• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

There Will Be Blood

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Just finished watching this crazy movie. Daniel Plainview is a force in himself. I think he's an INTJ 8w7. His main foe in the film, Eli Sunday, vibes as a ESFJ 2w3.

Anyone agree/disagree?

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Just finished watching this crazy movie. Daniel Plainview is a force in himself. I think he's an INTJ 8w7. His main foe in the film, Eli Sunday, vibes as a ESFJ 2w3.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Yeah, I think Plainview seems pretty definite INTJ, one highlighting the negative aspects of that type (no, they aren't all like Plainview, but I've known some who are, and they tend to be the ones who most vehemently defend themselves and people like themselves as awesome or, though they don't explicitly say this, superior. In fact, I expect the first person to call Plainview something else will likely be a proud INTJ). Sunday might be an ESFJ, not that he's much better. I haven't seen the movie in a year or two (I do love this film though), so I'm not certain about Sunday. Plainview is total unhealthy INTJ, though.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
great film has a bit too much dialogue for my taste but still worth it. The ending made me "LOL".

KDude

Maybe INTJ is right. Although I wonder why an INTJ would be so vicious about milkshakes.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Maybe INTJ is right. Although I wonder why an INTJ would be so vicious about milkshakes.
I think at that point he had completely lost it and just went on a random stream-of-consciousness diatribe about his power as an oilman.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

To be fair, there wasn't any literal milkshake involved.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I Love this film! :yes:

Daniel Plainview: INTJ 8w7
Eli Sunday: ESFJ 3w2
HW: IXFP 9w1
Henry: ISTP 9w8

Last edited:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Yeah, I think Plainview seems pretty definite INTJ, one highlighting the negative aspects of that type (no, they aren't all like Plainview, but I've known some who are, and they tend to be the ones who most vehemently defend themselves and people like themselves as awesome or, though they don't explicitly say this, superior. In fact, I expect the first person to call Plainview something else will likely be a proud INTJ). Sunday might be an ESFJ, not that he's much better. I haven't seen the movie in a year or two (I do love this film though), so I'm not certain about Sunday. Plainview is total unhealthy INTJ, though.

I don't see Daniel plainview as a very negative person like most people. IMO he progressively become more and more cynical as he become more greedy, that's what makes the movie so great. There is alot of greatness and drive in Daniel, he started out as a very generous person when he adopted the young boy.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
great film has a bit too much dialogue for my taste but still worth it.

Agreed, especially those first 15 minutes. Nobody could keep their mouth shut. It was beyond annoying.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't see Daniel plainview as a very negative person like most people. IMO he progressively become more and more cynical as he become more greedy, that's what makes the movie so great. There is alot of greatness and drive in Daniel, he started out as a very generous person when he adopted the young boy.

Yeah. I always thought at the end, when he has that translated fallout with his son, he was really just trying to hurt him and get him out of his life forever. I think he really was supposed to sympathetic initially (hard worker, busted leg, small businessman, child rescuer), and then just becomes more and more evil as the movie goes on. By halfway through the movie, he is clearly a pretty terrible person and an obvious villain. Then again, so is Eli.

They both see what they want, go for it, and it slowly destroys them. Normally, success is not so destructive. Or is it?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just finished watching this crazy movie.

Indeed, it is a jaw-dropper.
Each time I've seen it I want to go and buy a mountain bike. :shock:

Daniel Plainview is a force in himself.

Of this you are correct, although I do not feel that aspect of his nature has to do with his MBTI type.
I think that amount of greed, wealth, and power can forge even the most well intended of simple people into Machiavellian overlords.
All humans have this capacity - IMHO.

I think he's an INTJ 8w7.

I usually don't guess alot in threads like this, but here I will.
I say ISTJ 8w7.
I agree with you 87.5%
The only reason I say "S" over "N" is because he has extreme mastery of the details requisite to locate the petroleum, building a primoridal trench and transport system to get it to market, and then run the empir with guardian/"SJ" like efficiency and authority.
My brother is an INTJ.
He can program enterprise databases and information systems like a motherfucker, but he can't even keep his household in order.

His main foe in the film, Eli Sunday, vibes as a ESFJ 2w3.

Eli Sunday is fucking douchebag.
I was overjoyed to see him get the piss slapped out of him.
His murder at the end of the film was horrid, and I did not appreciate that.
But, he opened a can of whoop-ass on Daniel Plainview by beating him down in the church in front of "the flock" - and in so doing took away Plainview's honor and dignity in many ways.
Plainview beat the snot out of Eli in a fairly isolated arena as compared to the slapping in the church.

It's one thing to kick a man's ass because he crossed a line that he knew damn well he should not have crossed; it's another to physically punish him IN PUBLIC with clandestine shackles tied around his wrists for the sake of one's EGO.

Eli would have NEVER fucked with Plainview so far as a physical, violent confrontation were concerned if he had no "power" over Plainview as he did, and that is abuse of power, and essentially holding Plainview ransom, so if Eli accidentally fell down into an oil well and I were near it when it happened, might even piss down the well onto Eli as I extended him a rope to pull himself out.

I cannot stand sissies who try to manipulate and control others.
Such people disgust me.

Anyone agree/disagree?

My thoughts are above.
I like your analysis, BTW.

:solidarity:

-Alex

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I see Daniel Plainview as an unhealthy ENTJ, much like Emperor Palpatine.

Both Plainview and Eli were pricks. I'm surprised how many people don't get that. They assume one has to be a good guy, and the other one has to be a bad guy. But neither of them were good people.