Thread: Socrates' Type

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I just don't think Socrates was as innocent as he appeared. Or wanted to appear?
    Question Authority. Judges talk about justice but they know not what they talk about. But Socrates isn't claiming to know all about it either.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Question Authority. Judges talk about justice but they know not what they talk about. But Socrates isn't claiming to know all about it either.
    Questionning authority and going against the mainstream is very Ni dom. No?

And I mean innocent in a different way. I mean he wasn't as open-ended as he appeared. I think he knew where he was heading, and I think he led others there, regardless of appearing not to. I think he was very cunning.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

I just don't think Socrates was as innocent as he appeared. Or wanted to appear?
    I think he knew he had a leg up on people simply for his questions. I don't think he was leading anyone to do anymore than that for themselves.

Funnily, this was partly what he was accused of too. That he had some agenda, and was corrupting people's minds.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Questionning authority and going against the mainstream is very Ni dom. No?

And I mean innocent in a different way. I mean he wasn't as open-ended as he appeared. I think he knew where he was heading, and I think he led others there, regardless of appearing not to. I think he was very cunning.
    The Celebrity typing page on Socrates argues very convincingly that his purpose was focused externally, unlike the Ni-dom. But it missed the point that Socrates was focused externally on his interlocutors, and got his best arguments from them rather from himself.

But once again, we have to consider whether Socrates or Plato was trying to lead us somewhere. After all, Plato was the author.

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    But once again, we have to consider whether Socrates or Plato was trying to lead us somewhere. After all, Plato was the author.
    I don't think the character/person of Socrates was leading in any particular direction. Whether he was a figment of Plato's imagination is up for discussion, but I don't think he wrote him that way. He's presented more as a town fool who questions everything.

Plato OTOH offers a pretty extensive worldview on many facets of life. Rather than Socrates leaving things in the realm of inquiry, Plato is an idealist (not necessarily in the MBTI sense). Just the Republic alone shows his level of control-freakishness.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I think he knew he had a leg up on people simply for his questions. I don't think he was leading anyone to do anymore than that for themselves.

Funnily, this was partly what he was accused of too. That he had some agenda, and was corrupting people's minds.
    Where there's smoke...

I don't think he was corrupting people's minds. Just saying that to always, always be asking questions, implies you are so comfortable with the possible outcomes, you need not speak to it directly; it seems to me his mind had already contemplated the various possibilities, and likely settled on a few more likely ones, though I don't doubt he was always open to being wrong (Ni dom again). And his style was to not lead others, but 'let' them find the truth for themselves. I think he knew his truth (the truth), he just didn't show it.

To Mal: I don't know. I don't really know that it's that important.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't think the character/person of Socrates was leading in any particular direction. Whether he was a figment of Plato's imagination is up for discussion, but I don't think he wrote him that way. He's presented more as a town fool who questions everything.

Plato OTOH offers a pretty extensive worldview on many facets of life. Rather than Socrates leaving things in the realm of inquiry, Plato is an idealist (not necessarily in the MBTI sense). Just the Republic alone shows his level of control-freakishness.
    Socrates, at least, was leading toward a negative.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Five

It is told of Socrates that as a young man, while he was a soldier in the middle of a battle, he sat down to think, oblivious of his surroundings.

If true, then I'd say INTP.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Last I remember, Socrates was most likely an ENTP 7w8 > 4w3 > 8w7 sp/so ILE-ILE.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

For Socrates everything was negotiable and in an MBTI book in the ENTP description everything is negotiable so Socrates was ENTP or INTP and 7w8/6 and 5w6/4.