User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Meryl Streep

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Quotes time!

"I don't go anywhere. You have to go to openings and be on E! entertainment, and I've never enjoyed doing that. I don't even go to openings of my friends' movies, even though it's supportive and lovely to do. It poses a problem marketing a movie, because they want you out and about. So it's always a tug, it's always a battle with the guilt making machine."---Streep in The Boston Globe, December 22, 1996.
    This quote is one big reason why I am comfortable thinking that she is an I.

"When you're being watched unnaturally you feel it, if you're a sensitive person. Who knows what this delicate thing is that actors are making? So if that's diva behavior, sorry. I don't have handlers. I do have a longtime makeup man and hairdresser who performs the scourge role in my on-set life and keeps people away."---Streep on asking reporters to leave the set while she is working to Entertainment Weekly, October 7, 1994.
    This seems very I also.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post

What are you basing this on?
    I went to Simply Streep.com | Your Online Guide to Meryl Streep and viewed her awards acceptance speeches.

ENTP, better?

I'm an INFJ as is Cafe, and imo we are very different people. My Mother is an ISFJ and she drives me nutso, Ivy is possibly also an ISFJ and I adore her. I use MBTI as an indicator, nothing more.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ

Touche. ... However, can we always be sure we have an objective view of ourselves?
    How right you are! Did you realize even our reflection in the mirror is not a reflection of what others see? It's backwards! It's impossible for us to see ourselves as we are. (Unless someone takes a picture and shows it to us.)

Did you actually read it? The quote is:
    I didn't. Thank you. (And I didn't see the movie either.)

That's what I'm claiming is saliently out of character for an INTJ.
    Because NTs don't feel obligated "listen to all the different sides"? You're saying that's a function of the empathetic F who subjectively makes decisions by putting themselves in other people's shoes? I wouldn't have seen it that way, but I think you're probably right.

On the surface, it sounded like a lament that she's not more J, but I didn't see the movie, so I don't know the character she was playing.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    How right you are! Did you realize even our reflection in the mirror is not a reflection of what others see? It's backwards! It's impossible for us to see ourselves as we are. (Unless someone takes a picture and shows it to us.)
    Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I fail to see how my argument warranted this sarcasm. If my evidence regarding my mother is irrelevant due to lack of objectivity on my part, surely yours regarding yourself can be discredited on the same grounds...?

Because NTs don't feel obligated "listen to all the different sides"?
    No, I said the quote is out of character for INTJs specifically. Case in point: Can we imagine Ayn Rand saying it?

On the surface, it sounded like a lament that she's not more J, but I didn't see the movie, so I don't know the character she was playing.
    I originally interpreted the quote as evidence of P, but I am willing to accept that an INFJ could have said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Clouds View Post
    ENTP, better?
    No, I'm afraid you're going to have to actually present arguments.

(Lack of personal recognition as an INFJ duly noted, but what's with the X in your profile? Are you unsure about your type?)

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As an exercise, how do you think she compares to Digest, for example? I do not see much similarity there in terms of presentation.
    See, that was part of my inspiration for the comment. It surprised me how similar the two of them seem to me: the sharp wit, the exuberance, the emotional insight, the toughness, the valuing of objectivity. That's what i saw. But we each have a different perspective I suppose. And i realize comparing two people is not a solid base for a type. My main point is that ENTP seems worthy of full consideration. That's all.

Regarding the introvert/extrovert bit, what does she say about herself? How does she recharge when tired? That's what matters in deciding that point.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know. Some of this has already been covered above.

Sigh. No one is really doing anything wrong here, and I am in a "down" mood in general this weekend... but these "What type is so-and-so?" discussions leave me feeling like I am arguing with people about how to interpret a particular passage of the Bible. There are just too many points of perspective and ambiguity for the group to ever settle on a particular MBTI type for someone, so I think I am going to invest my time on writing other things.

(I think I am also realizing I am more of a "take it or leave it" person on some topics.)

Good luck, everyone!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

No, I'm afraid you're going to have to actually present arguments.

(Lack of personal recognition as an INFJ duly noted, but what's with the X in your profile? Are you unsure about your type?)
    hehe , I think Toonia summed it up pretty well and I believe that we're correct. But as I also said, without spending quality time with Meryl Streep ( like we would ever have the chance) it is impossible to do anything other than speculate.

I'm an INFJ married to an INTJ and sometimes his type rubs off on me causing me to "feel" unsure of my type.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ

Touche. ... However, can we always be sure we have an objective view of ourselves?
    Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I fail to see how my argument warranted this sarcasm. If my evidence regarding my mother is irrelevant due to lack of objectivity on my part, surely yours regarding yourself can be discredited on the same grounds...?
    I'm terribly sorry that you were offended by what I said. I had no intention of being sarcastic. You made an excellent point of us not being objective about ourselves, I agreed with you, and then I further agreed with you by sharing a revelation I have had about that truth.

I did not realize my comment could be construed as sarcastic. I was being entirely serious. Please accept my apology. I did not intend to offend you.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

hehe , I think Toonia summed it up pretty well and I believe that we're correct. But as I also said, without spending quality time with Meryl Streep ( like we would ever have the chance) it is impossible to do anything other than speculate.

I'm an INFJ married to an INTJ and sometimes his type rubs off on me causing me to "feel" unsure of my type.
    Good heavens woman! I'd kinda like to hear more, but i'm guessing we'd have to take it to the 'mature' subforum.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm terribly sorry that you were offended by what I said. I had no intention of being sarcastic. You made an excellent point of us not being objective about ourselves, I agreed with you, and then I further agreed with you by sharing a revelation I have had about that truth.

I did not realize my comment could be construed as sarcastic. I was being entirely serious. Please accept my apology. I did not intend to offend you.
    Oh, I wasn't offended, I just failed to realize you were in fact serious. Usually I have to work harder to stimulate such inspiration. My bad.

Thank you for clarifying.

But as I also said, without spending quality time with Meryl Streep ( like we would ever have the chance) it is impossible to do anything other than speculate.
    I am well aware of the difficulties of typing celebrities, but it is a premise of these threads that the attempt is meaningful. I do not force those who disagree with that premise to participate, but I do ask that participants argue their typings.

I think Toonia summed it up pretty well
    toonia and I have previously debated the E/I dimension and she and I importantly disagree regarding where to draw the line. I would describe her view of introversion as extreme. Regarding the E/I dimension and whether a celebrity who is comfortable in the spotlight can nevertheless be an introvert, I therefore tend to agree to disagree with her.

So, unless you agree with toonia's extreme view of introversion, in which case I will extend my agree-to-disagree policy to include you, I'm afraid you're going to have to do your own arguing.

For comparison with a confirmed female ENTP, see Rose McGowan. Of course, MS is 30 years older than RM, but I still don't see the resemblance. (INTP-ENTP, maybe, but not two ENTPs.)