User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 99

Thread: Meryl Streep

  1. #41
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Would you explain in more detail?
    Of course.

    While I do believe that extroverted entertainers will generally be better able to deal with the "schmooze requirements" than the introverted ones, given the shallow nature of the interaction I think it is degrading (quite apart from false) to peg it as extroverted heaven.

    Case in point: Quintessential ESFP movie star Leonardo DiCaprio absolutely hates the media frenzy he's lived in since Titanic.

    Edit: There's a back story here, INTJMom, which you're probably not familiar with. We're mostly introverted intuitives on this board and there's been problems of extroverts and sensers being misrepresented (for various reasons ranging from prejudicial armchair theorizing to venting). For that reason, some of us are extremely sensitive to what we find are unfair generalizations.

  2. #42
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Of course.

    While I do believe that extroverted entertainers will generally be better able to deal with the "schmooze requirements" than the introverted ones, given the shallow nature of the interaction I think it is degrading (quite apart from false) to peg it as extroverted heaven.

    Case in point: Quintessential ESFP movie star Leonardo DiCaprio absolutely hates the media frenzy he's lived in since Titanic.

    Edit: There's a back story here, INTJMom, which you're probably not familiar with. We're mostly introverted intuitives on this board and there's been problems of extroverts and sensers being misrepresented (for various reasons ranging from prejudicial armchair theorizing to venting). For that reason, some of us are extremely sensitive to what we find are unfair generalizations.
    Thanks for explaining.
    Perhaps I should have said, if she was an extrovert she wouldn't dislike it?

    Are you saying some extroverts don't like schmoozing?

    And besides, it depends on what you're referring to.
    There's a difference between going on a promotion circuit,
    and being stalked by paparazzi 24/7.

  3. #43
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Thanks for explaining.
    Perhaps I should have said, if she was an extrovert she wouldn't dislike it?

    Are you saying some extroverts don't like schmoozing?
    Well, of course they like making social connections, but this was the original context:

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    They have the highest schmooze requirement, glitzy party attendance, being placed on display, addressing crowds, constantly being photographed, picked apart, fans approaching at every turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I agree, and I believe Meryl Streep said that is the part of show business that she dislikes. If she was an E, she would like it.
    I'm quite sure most of my extroverted friends would not enjoy the aspects of the entertainment industry described by toonia and so I had to protest.

    No biggie though.

    And besides, it depends on what you're referring to.
    There's a difference between going on a promotion circuit,
    and being stalked by paparazzi 24/7.
    True. However, he seems to dislike both.

  4. #44
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ...True. However, he seems to dislike both.
    So what makes him an E?

  5. #45
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ...I'm quite sure most of my extroverted friends would not enjoy the aspects of the entertainment industry described by toonia and so I had to protest.

    No biggie though. ...
    I took her description as a generalization, not literally, since each person's experience is different. I agreed with her in general about show business in general.

  6. #46
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    So what makes him an E?
    Did you read the thread (and watch the interviews)? If you do that and still don't think he's an E despite his discomfort with interviews, then go ahead and post your objections in that thread.

  7. #47
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Did you read the thread (and watch the interviews)? If you do that and still don't think he's an E despite his discomfort with interviews, then go ahead and post your objections in that thread.
    No.
    There's a thread about Leonardo?
    I only wanted YOUR opinion about what makes him an E if he hates doing E things.
    ( I am trying to learn.)

  8. #48
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    No.
    There's a thread about Leonardo?
    I only wanted YOUR opinion about what makes him an E if he hates doing E things.
    ( I am trying to learn.)
    Oh boy, are we miscommunicating! It's my fault, sorry, I treat newcomers to the board like old-timers. The link in this earlier post of mine...

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Case in point: Quintessential ESFP movie star Leonardo DiCaprio absolutely hates the media frenzy he's lived in since Titanic.
    ... is a link to a thread I started here about LD's type. (Incidentally, so was the link I provided to ENTP Rose McGowan.) If you click on the LD link, you will not only find my take on his type, we will also be taking the discussion to where it is on-topic.

  9. #49
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I believe she's an E?TP. Maybe ESTP.
    Bingo. I agree exactly.

    After watching the clips, I register MS as a very strong ExTP, and probably an ESTP rather than an ENTP. (I note that a lot of internet websites list her as ENTP and none as ESTP, so ESTP is a chancey bet. But I still register her as an S rather than an N.)

    She is constantly riffing on things, turning conventions upside down, challenging, vamping, schmoozing, and one-upping. If she is alone on a stage and giving a speech, then she starts riffing on her own lines by saying one thing and then turning it upside down in the very next line.

    It's all done in very high style. MS herself points out that she was a fan of the old black and white romance movies, and many of her mannerisms are borrowed from those. Nonethless, it's pretty apparent to me. On the clip where she appears with Ellen DeGeneres, Ellen even calls her on it twice and they nearly get into a bit of a fight about it. (It looks very much like Ellen may be the same or very similar type--Ellen's reaction to MS's games and posturing is almost instantaneous.)

    I should also mention that I have a female relative (about 10 years older than me) who does the same things in very much the same way. I've always just gotten the biggest kick out of watching that older relative do her thing--the riffing and posturing and vamping--at family gatherings. I've always typed that relative as ExTP with a probable lean toward ESTP. So practically from the start of the first clip of MS with Letterman, MS reminded me heavily of that relative. (I think there's a generational aspect to doing or recognizing that kind of old-style riffing and vamping--i.e., older folks who have been exposed to the old black-and-white vampy romances.)

    I'll write up a longer post pointing out exact examples of what I'm trying to describe. (Maybe in a day or two.) Reading through the existing thread so far, it looks like demonstrating that MS is an ESTP is going to be a hard sell.

  10. #50
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Reading through the existing thread so far, it looks like demonstrating that MS is an ESTP is going to be a hard sell.
    ... If there is anyone on this board who can make me think twice about MS as an ESTP, it's you, FineLine...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO