User Tag List

View Poll Results: Frank Herbert's Type?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

3 75.00%
  • INTJ

0 0%
  • OTHER

1 25.00%
First 234

Thread: Frank Herbert

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    If you didn't rush the entire post, then maybe I'm just not following your point. I don't see that obverting something has anything to do with these books.
    We're discussing the MBTI type of Frank Herbert. We were talking about the open-endedness of Dune. Open endedness can describe conclusions in-story or conclusions as far as a message that the author intended. I did not sense an obvert message, but more of an exploration of ideas. In this sense, the story could be considered open ended.

Paul's prescience and the handling of the structure of Dune, always hinting at branching paths, the intent to arrive at some destiny may lead to me to believe that Frank Herbert himself may have had Ni. But it's not conclusive.

Those are my points, if I have any.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    We're discussing the MBTI type of Frank Herbert. We were talking about the open-endedness of Dune. Open endedness can describe conclusions in-story or conclusions as far as a message that the author intended. I did not sense an obvert message, but more of an exploration of ideas. In this sense, the story could be considered open ended.

Paul's prescience and the handling of the structure of Dune, always hinting at branching paths, the intent to arrive at some destiny may lead to me to believe that Frank Herbert himself may have had Ni. But it's not conclusive.

Those are my points, if I have any.
    "Exploration of ideas" is INTJ on the face of it.

I didn't arrive at Herbert's type by exploring the novels. In the OP I referenced the wikipedia article on Frank Herbert. It was this quote:

I think science fiction does help, and it points in very interesting directions. It points in relativistic directions. It says that we have the imagination for these other opportunities, these other choices. We tend to tie ourselves down to limited choices. We say, "Well, the only answer is...." or, "If you would just. . . ." Whatever follows these two statements narrows the choices right there. It gets the vision right down close to the ground so that you don't see anything happening outside. Humans tend not to see over a long range. Now we are required, in these generations, to have a longer range view of what we inflict on the world around us. This is where, I think, science fiction is helping. I don't think that the mere writing of such a book as Brave New World or 1984 prevents those things which are portrayed in those books from happening. But I do think they alert us to that possibility and make that possibility less likely. They make us aware that we may be going in that direction.
    Edit - I almost forgot about this quote from the same wiki article: "Frank Herbert carefully refrained from offering his readers formulaic answers to many of the questions he explored." That is also INTJ.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”