• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Umberto Eco - Autor of Name of the Rose

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
I think he is an ENFP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_88tW5KzV0&feature=related

-He likes putting on a show.
-Likes talking about himself.
-Not attuned to the reception of the audience, more attuned to himself (Fi)
-Enjoys giving unfinished statemetns / half-baked points (ENFP)

But he could also be INFP or even a special kind of ISFP. What do you think?

Oh and does anybody know of any other forums where people disucuss famous peoples' types? I like this one, but activity is slow.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
you think an INTP ennea 5 would be against e-readers because then books wouldn't be personal enough? :unsure:

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
i am italian and I've read a lot of him (interview, video and so on) and I think he has a classic INTP vibe. Then, semiotics is a classic Ti dom function with Ne (He invents communication science in Italy). Every ennegram site types him as 5 (and I think it's correct...) so it correlates also with intp.

edit: about e-book and about he loves lists (see his book) it is the tertiary Si, imho.
bye

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always had him down as some kind of NTP.

He has an impressive amount of arcane knowledge and loves to take little inconspicuous facts, play around with them and put them into a larger context, analyzing the shit out of them for lolz, constructing interesting theories out of almost nothing. Also, he is clearly more interested in impersonal factoids and theories than in people and values play only an inferior role for him. He lives to analyse and interpret the world.

He uses current events and external inspiration to trigger his theories, he loves to present himself. I see a playful ENTP who prefers a false or unverifiable but interesting theory to a correct but boring one.

I do not see Fi but rather a certain level of weak Fe coming to the aid of strong Ti. Si explains the nostalgia and strong interest in history. And, as has been said before, semiotics is a picture book Ti discipline.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
has anyone actually seen the clip i link to?

I did not think it neccessary because I am already familiar with him, have read several of his books and seen several interviews. However, since you asked so nicely, I just watched the entire 28 minutes and 40 seconds and can now report back to you. I did not find anything that I would think supports your theory and I still stand by my previous accessment.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
thank you for going in to it then :)

here are some quotes i found though, that seem to indicate

Eco: "[I am fascinated by stupidity] because normal intelligence is boring. Two plus two makes four. Finished. You have no possibilities! Stupidity is infinite. Two plus two can make billions of different numbers."

Eco: "[The following is] an old idea of mine, but I find that whenever I tell people about it, they immediately agree with me. The fact is that the world is divided between users of the Macintosh computer and users of MS-DOS compatible computers. I am firmly of the opinion that the Macintosh is Catholic and that DOS is Protestant."

Eco: "The Macintosh is counter-reformist and ... cheerful, friendly, conciliatory; it tells the faithful how they must proceed step by step to reach - if not the kingdom of Heaven - the moment in which their document is printed."

Eco: "[DOS] takes for granted the idea that not all can achieve salvation. To make the system work you need to interpret the program yourself: Far away from the baroque community of revelers, the user is closed within the loneliness of his own inner torment."

-Silly (ENFP)
-Makes static objects seem alive (Fi)
-Sticks out for the underdog (Fi)

and also as I said:
-he has this thing with physical books and he is against e-readers (NFP)

so I simply don't see INTP. but maybe we type differently. interpret the letters differently. that would be a task for a semiotician to solve, lol

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Very likely INTP with a strong N and mild T. (I'm also italian and I've watched countless interviews with him as main character, sometimes unwillingly)

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
thanks for chiming in. i appreciate the italianangle, and i guess italian culture IS more extroverted.

though

"[I am fascinated by stupidity] because normal intelligence is boring. Two plus two makes four. Finished. You have no possibilities! Stupidity is infinite. Two plus two can make billions of different numbers."

this seem INTP to you? :unsure:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yea, he was likely being ironic / sarcastic.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that quote shows more of an interest in human nature (on a more mechanial and generalized, systematic level) and the way reality is constructed in the brain than a disregard for or disinterest in "the truth".

He comes across comparatively warm and jovial, but that might be Fe plus some cultural elements.

Here, for the sake of contrast, is another author and public intellectual (and like Eco another favorite writer of mine) with a similar level of Ne who has a more controlled facade (Indian culture and Oxbridge education) but who - I think - might be an ENFP underneath it.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0xysoqT2gs&feature=related"]Salman Rushdie[/YOUTUBE]

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Out of curiosity, why the Six wing? Is it due to his interest in analyzing current events and social phenomena?

I do agree with So/Sp or Sp/So, though - he's quite interested in the sociopolitical arena (So) and has a kind of fascination with the storage of information, so to speak (Sp). At least, that's what I see in the writings of his that I've read...

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
granted, the things he write about seem INTP, but i still thinks that he keeps dropping ENFP-like things, like this:

eco.jpg

I love The Name of the Rose, I don't think an ENFP could have written it (which is not to say I don't enjoy ENFP authors, just that they don't write books of this nature.) I only watched about 7 minutes of the video but he vibes INTP to me as well.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
He has that 'information-collecting' thing I associate strongly w/ INTPs... I found Name of The Rose really annoying when I had to read it :(