• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meryl Streep

R

RDF

[...] I do not see Meryl Streep this way. I think she comes across that way in the Prada movie, but that is not Meryl Streep. Meryl Streep is not suave or sophisticated. She is socially awkward and clumsy. I am thinking of the Ellen Show, and the one when she accepted an award for something, and that show where they asked her all those questions.

Well, you'll have to read the rest of my post(s) above, and see my interpretations of those clips.:) I believe that Streep is adopting deliberate attitudes and poses and "working the crowd." (See below for another example.)

[...] It was interesting that the only bad word she came up with was "Oh My God". Is that S? I think so. I would say she is F because she really felt awful for the women in the rain and P because she is not very organized but in such a wonderful way :) Not T, she states she would hate sitting at a desk behind a computer all day. [...]

Your points are in reference to the "Questionnaire" clip. When looking at that clip, I think you have to keep in mind that Streep was vamping and hamming it up furiously on that occasion, much like her AFI appearance.

That "Questionnaire" clip probably deserves special attention. (I kind of ignored it in my previous post(s) and only referred to it once at the end.)

The "Questionnaire" clip is an old clip from the television show "Inside the Actors Studio" hosted by James Lipton and filmed at an acting college. Big stars appear on the show and talk about their work. At the end of the show Lipton gives them the "questionnaire." The stars know it's coming, and the same 10 questions are asked every time. The questions are silly and meaningless, so I guess the actors can use the questions for whatever they please. They can use the questions to free associate, improvise, reveal some personal tidbits about their lives, or whatever.

In Streep's case, she uses the 10 questions to ham it up and vamp and schmooze. For example, as soon as Lipton announces the questionnaire, Streep gives an exaggeratedly big mock-dramatic gasp and says very theatrically, "I have heard about this!" It gets a big laugh from the audience, because everyone knows its coming and that it's not a surprise at all.

Streep continues on to create 10 little dramatic scenarios. For example, in the first one she coyly plays the doting mother showing off how precocious her child is ("coconut milk"). In the "pain" question, she carefully creates a haunting scene about a homeless woman crying in the rain. In the "Oh my God" segment, she plays the naive believer who wonders if she should spend more time thinking about God. And in the last question, she does a big dramatic finish with her instant enthusiastic response: "Everybody in!"

She's just hamming and vamping. For some questions she is seductive. For other questions she is kittenish or little-girly. For other questions she is philosophical. On some of the questions it looks like she's improvising as she goes, but on other questions she has clearly prepared her answers beforehand.

So when the audience applauds her at the end, they are applauding her specifically for her acting (and not for her answers). You have to remember that she is a world class actor on a stage at an acting college, and she is hamming and showing off her craft to a bunch of aspiring actors. Sometimes she plays the answers straight and goes for dramatic effect; sometimes she overacts the answer a bit and injects just a touch of tongue-in-cheek, and sometimes she deliberately overacts the answer in order to get laughs from the audience.

For example, note the deliberate way she set up the "obscenity" question. She preps the audience with the "Oh my God" answer, then goes on a mock philosophical streak by asking if she should be thinking more about God, then she holds the thoughtful pose way too long until she gets laughter (if only to let people know that she was kidding), and then finally she knocks the audience down with the "cocksucker" obscenity.

IOW, I wouldn't put much stock in her answers. Mainly I think she is just riffing and vamping and schmoozing with the audience and the host, in typical ESTP fashion. Basically she's just showing off. As with any ESTP, you never know what's coming next. That's how she's able to be on the stage in front of a room of fellow actors (as was the case in both the AFI and Questionnaire clips) and still manage to blow everyone out of the water with her agility, quickness of mind, and stage presence.

I think the clip is mostly useful for seeing how ESTPs love to vamp and schmooze (particularly the very theatrical ones). Just when you think they're being sincere, ESTPs will ham it up and turn things upside down. And just when you think they're joking and being silly, they'll suddenly get very thoughtful and sincere and heartfelt. But in the end, they're just doing what ESTPs do: They are "working the audience."

I think the clip is also useful for seeing Streep get a little peeved when Lipton one-ups her on the "cocksucker" answer and beats her at her own game. It shows that this is a competition for ESTPs, and they're used to being the Alpha person and winning at all times. Streep takes it in stride when Lipton one-ups her. But it's clear that she considers herself the big star on the stage, and she doesn't much like it when the host interrupts her momentum. :)

That's my interpretation, anyway. :) My interpretation may sound cynical. But you have to remember that I have one of these very theatrical older female ESTPs as a relative. I've seen her keep up the show non-stop 24/7. It's really pretty amazing to see in real life. I played around with fitting lots of different personality types to her, because she shows so many facets. But in the end ESTP works best because one thing always remains the same: She is always "working the audience." :)

Here is a link to an article on the TV show "Inside the Actors Studio." It also lists the 10 questions of the well-known "questionnaire": Inside the Actors Studio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, you'll have to read the rest of my post(s) above, and see my interpretations of those clips.:) I believe that Streep is adopting deliberate attitudes and poses and "working the crowd." (See below for another example.)

Your points are in reference to the "Questionnaire" clip. When looking at that clip, I think you have to keep in mind that Streep was vamping and hamming it up furiously on that occasion, much like her AFI appearance.
This is where we differ. It's my impression that she's not pretending anything. She's being herself. INFPs enjoy fantasy, so it's easy to assume others do, too. Since my type tends to attempt to live "authentically" most of the time, my assumption is that she is being authentic. I cannot see that she is pretending. I believe she is actually that socially inept.

Sorry if this isn't that diplomatic. I was trying to be.

R

RDF

This is where we differ. It's my impression that she's not pretending anything. She's being herself. INFPs enjoy fantasy, so it's easy to assume others do, too. Since my type tends to attempt to live "authentically" most of the time, my assumption is that she is being authentic. I cannot see that she is pretending. I believe she is actually that socially inept.

No problem. I understand the point you're making: The multiple facets and faces that Streep shows can become a blank screen upon which we project our own interpretations.

I think Meryl Streep would be flattered to hear you suggest that. Artists usually like being enigmatic and subject to multiple interpretations. They would probably prefer not to be dissected and then pinned up on a board for exhibition with a simple four-letter title underneath. :)

I don't mind agreeing to disagree. I consider your answer diplomatic. :)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I agree. I don't see her as hamming it up all that much and to me anyway she appears honest with responses. Maybe I''m being naive. :tongue:
We're discussing right? I don't see why anyone would take offense to your opinion. I am always grateful when someone has an opinion. :D

I do wonder though what kind of woman would be standing outside of Cartier's shivering? Was she homeless? I doubt they would allow homeless people to stand outside of such an exclusive store.

Maybe we can all agree that Meryl Streep is a very complicated woman and not easy to analyze. :D

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
Unless they're playing a role for some purpose (theatre, movies, TV, or running a scam), nobody in their right mind pretends to be socially inept, and judging from my TV, movie, and theatre viewing, very few of those get it right. I'll vote for INTP.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
such a space cadet. wild floating Ne connected to Fi. it's the backbone of her acting. she's an infp. so is angelica huston. shocking but true. they're the same person.

it made me realize that ellen is in fact entp and not enfp as i previously considered, watching the streep-ellen interview. streep seems sooooo stoned. the letterman interview she dresses like a fairy. enneagram 9w1 (<--- why she's so hard on herself and explains what she's dealt with to create such realistic believable intensely feeling characters). i'm pretty sure i've known her in another life.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
such a space cadet. wild floating Ne connected to Fi. it's the backbone of her acting. she's an infp. so is angelica huston. shocking but true. they're the same person.

it made me realize that ellen is in fact entp and not enfp as i previously considered, watching the streep-ellen interview. streep seems sooooo stoned. the letterman interview she dresses like a fairy. enneagram 9w1 (<--- why she's so hard on herself and explains what she's dealt with to create such realistic believable intensely feeling characters). i'm pretty sure i've known her in another life.
I agree on the Ne and Fi but not the order.

I read an interview with her once and she said she feels like she doesn't exist when she's not around others. And other actors and directors describe her as being incredibly vivacious, outgoing, gregarious and charismatic.

She totally an ENFP.

alicia91

I have no idea what type she is but I don't see why she would be described as contradictory and socially awkward. Where the heck does that come from? I didn't see that at all from any of the clips. She comes across as outgoing, gregarious and knows exactly what she's doing socially.

She has a reputation for bedding all her leading men according to numberous Blind Items. Don't know if that helps with type though!

magalove

MBTI Type
INFJ
INFJ females and people who know (a mature) one extremely well, what say you?

I came back onto the internet tonight after shutting it off to watch Evening before bed and couldn't resist checking to see if the internet thinks Meryl is an INFJ because I thought so immediately. It's the first time I've ever considered her through my MBTI glasses even though I've loved her forever. I can't relate to any of the other opinions on here, INFJ for her seems blaringly obvious to me. I realize this is an OLD thread and I haven't even finished reading it yet, but I'm chiming in. Just because.

magalove

MBTI Type
INFJ

I am an INFJ and a 9w1, so maybe that's why I automatically assume Meryl is INFJ just because I relate to her. At least we're the same in some way. I'm not that into enneagram so I didn't think about that until I saw this post.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Arguably the greatest actress alive today, what type do you all think she is?

I'll wager 9w8 Sx/Sp INFJ.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think INFJ too, but fecal mcangry made a good case for her being infp... it's in some thread somewhere on here.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Meryl Streep said:
"My success has depended wholly on putting things over on people."

Not a F!

[youtube=EWOPY9_QTTU]Meryl Streep - Oscars interview - Star of Doubt, Its Complicated, Mamma Mia, Julie & Julia[/youtube]

[youtube=9Qh6qNxJIMA]Meryl Streep interview for Mamma Mia the Movie in HD[/youtube]

[youtube=g3wxrZ8FJmQ]Meryl Streep Interview 1979[/youtube]

[youtube=hFp2SD-AUdw]Meryl Streep Interview & Clips - The Iron Lady[/youtube]

On theses videos we can see that Meryl S is very meek and smooth, she has a lot of Fe, but as we see in the quote Fe can't be her dominant or auxillary function, Fe is submited to Ti, so Fe is her tertiary function. Not her inferior function because she use it too much spontaneously. She's either ENTP or ESTP but she is concre and very sensation-seeking, then ESTP. She's a smooth entrepreunarial and logical operator, playful and very friendly.

The fact that she plays Margaret T with a lot of natural is related to the fact that they share the same enneatype, they are both 1s. But not of the same variant. Margaret S is a 1w2 So/Sp. Meryl S is a Sexual 1. She's overall more mellow than histrionic and not too much driven to enlarge herself to a larger social sphere, but has a sense of boudaries, then she's a 1w9 Sx/Sp. We see very well the connections to point 4 and 7 in theses videos.

ESTP 1w9 Sx/Sp is her type.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ 1w9 Sx/Sp