User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Meryl Streep

MBTI
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    INTJMom, thanks for chiming in, however, do you actually know any INTJ women IRL (apart from yourself) whom you recognize in Meryl Streep? How about any INFJ or INTP women for comparison?

My mother is 60 and INTJ and I do not recognize any of her in Meryl Streep. As quoted in the OP: "She's not INTJ... too free and relaxed for that." Of course, that puts a negative spin on it. I guess a different way of saying it is that she doesn't seem as intent on world domination as the rest of us.
    Before yesterday, I thought Streep was an S, so I didn't have a pre-conceived notion that she was INTJ.
    I tested one woman I knew who was INTP and 3 men, I think I have known 2 female INFJs and a couple of male INFJs, and I am partially INFJ myself.

Did you see the last interview I posted? A lot of her real self comes out.

"too free and relaxed" - I watched several other videos where she was being herself, and I did not get the impression that she is free and relaxed. The more I watched, the more I related to her.

I believe she is an I.
    She seemed very N.
    Her brutal honesty with herself makes her a T.

I can't say for sure if she's a P or a J, though when she shows up for a tv interview, she is dressed more J than P.
    And as I pointed out before, she has that strict boundary with her family vs doing films on location. A "P" would crave to be more flexible than that, and also would have stated it in a more P way.

She said she "steals" techniques from other people - I do that, too.
    She is brutally honest - so am I.
    She is extremely self-deprecating - I am, too.

I just know that I related to her.
    The more she talked, the more convinced I became that might very possibly be an INTJ.
    Obviously, I don't know for sure, but that is my impression.

The sound she hates the most is the sound of pain.
    She might have a high F.

I have found F people to be naturally diplomatic.
    I have been studying for 20 years, the way that an F will respond in such a gracious way.
    They always impress me with their natural ability to not be offensive.
    I didn't see that in Meryl's interviews.
    I'm not saying she was unkind or offensive, I'm just saying I didn't hear the F talking.

For instance, she contradicted Ellen at least twice.
    I have never seen an F do that in that curt of a manner.

She seems awfully black and white to me but I suppose she could be a P.
    I will have to see some more of her.

While I was searching around, I saw that she'll be starring in a movie with Pierce Brosnan
    Mamma Mia! (2008)
    Last edited by proteanmix; 10-07-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Merged posts

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Did you see the last interview I posted? A lot of her real self comes out.
    Yes, I saw it and I've seen many others. I stand by that I do not recognize any of my mother in Meryl Streep.

"too free and relaxed" - I watched several other videos where she was being herself, and I did not get the impression that she is free and relaxed. The more I watched, the more I related to her.
    Hmm... I find myself wishing you would upload a video of yourself talking and gesturing (like this INFJ one). I wouldn't do it myself so I completely understand if you won't, but I'm afraid I'd have to see it in order to believe that an INTJ woman could come across like MS does. I see no Te in her whatsoever.

Also, how about that quote on her role in the Manchurian Candidate (see the OP)? Judging not only by my mother but also by other female INTJs I know, that quote is saliently out of character for an INTJ. (INFJ I will buy.)

I have found F people to be naturally diplomatic.
    I have been studying for 20 years, the way that an F will respond in such a gracious way.
    They always impress me with their natural ability to not be offensive.
    I didn't see that in Meryl's interviews.
    I'm not saying she was unkind or offensive, I'm just saying I didn't hear the F talking.

For instance, she contradicted Ellen at least twice.
    I have never seen an F do that in that curt of a manner.
    I have seen an INFJ be ungracious/undiplomatic in precisely the way Meryl Streep is. I'm leaning more and more toward her being INFJ.

INFJ females and people who know (a mature) one extremely well, what say you?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Are we sure she is an introvert? She joked about calling an acting gift "having something weird inside you that makes you want to show off in this particular way". Right after Letterman she has a big birthday party to go to (although she said she was dreading it, but didn't say if it was because it was a big party or just something else about it). She goes to her son's concerts, 'hides in the back so she can scream and yell'. Her presence is very extroverted (of course she is an actress ) She didn't say anything in the interviews to allude to being withdrawn or recharging alone. No indications of introversion in these particular interviews.

When watching the clips ENTP is what came to my mind. She describes her husband as very stable which enables her to have her spaz moments, and yet I can definitely see the T quality to her. ENTPs can be very insightful into people's minds and emotions. Of the NTs the ENTP and INTJ are the more emotional ones having tertiary Feeling functions. INTJs and ENTPs can be surprisingly passionate.

INTJ - Ni Te Fi Se
    ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si

She seems awfully black and white to me but I suppose she could be a P.
    I will have to see some more of her.
    J's are more structured and as a result are going to have comprehensive systems of thought in place before forming an opinion (iNtuitors tend to). P's remain open-ended on some level, but seem to balance this by selecting certain absolutes to anchor them in their sea of choices. I think the main difference with a P is that once an opinion is formed for a J, it takes restructuring to overturn it. I very often experience Ps (especially FPs) as being more willing to apply absolutes (both ideal and negative) to situations than J's.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I love Meryl Streep. She is at the very top of my favorite actors list.

She often comments on how unprepared she is outside of her roles in films. I remember her attending an awards show where she hadn't dressed appropriately and her hair and makeup were a complete disaster.

I believe she's an E?TP. Maybe ESTP. It's really impossible to know without spending time with her.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Are we sure she is an introvert? She joked about calling an acting gift "having something weird inside you that makes you want to show off in this particular way". Right after Letterman she has a big birthday party to go to (although she said she was dreading it, but didn't say if it was because it was a big party or just something else about it). She goes to her son's concerts, 'hides in the back so she can scream and yell'. Her presence is very extroverted (of course she is an actress ) She didn't say anything in the interviews to allude to being withdrawn or recharging alone. No indications of introversion in these particular interviews.
    toonia, you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on whether Robert De Niro's level of introversion is representative.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Clouds View Post
    I believe she's an E?TP. Maybe ESTP.
    What are you basing this on?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    That's funny. Because I get no extrovert vibes off her at all. I am not analyzing what she is saying (which is all contextual, in any case, and cannot be taken as singular declarative statements of "type" -- introverts... and especially moms... are capable of extroverted behavior when their children and/or family are concerned), I am simply looking at how she carries herself and faces the world -- sort of a "general presentation" sort of thing. (She's a mature introvert, if that helps, not a neurotic stereotypical one.)

When watching the clips ENTP is what came to my mind.
    No, she operates from an internally subjective point of view, separate from the world. She very much has that internal base of operations, from which she peers out, collects information, then takes it all back in to impact her internal world.

As an exercise, how do you think she compares to Digest, for example? I do not see much similarity there in terms of presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Clouds View Post
    I believe she's an E?TP. Maybe ESTP. It's really impossible to know without spending time with her.
    People have made a strong(er) case for Scarlet Johannsen to be an ESTP here. So how does Streep compare to Johannsen? Are they the "same" sort of person, or are they different intrinsically? Can we use one to calibrate against the other?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    People have made a strong(er) case for Scarlet Johannsen to be an ESTP here. So how does Streep compare to Johannsen? Are they the "same" sort of person, or are they different intrinsically? Can we use one to calibrate against the other?
    Scarlett Johansson's an ISTP. Angelina Jolie is the ESTP.

(And IMO has no similarities with Meryl Streep.)

MBTI
    INTJ

Yes, I saw it and I've seen many others. I stand by that I do not recognize any of my mother in Meryl Streep.
    Can we always be sure we have an objective view of our own mother?

Hmm... I find myself wishing you would upload a video of yourself talking and gesturing (like this INFJ one). I wouldn't do it myself so I completely understand if you won't, but I'm afraid I'd have to see it in order to believe that an INTJ woman could come across like MS does. I see no Te in her whatsoever.
    I am not sure what you mean. I DO gesture and talk with my arms and hands like that, though I thought it's because I am a visual learner. I also have some E, in that I sing on stage and enjoy it. I don't know what Te looks like, so I don't have an opinion on that.

Also, how about that quote on her role in the Manchurian Candidate (see the OP)? Judging not only by my mother but also by other female INTJs I know, that quote is saliently out of character for an INTJ. (INFJ I will buy.)
    I would have a hard time trusting my judgment of someone's type based on a role they were playing.

I have seen an INFJ be ungracious/undiplomatic in precisely the way Meryl Streep is. I'm leaning more and more toward her being INFJ.
    Really? I suppose I could be mistaken about that. I am an admirer of diplomacy, but perhaps I have been calling all diplomacy F and non-diplomacy T. In that, I could have been mistaken.

INFJ females and people who know (a mature) one extremely well, what say you?
    If she is an INFJ then I feel sorry for her that she has not better developed her diplomacy, but I still admire her as an amazing artist.
    LOVED her in Out Of Africa!

MBTI
    INTJ

Can we always be sure we have an objective view of our own mother?
    Touche. ... However, can we always be sure we have an objective view of ourselves?

I would have a hard time trusting my judgment of someone's type based on a role they were playing.
    Did you actually read it? The quote is:

(On her role in The Manchurian Candidate) "I loved being someone so certain. Because certainty is just so attractive in people. To me, it's a completely bogus position - for me. Because, you know, I'm listening to every side. But it's so nice not to have to listen to all the different sides. To be so clear and on your track and sure. It's a fabulous thing. Unfortunately, it leads to fanaticism."
    That's what I'm claiming is saliently out of character for an INTJ.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Scarlett Johansson's an ISTP. Angelina Jolie is the ESTP.
    Doh, you're right... My brain is snoozing.

(But, yes, my point still stands. )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft