    My father also knew a boy (probably a psychopath) who liked to kill cats in horrible ways, but he doesn't know what he has become.

  10. #120
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttou View Post
    When Michael's father said he was a "wild child", I took it as meaning just that, that he was wild, but not necessarily psychopathic. I though he was just trying to cling to hope.
    The tricky thing about psychopaths is that they can blend in society so that they seem normal. I'm not sure if these children really grow to be more empathetic, or if they just learn how to conduct themselves in society and become high functioning psychopath (not all of them are murderer after all).

    The character the article makes me think of is Joffrey Baratheon, from the book A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. This passage above all:
    "In some children, C.U. traits manifest in obvious ways. Paul Frick, a psychologist at the University of New Orleans who has studied risk factors for psychopathy in children for two decades, described one boy who used a knife to cut off the tail of the family cat bit by bit, over a period of weeks. The boy was proud of the serial amputations, which his parents initially failed to notice. “When we talked about it, he was very straightforward,” Frick recalls. “He said: ‘I want to be a scientist, and I was experimenting. I wanted to see how the cat would react.’ ”
    In another famous case, a 9-year-old boy named Jeffrey Bailey pushed a toddler into the deep end of a motel swimming pool in Florida. As the boy struggled and sank to the bottom, Bailey pulled up a chair to watch. Questioned by the police afterward, Bailey explained that he was curious to see someone drown. When he was taken into custody, he seemed untroubled by the prospect of jail but was pleased to be the center of attention."

    My father also knew a boy (probably a psychopath) who liked to kill cats in horrible ways, but he doesn't know what he has become.
    Since diagnosing children as psychopaths is an ability only recently discovered, we can't say what Michael's father was as a child. But there is at least an intuitive case for showing that psychopathy runs in the family. For example, the case has been made that Bundy's grandfather and father are the same person based on his behavior.


    Psychopaths can't learn emotional empathy, but they can learn cognitive empathy.

    Is the article actually saying that the police threw a 9 yo boy in jail?

    Edit - according to the article, "One study calculated the heritability of callous-unemotional traits at 80 percent."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. What Question would you ask Ted Bundy?
    By chubber in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-12-2016, 08:36 PM
  2. Better off Ted Characters- what are their types?
    By ladypinkington in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 01:07 AM
  3. Ted Nugent??
    By alcea rosea in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 02:58 AM
  4. [NT] Ted.com
    By fleurdujour in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO