• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oprah Winfrey

A

Anew Leaf

Yeah, I lean more strongly towards ESFJ than ESTJ (because she seems to thrive on Fe), but I see nothing but ESxJ in her. She was known for being an over-achieving, hard-working, hyper-involved child with a knack for public speaking. She has even said herself that she attributes her success to early ambition and a belief in hard work and dilligence. Moreover, she is quite infamous for her nit-picking, detail-mongering ways (as well as for her megalomania, but I don't think that's type-related.)

All of this taken together points way more to ESFJ than ENFJ. Unless of course you think that her belief in some conspiracy theories or the character she played in The Color Purple are more typologically relevant than the things I listed. Oh, and before anyone does it, I'll just go ahead and say that if you attempt to say that the characteristics I listed in favor of ESFJ can be equally applied to ENFJ, then you are guilty (as many on this site are) of stealing the standout traits of SJs and giving them to Ns for no other reason than that you are stubbornly stuck, for whatever fucked-up reason, on calling her an N.

For the record, I do not type people based on some sort of sensor quota system. If it seems that way, it's simply because there is, not a tendency, but more like a rule in this subforum that everybody is a goddamn N of some sort. You'd think that, given the accepted statistical proportions of types ("SJs rule the world, boo fucking hoo me"), someone will have noticed the ridiculousness of this behavior. And, admittedly, many have noticed, but the rule remains. I type Ns as Ns when they display characteristics of their type. It's much more work (and much more confusing, not to mention theoretically scattered and inconsistent) to rationalize someone's type using stupid little meaningless details. That's when I know it's become less about discovering someone's actual type and more about rationalizing one's own type because they want to be N (they think, "well if I'm an INFP and I have these traits, and person X also has these traits, then person X must be INFP too. She can't be ISFJ, because then that might mean I'm ISFJ, and that's simply not possible.)

Uh ok.

A

Anew Leaf

This could be personal type bias but I'd say she's way too quick to hop onto the conspiracy theory bandwagon (e.g. The Secret) to be an ESFJ. Not that ESFJs wouldn't do that, but I don't think I've ever seen Si-skepticism in Oprah before. Or really, any kind of skepticism. She just enthusiastically accepts any ideas that come her way.

Could she be an ENFP?

I see way more Fe with her than anything resembling Ne. :thinking: Also, she seems very put together and organized. Whereas most ENFPs I have met are wondrous idea generators that quickly whirl off to start yet another project. (I am guilty of this same behavior myself. ;))

The internal perceptive functions are always the trickiest for me to piece out. I guess I found her to be an ENFJ because of the vibe I get from watching her interact with other people. She reminds me a lot of the ENFJ friends I have had over the ESFJ friends I have had.

A

Anew Leaf

Well, you asked, and also condescended to suggest that my typing of her might have had as its basis some affirmative action for Ss agenda. I responded to both.

.... I was making a light hearted comment because I know the N-S crap can get out of hand. And that is why I didn't understand getting this paragraph thrown back at me:

For the record, I do not type people based on some sort of sensor quota system. If it seems that way, it's simply because there is, not a tendency, but more like a rule in this subforum that everybody is a goddamn N of some sort. You'd think that, given the accepted statistical proportions of types ("SJs rule the world, boo fucking hoo me"), someone will have noticed the ridiculousness of this behavior. And, admittedly, many have noticed, but the rule remains. I type Ns as Ns when they display characteristics of their type. It's much more work (and much more confusing, not to mention theoretically scattered and inconsistent) to rationalize someone's type using stupid little meaningless details. That's when I know it's become less about discovering someone's actual type and more about rationalizing one's own type because they want to be N (they think, "well if I'm an INFP and I have these traits, and person X also has these traits, then person X must be INFP too. She can't be ISFJ, because then that might mean I'm ISFJ, and that's simply not possible.)

Don't presume to judge me and say I am being condescending.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I lean more strongly towards ESFJ than ESTJ (because she seems to thrive on Fe), but I see nothing but ESxJ in her. She was known for being an over-achieving, hard-working, hyper-involved child with a knack for public speaking. She has even said herself that she attributes her success to early ambition and a belief in hard work and dilligence. Moreover, she is quite infamous for her nit-picking, detail-mongering ways (as well as for her megalomania, but I don't think that's type-related.)

All of this taken together points way more to ESFJ than ENFJ. Unless of course you think that her belief in some conspiracy theories or the character she played in The Color Purple are more typologically relevant than the things I listed. Oh, and before anyone does it, I'll just go ahead and say that if you attempt to say that the characteristics I listed in favor of ESFJ can be equally applied to ENFJ, then you are guilty (as many on this site are) of stealing the standout traits of SJs and giving them to Ns for no other reason than that you are stubbornly stuck, for whatever fucked-up reason, on calling her an N.

HAHAHAHA! Funny post!

Sometimes you will run across something on the internet and think to yourself, "It's so true!" This is one of those moments. Unfortunately, it is only indirect evidence of Oprah's type.

I don't know that celebs are typed as N more often than S, or if this is just an effect of there being an over-representation of iNtuitives on this forum.

Oprah Winfrey is a highly idealistic and responsible ENFJ.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
.... I was making a light hearted comment because I know the N-S crap can get out of hand. And that is why I didn't understand getting this paragraph thrown back at me:

Don't presume to judge me and say I am being condescending.

The paragraph you quoted was aimed at the forum in general. Not at you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also, you said:

why do you think she's esfj? Or is this one of those "I'm sick of everyone thinking someone super successful had to be an N?" things? ;)

I took this as condescending because I sensed that you were being patronizing towards the idea that "everyone thinking someone super successful had to be an N" is something that's happened, and is happening right now in this very thread. Sort of like an ironic, post-sensor-bias wink, wink. If that's not how you meant it, I apologize. If it is, then I still find it condescending.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
HAHAHAHA! Funny post!

Sometimes you will run across something on the internet and think to yourself, "It's so true!" This is one of those moments. Unfortunately, it is only indirect evidence of Oprah's type.

Pray tell, from what direct evidence are you deriving your conclusion?

I don't know that celebs are typed as N more often than S, or if this is just an effect of there being an over-representation of iNtuitives on this forum.

Um, one of these clauses is a question of fact, and the other is a possible explanation of the fact that's in question. So now I'm not sure what's going on here. Is this another one of your deceitful sensor tactics?

Oprah Winfrey is a highly idealistic and responsible ENFJ.

That's convincing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pray tell, from what direct evidence are you deriving your conclusion?

Um, one of these clauses is a question of fact, and the other is a possible explanation of the fact that's in question. So now I'm not sure what's going on here. Is this another one of your deceitful sensor tactics?

That's convincing.

She's an "open book." Come on. The only more obvious thing would be for her to come running out on stage with her MBTI report in hand, declare that her type is ENFJ, and start jumping up and down shouting YAYYYYYYY! like she always does.

A

Anew Leaf

This could also be a Ni-Ti sort of thing.

For someone who is quick to judge others as being condescending, you certainly don't bother to try and act differently.
The paragraph you quoted was aimed at the forum in general. Not at you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Also, you said:

Well, considering that everything else was aimed at me, it isn't too far of a stretch to see that the rest of the post was aimed at me as well.

I took this as condescending because I sensed that you were being patronizing towards the idea that "everyone thinking someone super successful had to be an N" is something that's happened, and is happening right now in this very thread. Sort of like an ironic, post-sensor-bias wink, wink. If that's not how you meant it, I apologize. If it is, then I still find it condescending.

It wasn't intended to be condescending at all. However, I find all of your replies to be quite rude and condescending themselves.

I haven't participated in any sensor bashing on this site and I don't appreciate being pounced upon in this thread like this. If you choose to think she is some sort of ESXJ then be my guest. I will continue thinking she is an ENFJ based on my own opinion.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This could also be a Ni-Ti sort of thing.

Wouldn't it make more sense to say it's an Si-Ti sort of thing?

For someone who is quick to judge others as being condescending, you certainly don't bother to try and act differently.

I don't mind condescension as long as it's based on something legitimate.

Well, considering that everything else was aimed at me, it isn't too far of a stretch to see that the rest of the post was aimed at me as well.

Again, I apologize if it came off that way. It was not my intention.

It wasn't intended to be condescending at all. However, I find all of your replies to be quite rude and condescending themselves.

But did you intend it to mean what I said?

I haven't participated in any sensor bashing on this site and I don't appreciate being pounced upon in this thread like this. If you choose to think she is some sort of ESXJ then be my guest. I will continue thinking she is an ENFJ based on my own opinion.

I never said you participated in sensor bashing, and again, I apologize if my post came off as a personal attack upon you. It wasn't intended as such.

Also, believe what you want. I merely responded to your questions, which is the only reason I'm speaking to you right now.

She's an "open book." Come on. The only more obvious thing would be for her to come running out on stage with her MBTI report in hand, declare that her type is ENFJ, and start jumping up and down shouting YAYYYYYYY! like she always does.

Convincing.

A

Anew Leaf

Wouldn't it make more sense to say it's an Si-Ti sort of thing?

I don't mind condescension as long as it's based on something legitimate.

Again, I apologize if it came off that way. It was not my intention.

But did you intend it to mean what I said?

I never said you participated in sensor bashing, and again, I apologize if my post came off as a personal attack upon you. It wasn't intended as such.

Also, believe what you want. I merely responded to your questions, which is the only reason I'm speaking to you right now.

Convincing.

No, I did not intend for it to come off the way you choose to take it. Hence, my explanation of if being a light hearted joke. If you haven't had evidence of me doing a certain kind of behavior, I find it puzzling as to why you would automatically conclude that that is what I was doing. Versus the multitude of times on here where I am making jokes or topics less serious.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Ah, but you are only assuming I was trying to convince. Here's an alternative idea for you: LAUGH! :happy2:

Nah, I was assuming that you were incapable of even attempting to convince, and ridiculing you for eliding my questions as a result.

And I'm laughing at this very moment.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, way to gaslight there.

I've known my share of ESFJs and ENFJs in real life, and she doesn't scan as ESFJ to me whatsoever; I think Oprah done by an ESFJ would have been implemented much differently and been focused more on practicalities.

But it seems pointless to argue type on an online forum, everyone has their own perceptions and no way to reconcile them... and honestly, why does it even matter what type she is? To me, it's one of the most meaningless pursuits on this forum especially when it comes down to the sort of arguing tactics you're using here ("If you disagree with me, you're just being biased"). PLease.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, way to gaslight there.

I've known my share of ESFJs and ENFJs in real life, and she doesn't scan as ESFJ to me whatsoever; I think Oprah done by an ESFJ would have been implemented much differently and been focused more on practicalities.

But it seems pointless to argue type on an online forum, everyone has their own perceptions and no way to reconcile them... and honestly, why does it even matter what type she is? To me, it's one of the most meaningless pursuits on this forum.

And one of its biggest draws.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah, I was assuming that you were incapable of even attempting to convince, and ridiculing you for eliding my questions as a result.

And I'm laughing at this very moment.

I'm not in the mood to convince on this particular topic. If I wanted to prove that the sky is blue because of refraction, etc., I would. But sometimes, simply looking is enough.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And one of its biggest draws.

To repeat myself:
TO ME, it is one of the most meaningless pursuits of this forum.
And not one of its biggest draws.

Maybe TO YOU, it is one of the biggest draws.

Get it straight.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To repeat myself:
TO ME, it is one of the most meaningless pursuits of this forum.
And not one of its biggest draws.

Maybe TO YOU, it is one of the biggest draws.

Get it straight.

In terms of numbers, I see a high, albeit unknown, percentage of the membership here engaging in typing others. And who can estimate the number of lurkers who come here looking up type calls.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At first I thought ENFJ as well; but after having watched her being interviewed, I now think she's an ESFJ 3w2. My mbti typing method is too unorthodox to bother mentioning.