• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meryl Streep

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What's particularly funny is how people tend to assume inaccurate typings simply because of your tidal wave of posts.

Likewise, how you kind of just flood threads will garbage kills anyone's desire to put any energy into defending a claim.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's particularly funny is how people tend to assume inaccurate typings simply because of your tidal wave of posts.

Likewise, how you kind of just flood threads will garbage kills anyone's desire to put any energy into defending a claim.

Yes, ofcourse, i have a lot of culpability because of developing my opinion.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not a F!

On theses videos we can see that Meryl S is very meek and smooth, she has a lot of Fe, but as we see in the quote Fe can't be her dominant or auxillary function, Fe is submited to Ti, so Fe is her tertiary function. Not her inferior function because she use it too much spontaneously. She's either ENTP or ESTP but she is concre and very sensation-seeking, then ESTP. She's a smooth entrepreunarial and logical operator, playful and very friendly.

The fact that she plays Margaret T with a lot of natural is related to the fact that they share the same enneatype, they are both 1s. But not of the same variant. Margaret S is a 1w2 So/Sp. Meryl S is a Sexual 1. She's overall more mellow than histrionic and not too much driven to enlarge herself to a larger social sphere, but has a sense of boudaries, then she's a 1w9 Sx/Sp. We see very well the connections to point 4 and 7 in theses videos.

ESTP 1w9 Sx/Sp is her type.
I agree she is a sexual 1 (definitely with the 4 and 7 touches too :yes: ) but there's no way she's a ESTP. She may seem Ti like because she's rather intelligent, erudite and is articulate at expressing her ideas; additionally people tend to develop tertiary and inferior functions with age and maturity. I don't usually find her concrete at all; she has that NF whimsy and passion for people and ideas. She does come across as mellow but now and then see emotional expression; however if she is indeed a INFJ it would only make sense that she regularly concealled feelings to some degree.

Anyway, it's probably not a good idea to gauge her based on press junket interviews because they're often very short and shallow in content and they require her to sit there and answer the same questions over and over and give a manufactured sound bite to please people; in these situations she is no doubt tired, bored and not exactly herself.

A really good interview to look at is her Inside the Actors Studio one. Unfortunately the whole thing isn't on youtube and some of the bits I like the best seem to be cut; however I did find it on one of her fan sites though. I recommend watching the whole thing (if only because it's fascinating and rather entertaining) but here are some particularly revealling parts you should watch:

12'50-15'17: On her acting process (This sounds very much like a Ni approach to creativity, with some some Fe thrown in)
19'00-21'40: On preparation and spontaneity
24'42-26'08: On connecting to people and the meaning of acting
27'36-30'00: On losing confidence in herself
(and is a funny story :laugh:)
31'57-36'02: Taking the questionnaire (also funny :D)
36'07-36'45: What director Mike Nichols said about her effect on others
37'21-39'02: More on acting approach

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Now that I think about it, she might be a One. She has a certain methodical approach to her acting that seems "perfect", though she probably works very hard at it. And in real life, she seems very proper, whereas Nines seem very earthy.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree she is a sexual 1 (definitely with the 4 and 7 touches too :yes: ) but there's no way she's a ESTP. She may seem Ti like because she's rather intelligent, erudite and is articulate at expressing her ideas; additionally people tend to develop tertiary and inferior functions with age and maturity. I don't usually find her concrete at all; she has that NF whimsy and passion for people and ideas. She does come across as mellow but now and then see emotional expression; however if she is indeed a INFJ it would only make sense that she regularly concealled feelings to some degree.

Anyway, it's probably not a good idea to gauge her based on press junket interviews because they're often very short and shallow in content and they require her to sit there and answer the same questions over and over and give a manufactured sound bite to please people; in these situations she is no doubt tired, bored and not exactly herself.

A really good interview to look at is her Inside the Actors Studio one. Unfortunately the whole thing isn't on youtube and some of the bits I like the best seem to be cut; however I did find it on one of her fan sites though. I recommend watching the whole thing (if only because it's fascinating and rather entertaining) but here are some particularly revealling parts you should watch:

12'50-15'17: On her acting process (This sounds very much like a Ni approach to creativity, with some some Fe thrown in)
19'00-21'40: On preparation and spontaneity
24'42-26'08: On connecting to people and the meaning of acting
27'36-30'00: On losing confidence in herself
(and is a funny story :laugh:)
31'57-36'02: Taking the questionnaire (also funny :D)
36'07-36'45: What director Mike Nichols said about her effect on others
37'21-39'02: More on acting approach

I quote myself from another thread:

Let's take this part by part. In the MBTI, a Feeler is someone who put people over things, while a Thinker is someone who place things over people.

Here is what Meryl S says about this:

Meryl Streep said:
"My success has depended wholly on putting things over on people."

So, as she admits it herself, her natural preference goes for putting things over people, instead of putting people over things. Which means that Meryl S is a Thinker, not a Feeler.

So, if she is not a Feeler, she's not an INFJ, is she an INTJ, perhaps?

Perhaps, but actually, it doesn't work, because, as people who type her as an INFJ points it, she is an Fe user, not an Fi user, and even if their final typing is wrong, they are right about this. So if she's not an INTJ, she could be the Fe user and thinker counterpart, an INTP, maybe. But it doesn't work either, because we could hardly imagine an Fe-repressor, especially an INTP displaying such a smooth, sophisticaded Fe so easily, and this at every stage of her life, young or old. So, if she is not an Fe inferior, a tertiary Fe makes much more sense.

So, she is ESTP or ENTP. But she leans more on ESTP, because she never shows any difficulties to think and act in a concrete way, while she sometimes shows dificulties to think in the abstract or the symbolic. And she has also this in-charge interaction style, she is an Alpha Female, working the crowds with facility and grace, with a strong protocolar aura and an entrepreunarial, smooth operator style. Therefore she is ESTP, and by any means, she is certainly an EP, she is exuberant and fun, outgoing and versatile, and very engaging and open-minded.

So, she is ESTP, not INFJ. People identify her functions, but put them backwards.

I don't see anything especially INFJ-related in the links you posted. She's an obvious ESTP.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Quotes time!

"Every time I think it's a silly way to spend my life, I see a performance by another actor and think, 'I couldn't live if I didn't have this in my life.' I really think that. Or a piece of music. We need art. We really need art. Maybe we need to feel we count, like our existence matters. Acting can do that; it can make you feel more alive and proud to be a human being. Even seeing the worst of humanity."---Streep on why people need to act to USA Weekend, December 1, 2002.

Obvious Se-dom there. She simply says that she must be active and always be doing things to feel good. If she was an Ni dom, she would say that she above all need abstract thinking to feel good, but it's not the case.

"I don't go anywhere. You have to go to openings and be on E! entertainment, and I've never enjoyed doing that. I don't even go to openings of my friends' movies, even though it's supportive and lovely to do. It poses a problem marketing a movie, because they want you out and about. So it's always a tug, it's always a battle with the guilt making machine."---Streep in The Boston Globe, December 22, 1996.

So she's basically disdainfull of the entertainment industry, a mark of a true antisocial ESTP.

"I know that when I start a new job, that this is the thing that precedes me," Streep says with a sigh. "That I'm rigorous in doing my homework and hideously overprepared, and ..." She shrugs. "And that's fine. Better to come off as smarter and more disciplined than I actually am."

Being disciplined is not her natural way to be, but as a Perceiver, she can bi fucused and disciplines for something which truly matters.

"My biggest problem in my entire life is time management. But it really defines the big, important things.

Obvious P.

I've made career judgments on the basis of making [my family] happy. Like not taking location things, and if it is on location, writing it in the contract that, I'm going to be home at a certain time and work so many days. And then I'm out of there!

So she is a good mother and spouse, and ESTPs are known for frequently being good supporters of their family.

"She's past the analyzing of the character. Her training and her experience have taken her to a point where she can be effortless with a lot of things other people have to work really hard at."---Robert Redford quoted in Entertainment Weekly, October 7, 1994.

So she relies more on training and experience tahn on anaysis, again, an obvious Se-dom.

"When you watch her work in something like "Adaptation," where it's so kind-of idealistic - it's slippery sort of stuff - she just brings you along. You feel as if you're experiencing it with her: When she starts laughing like, 'This is nuts; this is crazy,' you start thinking, 'This really is crazy!' She's very funny, very bright and really bossy, which is another quality I like about her. I think that comes from being four people's mother."---Julianne Moore Hollywood Reporter June 6, 2004

Bolded >> definition of the ESTP style. See also the part about her super adaptative nature, no types are more adaptatives than the ESTP type.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ 1w9>3w4>7w6 Sx/Sp

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, though I think she may be a 2-wing.

eh, she seems more proper and reserved as opposed to "hey! praise me bitches!" like 3w2 fixers tend to be

PS: you're ENFJ now?

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
eh, she seems more proper and reserved as opposed to "hey! praise me bitches!" like 3w2 fixers tend to be

PS: you're ENFJ now?
Just trying the label for now. I'm trying to see which one I use more: Ni or Fe?

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
fwiw, you strike me neither as extroverted nor Fe dom.
I'll decide in a month if it really fits. Fe-doms tend to be go-getters and "on" almost all the time, neither of which really describe me.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What does this mean?

It means what people think of your type is NOT everything when it comes to settling on your type. There's always difference in perception.

imo, trust yourself -- that, or just accept that you are multi-faceted and how you come off to people varies on the context.