Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Socrates' Type

Educated guesses as to Socrates' type tend to say INTP, although this page
    http://www.celebritytypes.com/blog/c...ian-functions/
    has him as an ENTP:

"So Socrates was not only ENTP, he was also an antisocial bastard. Indeed, had Martin Luther King Jr. known this side of Socrates, it remains to be taken up anew whether he would ever have compared Socrates to Jesus Christ."

It's nice to see some good arguments for type being made. I just don't see the anti-social side of Socrates. He was against society as it stands (particularly the absolute democratic form of government), but not against society per se. I like the arguments showing that Socrates was an extravert; but as a social reformer, and not anti-social, I will have to go with ENFP.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think he was most certainly Ni dom.

Victor actually reminds me of a Socrates. Some sort of Ni/Fi thing. ?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I think he was most certainly Ni dom.

Victor actually reminds me of a Socrates. Some sort of Ni/Fi thing. ?
    The problem with typing Socrates is that he left behind no writings that survived, and mainly all we have to go on is Plato's description. And who knows how much of Plato's personality went into that description?

So I need to look at the historical Socrates, the hippie-esque social reformer.

Victor makes statements/declarations of truth, as he sees it. Socrates just asked questions, and seems to believe that he doesn't know anything. I don't think they're that similar, even if they both play the part of the "gadfly".

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

To Mal:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Plus how he died>I get a lone wolf feel from him. He was not afraid to not only stand against the masses for their cruel judgments, but he held firm in it even knowing it would result in his demise. A real zealot feel to it. And a ...... little too much pride. Which is why I get an Ni dom feel from him. He liked to nip at heels and stir things up. This smacks of ENTP, but I don't think ENTPs are so questionning and open-ended. They tend to not want to think outside the box, but rather understand every nuance of the box. Although I do think his questionning nature wasn't as innocent as it appeared to be; I think he knew where he was headed, but wanted to play with people. Which seems very Te/Fe to me.

?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Victor makes statements/declarations of truth, as he sees it. Socrates just asked questions, and seems to believe that he doesn't know anything. I don't think they're that similar, even if they both play the part of the "gadfly".
    Really? I think Victor asks questions with his statements. The same way Socrates really meant statements with his questions.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

To Mal:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Plus how he died>I get a lone wolf feel from him. He was not afraid to not only stand against the masses for their cruel judgments, but he held firm in it even knowing it would result in his demise. A real zealot feel to it. And a ...... little too much pride. Which is why I get an Ni dom feel from him. He liked to nip at heels and stir things up. This smacks of ENTP, but I don't think ENTPs are so questionning and open-ended. They tend to not want to think outside the box, but rather understand every nuance of the box. Although I do think his questionning nature wasn't as innocent as it appeared to be; I think he knew where he was headed, but wanted to play with people. Which seems very Te/Fe to me.

?
    Did Plato accurately characterize Socrates in his Dialogues?

Really? I think Victor asks questions with his statements. The same way Socrates really meant statements with his questions.
    I always get the impression that Victor is very confident in his perceptions. I only think Socrates was confident that he simply asked questions in the first place. He lived in a culture of extreme prejudice, reliance on tradition, mob mentality, etc.. He didn't seem to provide answers, but he thought one should take a step back. That the "unexamined life is not worth living". His philosophy just seemed more about that process, rather than any specific end.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

To Mal:

God it was so boring to read (the dialogues), but I just got this image of Socrates sitting in the middle of the street plying passers by with questions. And when they'd question him, he'd return their response with more questions, etc. With an occasional bit of enlightened statements thrown in, twisted around with altruistic irony. (as if he were smirking at people). And I've seen some documentaries about him. The rest I flesh out with my own intuition.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I always get the impression that Victor is very confident in his perceptions. I only think Socrates was confident that he simply asked questions in the first place. He lived in a culture of extreme prejudice, reliance on tradition, mob mentality, etc.. He didn't seem to provide answers, but he thought one should take a step back. That the "unexamined life is not worth living". His philosophy just seemed more about that process, rather than any specific end.
    I just don't think Socrates was as innocent as he appeared. Or wanted to appear?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com