• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Characters: The Quintissential MBTI

heart

heart on fire
I'm thinking of maybe making Dream from The Sandman INFP. He seems pretty INFP to me... Unless, anybody has evidence otherwise.

INFPs have to deal with being called 'fluffy,' but I'm pretty sure that Dream is an INFP and I'm pretty sure he's not very fluffy... Lol.

I don't even know what the "sandman" is, but INFP only present "fluffy" mask to the world, people who know one well will see the deeper, darker side. You are therefore very astute in your choice.

I don't care if my choices make the list, I mere offer them for the sheer satisfaction of expressing my views on the subject.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I don't even know what the "sandman" is, but INFP only present "fluffy" mask to the world, people who know one well will see the deeper, darker side. You are therefore very astute in your choice.

Yah, the "fluffiness" of INFP's is a huge misconception. I think a lot of the essence of INFP's is that they have a huge range of emotions and states... so if we are fluffy, we also have a darker edge, if we are funny, we are also intensely serious, if we are happy, we are also sad, and I think we generally feed off this kind of veriety and range, which I think is the reason some INFP's are known to almost enjoy being sad.

Just wanted to pitch in, carry on :ninja:

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm thinking of maybe making Dream from The Sandman INFP. He seems pretty INFP to me... Unless, anybody has evidence otherwise.

INFPs have to deal with being called 'fluffy,' but I'm pretty sure that Dream is an INFP and I'm pretty sure he's not very fluffy... Lol.

What do you think about Death's type then? ENFJ is what I arrive at.

Delirium seems like ENFP. Though I don't use this to determine her type, it is interesting how she can barely remember anything and an ENFPs inferior function is Si.

If not, Ariel from the little Mermaid is usually seen as an ENFP.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Kiddo:
What you think vs. (What I Think)

Family Guy

Peter Griffin

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I would add Stewie as INTJ but I don't think that's fair.

Even though he does certainly exhibit INTJ traits, I don't think the Family Guy characters are well developed enough to be given the MBTI treatment. Stewie is a caracature taken to an extreme. Underdeveloped characterization, I think, is also the problem with Light from Death Note.

I'd also propose that Near from Death Note was INTJ, at least in the way he operated. And I'll concede that Naruto is ESFP. Action, action, action, with heavy idealism on the side.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would add Stewie as INTJ but I don't think that's fair.

Even though he does certainly exhibit INTJ traits, I don't think the Family Guy characters are well developed enough to be given the MBTI treatment. Stewie is a caracature taken to an extreme. Underdeveloped characterization, I think, is also the problem with Light from Death Note.

I'd also propose that Near from Death Note was INTJ, at least in the way he operated. And I'll concede that Naruto is ESFP. Action, action, action, with heavy idealism on the side.

I just wanted to say that I've really been thinking about this hard, so don't think that this thread is dead yet. I think it's a great idea. I just want to make sure the characters I post are "quintessential" enough. :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

I don't care if my choices make the list, I mere offer them for the sheer satisfaction of expressing my views on the subject.

I don't think INFPs are a fluffy type...

Nothing fluffy about Fi... Ne is just as apparent in the INTP as in the INFP... Si and Te aren't fluffy...

INFPs are quite serious, I think.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think INFPs are a fluffy type...

Nothing fluffy about Fi... Ne is just as apparent in the INTP as in the INFP... Si and Te aren't fluffy...

INFPs are quite serious, I think.

I still want my wizard beard! :D

Hey, Kiddo, any ideas on Edward? You missed her.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Nothing fluffy about Fi... Ne is just as apparent in the INTP as in the INFP...

I remember reading on a site that gave a list of adjectives for each type which said that both INTP and INFP were "aware of a dark side".

I think it's pretty apt. :devil:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Well here is my list. I'm sure it will change as more quintissential characters come to light.

Guardian:

ESTJ: Hank Hill, King of the Hill
ESFJ: Monica, Friends
ISTJ: Neji Hyuga, Naruto
ISFJ: Ophelia, Hamlet

Artisan:

ESTP: Bart Simpson, The Simpsons
ESFP: Naruto Uzumaki, Naruto
ISTP: Muugen, Samurai Champloo
ISFP: Misa Amane, Death Note

Idealist:

ENFP: Ariel, The Little Mermaid
ENFJ: Hermione Granger, Harry Potter Books
INFP: Dream, The Sandman
INFJ: Huey Freeman, The Boondocks

Rational:

ENTP: Bugs Bunny, Warner Brothers Studios
ENTJ: Orochimaru, Naruto
INTP: L, Death Note
INTJ: Uryu Ishida, Bleach

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Dream is an INFJ, perhaps even an ISFJ, IMO. I just get that vibe from him. He's very strongly bound by his duties and responsibilities -- often represented as a strong J trait, and almost never as a P trait, if you'd like to play along with the stereotypes, and you unfortunately have to if you're really into classifying fictional characters. And a stern taskmaster, to boot. I also don't see his personal values as one of his primary motivators at all. He can be vehement in defending his own perspective on things, or disagreeing with those that don't suit his views, but certainly (as can be seen from a great deal of Death-Dream dialogue) he'll take others' views into consideration, and even concede that they are more right than he is.

Also, as seen in Season of Mists and Brief Lives, he can be very accomodating towards others and is well acquainted with social structures and gestures. He offers his hospitality to every planar visitor that comes to him in the former series, converses with each of them in private, and in the latter one genuinely attends to his sister Delirium's needs when she comes with an offer to find their brother, even though he's in great emotional distress at the time -- going as far as to confide in his servant that he only goes on the adventure to lessen said distress, which, again if you're into the stereotypes, might be an indicator of "manipulative and controlling" Fe.

You could even make an argument for his tertiary Ti at work when you consider his outsmarting of the demon -- whose name I forgot -- in the first series, where he wins a verbal sparring match with the phrase "I am hope." and leaves the demon flabbergasted, after a period of analysis where he figures out how the demon plays the game and then responds accordingly.

Though I should note that in Dream's case just about every suggestion should be taken with a grain of salt -- what with being nigh omnipotent and all.

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
I was overlooking some other threads and it sometimes seems like characters fit the archetypes of the MBTI nearly exactly. I'm trying to compile at least one for each type here.

Uh, I hate to throw water on this, but I find that characters often don't fit MBTI archetypes. That's because those who write tha characters often don't know MBTI. So the character may have some character traits of one type and some of another. Or, they will exaggerated character traits. Like the taking the cleanliness and orderliness of ISTJs to an extreme.

I hate it when I see characters totally not fitting a type. And I get frustrated with that fairly often. The ESFP, for example, having the nobility and idealism of an INFP. Bah! They want their heros to have it all! And it doesn't happen that way in real life.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Uh, I hate to throw water on this, but I find that characters often don't fit MBTI archetypes. That's because those who write tha characters often don't know MBTI. So the character may have some character traits of one type and some of another. Or, they will exaggerated character traits. Like the taking the cleanliness and orderliness of ISTJs to an extreme.

I hate it when I see characters totally not fitting a type. And I get frustrated with that fairly often. The ESFP, for example, having the nobility and idealism of an INFP. Bah! They want their heros to have it all! And it doesn't happen that way in real life.

I also have mixed feelings about doing this. However, just because some characters don't fit into one distinct type 100% of the time doesn't mean we can't discern the type they most likely are. If you think about it, we do the same thing as people. Personality is defined as consistent patterns of behavior, which means that sometimes even people can be inconsistent. With characters it is harder because you don't get raw data from them, you get what the author chooses to present to you. Unfortunately, some authors choose to present the inconsistencies more, or just create inconsistent characters to begin with (aka bad writing).

I find this thread unique because I don't think that a normal person can ever be "quintessential", since we are much to dynamic and complex to ever fit into one solid and unchanging pattern. However, I think finding fictional characters that DO fit the pattern perfectly (or close to, at least) is useful in its own respect (or maybe just to me because I use Ni). If you imagine the true personification of any type, you would have to be thinking of some type of cartoon-like character. Thus, I would think finding fictional characters that best represent a type is appropriate.

But don't get me wrong, I just see this thread as FUN not as fact. :party2:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
But don't get me wrong, I just see this thread as FUN not as fact. :party2:

Yes, it's supposed to be fun.

I would add some of the new stuff but I can't edit the original post. Which is frustrating.

I think I know a character for INTJ: Victor Frankenstein. The book especially.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Misa Misa an Introvert??

No way!!! Explain yourself!!

I guess Light could be an INTJ but I got an ENTJ vibe throughout the whole show, I think an ENTJ can be just as smart as an INTJ, also I just don't see an Introverted type putting all that time into the same ambitions that Light went into. Extraverts don't have to be puppy dogs around people to be extraverted- especially the Rationals.