User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Bridesmaids

  1. #11
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    This is a misogynistic film, and it tried to infect me.
    It was written by a woman. I didn't get a vibe that it thinks women are or should be considered less than men. Granted, I could be forgetting something. I think I saw it back in May.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  2. #12
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Yeah, I'm pretty hypersensitive to misogyny/latent sexism in films/tv shows, and I didn't pick up on anything wrong with this film. I was actually pleasantly surprised.

    It passes the Bechdel test with flying colors! And the relationships between the women didn't descend into stereotypes (i.e., fighting over men), which I greatly appreciated.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  3. #13
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Oh, you literal-minded people. It portrays some ridiculously superficial women doing stupid things as if that were how women are and what women do in the US when one of them is about to get married. Yes, I got that it is a comedy.

  4. #14
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    I have to admit, it's even more uncomfortable for me to watch women get in Apatow style situations. Which, of course, makes it even funnier.

  5. #15
    Anew Leaf
    Guest

    Default

    I though Annie was ISFP.
    Nathan seemed very ISFJ.
    Helen was ESFJ

  6. #16
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Oh, you literal-minded people. It portrays some ridiculously superficial women doing stupid things as if that were how women are and what women do in the US when one of them is about to get married. Yes, I got that it is a comedy.
    Just how does any of that equal misogyny? You say it like it's self-evident. Enlighten us with your abstract thinking.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  7. #17
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Just how does any of that equal misogyny? You say it like it's self-evident. Enlighten us with your abstract thinking.
    It is not misogynistic because it is a comedy, but the portrayal could be seen as resulting from a mindset that does see women as being the way they are portrayed in the film. My whole post was not to be taken literally but as a way so say something like: Wow, what a bunch of ridiculously superficial women, seemingly representing women in the US.

  8. #18
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It is not misogynistic because it is a comedy, but the portrayal could be seen as resulting from a mindset that does see women as being the way they are portrayed in the film. My whole post was not to be taken literally but as a way so say something like: Wow, what a bunch of ridiculously superficial women, seemingly representing women in the US.
    So what you're saying is - correct me if I'm wrong - that you didn't find the characters to be favorably portrayed, therefore it's not doing US women any favors, therefore it's a misogynistic film?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  9. #19
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I though Annie was ISFP.
    Nathan seemed very ISFJ.
    Helen was ESFJ
    Totally agree. I absolutely saw her as very ISFP.

    Lilian: ESFJ
    Helen: ENFJ
    Megan: EST fo sho. "Literally"
    Annie's mom: INFJ (prob e4.. artistic streak and going to AA without ever having a drink lol)
    Rita: ESTJ
    Nathan: ISFJ (prob e6 defense mechanism was projection)

    I never considered this film to be misogynistic. The idea was to create charactors and obstacles that many women can relate to, exaggerated into comedy. Sure it could be seen as silly, but this isn't because of the female element. This is because the workings of human nature are often silly, being fixated on petty dealings, jealousy, vengence, and competition.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  10. #20
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    So what you're saying is - correct me if I'm wrong - that you didn't find the characters to be favorably portrayed, therefore it's not doing US women any favors, therefore it's a misogynistic film?
    The films satirizes the whole nonsense and tohubohu that seems to be part of getting married in the US. In the process of so doing, the characters are portrayed as what I consider to be clowns. Of course that it part of the satire, but because that level of fuss is strange to me, perhaps stranger than to people who are familiar with such marriages, I perceived their portrayal as even more demeaning as others may do. Maybe women are like that. Maybe the filmmakers despise them for it. Anyway, since it shows women in a way that I was not previously acquainted with, the film had the potential of giving women a bad name. In the latter sense it could be considered misogynistic.

Similar Threads

  1. Bridesmaids
    By Lightyear in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO