this just for the sake of curiosity:
which type do you think could be assigned to the following character? i had a long discussion with my co-author the other day and read a post on another forum that made me wonder. so far, it would seem certain that he is an introverted sensing type, but other than that, no idea.
name: I., male
- insists that his surroundings be in ideal physical order. each of the objects he owns has its own strictly defined place (to a point where, for example, his pen has to lie at a specific distance from the edge of the table, not an inch closer or further). tends to become angry if one of them is touched or moved without his consent. has rigid personal routines.
- is organized and tidy to a fault. cannot stand dust or dirt in any form.
- excellent sense of style, very well-dressed. chooses only the highest-quality clothing. prefers formal (traditional or business) garments but may dress more casually when required; however, will invariably appear neat and will choose well-sewn clothes made of quality fabric, if he can help it.
- extremely detail-oriented. has the sort of "sticky thinking" that clings to each minute factoid and has difficulty letting go, so he is often dragged down by a mass of unnecessary information. had some trouble generalizing as a child/teenager.
- is a gifted silversmith. creates excellent jewellery and small cups with engraved designs. due to his intense focus, may lose himself in his work to such an extent that he forgets to eat or sleep (and this is about the only situation where he can forget this, too).
- no interest in any abstract topics or theories. doesn't like reading; used to be illiterate for a long time and showed no desire to educate himself. however, eagerly reads books on silver- and gold-smithing and other 3D/spatiovisual crafts, likes examining to the illustrations, which he sometimes copies into a sketch book to give himself some new ideas.
- to say he is stubborn would be an understatement. perseveres against the odds until he attains his goal, whatever it might be. never abandons a project he has already started (“doing the task at hand to death” is how this was described by others).
- very dominant, but not social. speaks in monosyllables.
- out of touch with his feelings, prone to sudden outbursts as a result. has prolonged bouts of dysphoric depression (despair, anger, a desire to "take it out" on others). divides his inner states into two categories: "rotten mood" (his usual condition, which is more or less tolerable) and "absolutely rotten/awful mood" (dysphoria).
- susceptible to states of affect. acts during his "moments" without knowing what he is doing. at the peak of dysphoria, has outbursts of blind rage and may be violent; was known to attack those both much stronger and much weaker than himself. exactly the sort of person who would commit a crime of passion (and he did, at one point)
- with significant others, quickly becomes possessive, treats them as property. jealous. sexual double standard: thinks nothing of maintaining a more or less balanced sexual and emotional relationship with one woman while using another for sex and treating her as a living toy, will accuse both of being unfaithful.
- while at his worst, used to obsess over women he was attracted to, stalked them, was both physically and psychologically abusive with one (who broke under the pressure) and psychologically abusive with another (who was just like him and responded accordingly).
- is something of a perpetual adolescent. has always had trouble with authority figures, finds it difficult to accept that anyone should have power over him.
- i wouldn’t call him an obsessive worrier, he is not exactly that, but he feels a constant generalized inner tension which tends to build up and eventually explode. obsessed with curbing what he considers “disorder” and remaining in control of the situation.
- enjoys physical exercise and hard manual labor as they help relieve the inner tension, finds the accompanying physical sensations pleasant. athletic. has a sound appetite, eats large filling meals.
- adrenalin addict, uses dangerous situations as a psychological release valve.
- has never really felt happy in the full sense of the word; suspects that others might know something about the meaning behind this word, some mystery he has no access to.
- coping strategies that help him deal with his moods: withdrawing into solitude (locks himself up in his study), activities that require patience, precision and attention to detail (making fine jewellery, carving wooden figurines), observing his private routines more rigorously than he would have otherwise. may react with violence if disturbed.
- at his worst, was openly sadomasochistic, focused on inflicting direct physical pain, but also derived pleasure from psychological abuse (favorite tactics: placing his victim in a "double bind" where neither of the two possible solutions would be satisfactory, forcing them to repeat the same action again and again and then finding fault with the result, random verbal attacks for no apparent reason).
- at his best, can be heroic (e.g. has no reservations about entering a burning building to save someone), but still self-absorbed. lacks empathy, not good at deciphering others' feelings or guessing their wishes/needs.
- practical in that he is down to earth, exists in the „here and now“ and is not given to follwing idealistic causes. not so practical in that he often allowed his passions to rule him.
- has a tendency to decide for others because he believes he knows best. may not inform them about the decision or does so post facto, when it's too late and nothing can be changed.