User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 99

Thread: Meryl Streep

  1. #31
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I'd kinda like to hear more, but i'm guessing we'd have to take it to the 'mature' subforum.
    Most definitely

    At least we were polite enough to post in your thread, unlike over at INTPc.

    I love INTJ's, that is why I married one.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  2. #32
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia
    Regarding the introvert/extrovert bit, what does she say about herself? How does she recharge when tired? That's what matters in deciding that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    So, unless you agree with toonia's extreme view of introversion, in which case I will extend my agree-to-disagree policy to include you, I'm afraid you're going to have to do your own arguing.
    Cool your jets, economica.

    Those individuals i described in the post you referenced are all highly successful functioning professionals, some of whom make a lot of money and are at the top of their fields. Most of them were my University mentors. My point was that there are noticeable numbers of people with that level of introversion. When people start assuming that most every politician, rock star, Hollywood actor is introvert, it's worth stepping back and asking whether or not those fields would tend to attract significantly higher percentages of extroverts. Those fields simply do not permit much alone time to recharge. That my profession has been in performance gives me a small glimpse into the reality of this. They have the highest schmooze requirement, glitzy party attendance, being placed on display, addressing crowds, constantly being photographed, picked apart, fans approaching at every turn. Can you see that would not typically be a home for an introvert? If you don't think that is a reasonable question, then your view is pretty extreme.

    We should probably take some time to examine and define what extroversion is, because so far introversion seems to cover it all.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

    I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

  3. #33
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Cool your jets, economica.

    Those individuals i described are all highly successful functioning professionals, some of whom make a lot of money and are at the top of their fields professionally. Most of them were my University mentors. My point was that there are noticeable numbers of people with that level of introversion.
    ... I agree, but my point is that one doesn't have to exhibit that extreme level of introversion to qualify as an MBTI introvert.

    When people start assuming that most every politician, rock star, Hollywood actors are introverts, it's worth stepping back and asking whether or not those fields would tend to attract significantly higher percentages of extroverts. If you don't think that is a reasonable question, then your view is pretty extreme.
    I agree with you that those fields probably attract a disproportionate amount of extroverts. However, that is not an argument against a specific individual in one of said fields being an introvert... Unless you are claiming that the 'significantly higher percentage' is in fact 100%.

  4. #34
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ... I agree, but my point is that one doesn't have to exhibit that extreme level of introversion to qualify as an MBTI introvert.
    That was not ever my point either. It is important to examine the entire range of introversion through extroversion in order to have a sense of what the continuum is. How else is it possible to know where to place someone in a context?

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    .I agree with you that those fields probably attract a disproportionate amount of extroverts. However, that is not an argument against a specific individual in one of said fields being an introvert... Unless you are claiming that the 'significantly higher percentage' is in fact 100%.
    And i actually don't draw any conclusions in any of these threads about determining type. I just find because of the disproportionate percentage of introverts on this board, there can easily be a tendency to project those percentages onto society's figureheads. My point is that for any public figure's type it is quite reasonable to give a full examination to the possibility of extroversion. Because of high profile, public context, if one position is to be initially assumed, extroversion makes more sense than introversion, although no assumption may be ideal. The exception are public figure's who exhibit a more extreme introversion like Robert DeNiro's, in which extroversion is reasonably dismissed even without knowing the person very well.

    I don't want to bring up other threads and celebs, but I agree that Streep is more plausible as an introvert than some celebrities proposed on this forum by various people. I do know that self-assured women like Streep are not ever going to appear shy, but likewise they will feel zero pressure to hide their introversion. When they are around people and in the spotlight, it is because they choose to be.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

    I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

  5. #35
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    That was not ever my point either.
    I understood that you believed the level of introversion exhibited by Robert De Niro and that list of equally extreme introverts you provided to be representative - even a requisite - of introversion, but if you share my view that they are in fact extreme, then I am glad to hear that.

    It is important to examine the entire range of introversion through extroversion in order to have a sense of what the continuum is. How else is it possible to know where to place someone in a context?
    What makes you say the entire range of introversion through extroversion isn't being examined? Personally, I do not presume someone is an introvert (or an extrovert), instead I form an opinion as I empty YouTube for interviews and compare with the people I've typed in real life. And I know introverts who could do talk shows like the ones we've had in dispute, whereas you said MS seems very extroverted to you in interviews, which is what made me refer to what I thought was a discrepancy in our takes on introversion.

    Anyway, IMO this typing awaits someone who knows ENTP and/or INTP women IRL.

  6. #36
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Oh, I wasn't offended, I just failed to realize you were in fact serious. Usually I have to work harder to stimulate such inspiration. My bad.
    Very funny. I'm afraid you can't take the credit for that inspiration.
    I had it a long time ago. I just thought that you, being an INTJ, would be interested in it.

    toonia and I have previously debated the E/I dimension and she and I importantly disagree regarding where to draw the line. I would describe her view of introversion as extreme. Regarding the E/I dimension and whether a celebrity who is comfortable in the spotlight can nevertheless be an introvert, I therefore tend to agree to disagree with her.

    So, unless you agree with toonia's extreme view of introversion, in which case I will extend my agree-to-disagree policy to include you, I'm afraid you're going to have to do your own arguing.
    I agree with toonia's assessment that performers need time alone to recoup.

    In Meryl Streep's case, she goes home every night because she has a strict pact with her family not to go away on location.

    I believe there are plenty of celebrities who are I types, and they limit their work based on how much stimulation they can stand.

  7. #37
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Very funny. I'm afraid you can't take the credit for that inspiration.
    I had it a long time ago. I just thought that you, being an INTJ, would be interested in it.
    I was actually referring to the tone of your post... Oh, never mind.

    ---

    I just talked to my friend Blackwater who knows a female ENTP in her mid-thirties and he says he does not recognize her in Meryl Streep.

  8. #38
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    ...They have the highest schmooze requirement, glitzy party attendance, being placed on display, addressing crowds, constantly being photographed, picked apart, fans approaching at every turn...
    I agree, and I believe Meryl Streep said that is the part of show business that she dislikes. If she was an E, she would like it.

    bolds mine

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Quotes time!

    "Every time I think it's a silly way to spend my life, I see a performance by another actor and think, 'I couldn't live if I didn't have this in my life.' I really think that. Or a piece of music. We need art. We really need art. Maybe we need to feel we count, like our existence matters. Acting can do that; it can make you feel more alive and proud to be a human being. Even seeing the worst of humanity."---Streep on why people need to act to USA Weekend, December 1, 2002.
    This kind of motivation can easily overcome the dislike of the other parts of show business.

    "I don't go anywhere. You have to go to openings and be on E! entertainment, and I've never enjoyed doing that. I don't even go to openings of my friends' movies, even though it's supportive and lovely to do. It poses a problem marketing a movie, because they want you out and about. So it's always a tug, it's always a battle with the guilt making machine."---Streep in The Boston Globe, December 22, 1996.
    This quote proves to me that she is an I who sometimes has to make concessions and do E types of things, but she doesn't enjoy them.

    "I've made career judgments on the basis of making [my family] happy. Like not taking location things, and if it is on location, writing it in the contract that, I'm going to be home at a certain time and work so many days. And then I'm out of there!
    This is where Streep eeks her alone time out of her schedule. She's very strict about it apparently.

  9. #39
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I agree, and I believe Meryl Streep said that is the part of show business that she dislikes. If she was an E, she would like it.
    As I think is clear I agree that MS is an introvert but I have to take issue with the bolded part. Extroverts are not all indiscriminate attention addicts. Just sayin'.

  10. #40
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    As I think is clear I agree that MS is an introvert but I have to take issue with the bolded part. Extroverts are not all indiscriminate attention addicts. Just sayin'.
    Ok.

    Would you explain in more detail?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO