• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of your favorite artists

á´…eparted

passages
Sadly I can't participate. It sort of works out that many of my favorite bands are rather secretive/reclusive and do not enjoy giving interviews, or letting go of their bands image (thus hard to gauge who they are). I feel like I could speculate, but with ground that weak to base it off of I don't feel confidant with anything I could come up with.

EDIT:
Ok I think I can do my favorite band

Jonna Lee (iamamiwhoami) - INFJ 4w5

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Off the top of my head and from what I can remember from interviews:

Ariana Grande: ESFJ 3w2 so/sp
Beyonce: ISFJ 9w8 so/sx
Brendon Urie (Panic! At the Disco): ENTP 7w6 sx/so
Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine): ENFP ?w? ??/??
Kelly Clarkson: ESFP 6w7 so/sx

:)

Made changes, I need to watch more of Florence. :thinking:

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think she's most definitely an sx dom. Her music is highly centered around connection either with a significant other or intense experience, as well as her self described immersion in being a musician, nothing else. The question I have is if she's sx/so or sx/sp. I also thought sexual 9w1 was possible bc of her focus on escape and merging to ideal holy love.

If she's a 4, I have a hard time seeing sx-dom based on her demeanor in the few interviews I've read/watched. (But I think she's more likely sx-second than sx-last.) In person, she seems to lack the obvious fiery streak that descriptions of Sexual Fours emphasize (Tori Amos and Fiona Apple come to mind as good examples of sx 4s); instead it seems like her inner intensity is kept under the surface more, and is far more about sadness than anger. Also, I've noticed that sx 4 musicians' songs about romantic relationships tend to express anger or even hatred almost as often as they express love and adoration, and I don't see much of that anger in Lana's music (even when she's singing about toxic relationships where the woman is repeatedly hurt). I also think that most 4s highly value passion, romantic love and connection, no matter their stacking.

When I think of a Sexual Four's reaction to being hurt, I think of something like "Regret" by Fiona Apple - a howling rage:

But if she's any type other than 4, then sx-dom seems likely.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sadly I can't participate. It sort of works out that many of my favorite bands are rather secretive/reclusive and do not enjoy giving interviews, or letting go of their bands image (thus hard to gauge who they are). I feel like I could speculate, but with ground that weak to base it off of I don't feel confidant with anything I could come up with.

EDIT:
Ok I think I can do my favorite band

Jonna Lee (iamamiwhoami) - INFJ 4w5

oh interesting! why do you see her as INFJ rather than INFP?

- - - Updated - - -

Billy Corgan - INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
Morrissey - INFJ 4w3 so/sp
Johnny Marr - 6w7? 7w8? 9w1?
Fyodor Dostoevsky - INFJ 4w5 sp/so
Jonny Greenwood - INxx 5w4 sp/sx (?)
Joakim Berg: INFx 3w4 or 4w3 sx/sp or so/sx
Rivers Cuomo - INTP 5w6 sx/sp

Feel free to correct me.

uhh morrissey is a classic INFP and billy corgan seems far more INFP to me.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
authors/poets/playwrights:
Ian McEwan - INFJ 5w4 sp/so
Franz Kafka - INFJ 5w4-4w5-1w9 sx/sp
Kate Chopin - INFP 4w5
Virginia Woolf - INFJ 4w5 so/sp
Ursula Hegi - INFJ, certainly INFx at least
William Shakespeare - INfP 4w5 (heavy wing)
George Orwell - INTJ? 6w5
Aldous Huxley - INTJ 5w6? 6w5?
Graham Greene - not sure. I've seen him typed as INFJ
Tony Kushner - INFJ
Sylvia Plath - INFJ 4w5 sx/sp
Octavio Solis - NF, probably 4w5

comedians:
Bill Hicks - ENTP cp6w5 sx/so
George Carlin - ENTP cp6 or 8w7, probably so/sp
Russell Brand - ENFP 7w8?-4w3-8 sx/so

filmmakers and screenwriters:
Alan Ball - INfJ 5w4. INtP is possible too.
Joss Whedon - ENFP 6w7
Francis Ford Coppola - ENTP 7w8
Sofia Coppola - INFJ 9w1-4w3-? sp/sx
Alfonso Cuaron - not sure; I've heard INFP
Guillermo Del Toro - INFx 4 or 9w1
Takashi Miike - INTx or ISTP

actors:
Johnny Depp - INFP 4w5 sx/sp
Kate Winslet - ENFJ 4w3 so/sx
James Woods - ENTP 7w8
Michelle Williams - INFP 9?
Daniel Day-Lewis - INfP 5w4

musicians:
Tori Amos - iNFP 4w3-7w6-8w9 sx/so
Fiona Apple - INFP 4w5-6w7-8w9 sx/sp
Thom Yorke - INfJ 5w4-4w3-1w9 sp/sx
Jonny Greenwood - INxP 5w6 or 9w1
Billy Corgan - iNFJ 3w4 or 4w3
Kurt Cobain - INFP 5w4-4w3-8w7 sx/sp
Bjork - IsFP 9w1-4w3-7w6 sx/sp
Kate Bush - INFP 4w3-9w1-(6/7) so/sx
Bob Dylan - IsFP 4w5 sx/sp (I usually see him listed as sx/so though)
Marilyn Manson - xNTP 4w5 so/sp
Trent Reznor - INTJ 5w4 sx/sp
Jack White - INFJ 1w9-4w5-6 sx/sp
Paul McCartney - ESFP, 3w2 probably
John Lennon - eNTP 5w4-8w7-4w3 sx/so
George Harrison - INFJ, I've seen 1w9 sp/sx
Michael Gira - Se & Ni user

err i think you've mistyped a LOT of INFPs as INFJs. just because someone is successful and disciplined doesn't mean they're a J. sofia coppola is the most INFP person there is---super dreamy and in her own world. have you watched Virgin Suicides? only an INFP could make that.

virginia woolf is a classic INFP. have you read To the Lighthouse? just so dreamy and abstract and quintessentially INFP. all of her novels are very Fi.

á´…eparted

passages
oh interesting! why do you see her as INFJ rather than INFP

One of the biggest indicators imo is her intention as an artist; she has a vision/goal that she wants to convey to the world. A story she wants others to share in, feel, and be a part of. She has stated so in her brief interviews. Her intent and drive seems to be driven by wanting to gather everyone around a common goal together, and is first driven by a long term vision that develops over time. She strikes me as quite Ni/Fe.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

because he's a total misanthrope, his songs are all about him feeling depressed and no one wanting him, and he's a hardcore vegan (Fi values) who fights with anyone who disagrees. he's very very melancholic + deep feeling in an Fi way. he's hopeful in his songs but the hope is invariably crushed.
he says it like it is; none of that Fe being polite stuff. he acts exactly how he feels in front of everyone (fi). no social faces.
where the heck do you see any Ti or Fe in him?

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
because he's a total misanthrope
Actually INFJ is known for being more misanthropic than INFP, at least outspokenly like this. They will commonly share the same issues and feel about these as strongly, but INFJ externalize and hate the world (Fe projection), whereas INFP internalize and hate themselves.

his songs are all about him feeling depressed and no one wanting him
It's an image-thing, also, you can't really bind that to type. Type has nothing to do with emotional suffering, and if you must bind this to type, it's xxFx.

and he's a hardcore vegan (Fi values)
This can't be bound to type either, my INTP father is a vegan... also, Morrissey's a vegetarian, not vegan.

who fights with anyone who disagrees.
He's a 1w9-fixed Social 4, of course he does.

he's very very melancholic
You could say this has more to do with him being a 4, I don't really find him that melancholic though, not in interviews. He's just a little reserved.

deep feeling in an Fi way.
Mind explaining this further?

he says it like it is; none of that Fe being polite stuff. he acts exactly how he feels in front of everyone (fi). no social faces.
He is quite image-oriented, Fe has more to do with creating a certain emotional dynamic in others, rather than being polite or whatever the bullshit stereotype is. Again, he's a 4.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
ec5dy0t.png
I had Yukio Mishima pegged as a INFJ. Definitely a 4, maybe with the 3-wing.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Regarding art itself...

Certain movements in art (music at least) seem to be associated with Enneatypes. I would draw on the observation that while Romanticism was in vogue, almost all the leading composers were 4s, but in the preceding Classical Period they were 7s and 6s. The Baroque and Modernist movements seem 5w6 and 5w4 ish. Nowadays, the typical contemporary musician is a 7. I am confident that something similar must exist in visual arts, as well.

These are of course generalisations. But I wonder whether the aesthetics of certain movements appeal more to people of a particular type.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

If she's a 4, I have a hard time seeing sx-dom based on her demeanor in the few interviews I've read/watched. (But I think she's more likely sx-second than sx-last.) In person, she seems to lack the obvious fiery streak that descriptions of Sexual Fours emphasize (Tori Amos and Fiona Apple come to mind as good examples of sx 4s); instead it seems like her inner intensity is kept under the surface more, and is far more about sadness than anger. Also, I've noticed that sx 4 musicians' songs about romantic relationships tend to express anger or even hatred almost as often as they express love and adoration, and I don't see much of that anger in Lana's music (even when she's singing about toxic relationships where the woman is repeatedly hurt). I also think that most 4s highly value passion, romantic love and connection, no matter their stacking.

When I think of a Sexual Four's reaction to being hurt, I think of something like "Regret" by Fiona Apple - a howling rage:

But if she's any type other than 4, then sx-dom seems likely.

After seeing her live I am even more convinced that she's a Sexual 9. Her show is like an intimate group experience, it's highly interactive and mergey, she WANTS the fans to sing with her, she makes intense eye contact, hugs and kisses people and walks down into the audience repeatedly. It put me in mind a little of the Grateful Dead or something, almost bordering on the cult-y but in a very life affirming love vibe way. Her holy idea is clearly love and she gives the intimate feel of a Sexual type, it would serve to explain the feelings that fans get, almost a personal relationship to her, and she gets off on it, she tells her fans she loves them too and she knows they're on her level. But she has that kind of subdued passive 9 quality in her body language, even though she is emitting this intense Sexual energy. I mean Sexual in the truly sexual but also in the sense of psychological merging.

Also I think the way her performance bores people who are not fans is also pretty indicative of her being a 9. I was close to a 9 who called himself boring, almost like 9s are filled by an impersonal oneness with others, and if you don't happen to merge with them as an individual, they can seem boring on the surface, like a vase waiting to be filled when they are "empty."She is also surprisingly tolerant and welcoming of the intensity and borderline aggression of some of her fans, and 9s do tend to get offer a kind of tolerant or soft place for pushier people. She claimed in more than one interview to be attracted to dominant people and to like a feeling of love that borders on the aggressive.

I think she's a very evolved 9, though she is not at the highest level like a spiritual leader, she's healthy to mid range. I think she was less healthy or less evolved when she was younger which is why she had such a hard time on stage earlier on, it was that meekness or passivity in her stage presence if you didn't appreciate what she was sending out on another level. You also mentioned the lack of anger in her songs even about bad relationships, and 9s tend to deny anger or implode.

I don't think the feelings of intimacy and oneness she creates in her music and at her shows would be possible if she weren't a SX dom, it also explains how she manages to polarize people while appearing relatively passive, accepting and forgiving as a 9. She is apparently an obsessive person and enjoys or tolerates or even silently enables obsession with her. Apparently she got a restraining order on one fan, but only because he became violent towards other fans at a show.

I have seen how people react to me sometimes online as a fan, and trust me I am extremely tame compared to gay sixteen year old boys, the zealots in her fan group actually has caused me to wonder about her own past in a cult, and techniques she may have subconsciously picked up there. I also understand why some people say she is INFJ because of her messianic quality. But she embraces Se she doesn't reject it, I still think ISFP.

Last edited:

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A

After seeing her live I am even more convinced that she's a Sexual 9. Her show is like an intimate group experience, it's highly interactive and mergey, she WANTS the fans to sing with her, she makes intense eye contact, hugs and kisses people and walks down into the audience repeatedly. It put me in mind a little of the Grateful Dead or something, almost bordering on the cult-y but in a very life affirming love vibe way. Her holy idea is clearly love and she gives the intimate feel of a Sexual type, it would serve to explain the feelings that fans get, almost a personal relationship to her, and she gets off on it, she tells her fans she loves them too and she knows they're on her level. But she has that kind of subdued passive 9 quality in her body language, even though she is emitting this intense Sexual energy. I mean Sexual in the truly sexual but also in the sense of psychological merging.

Also I think the way her performance bores people who are not fans is also pretty indicative of her being a 9. I was close to a 9 who called himself boring, almost like 9s are filled by an impersonal oneness with others, and if you don't happen to merge with them as an individual, they can seem boring on the surface, like a vase waiting to be filled when they are "empty."She is also surprisingly tolerant and welcoming of the intensity and borderline aggression of some of her fans, and 9s do tend to get offer a kind of tolerant or soft place for pushier people. She claimed in more than one interview to be attracted to dominant people and to like a feeling of love that borders on the aggressive.

I think she's a very evolved 9, though she is not at the highest level like a spiritual leader, she's healthy to mid range. I think she was less healthy or less evolved when she was younger which is why she had such a hard time on stage earlier on, it was that meekness or passivity in her stage presence if you didn't appreciate what she was sending out on another level. You also mentioned the lack of anger in her songs even about bad relationships, and 9s tend to deny anger or implode.

I don't think the feelings of intimacy and oneness she creates in her music and at her shows would be possible if she weren't a SX dom, it also explains how she manages to polarize people while appearing relatively passive, accepting and forgiving as a 9. She is apparently an obsessive person and enjoys or tolerates or even silently enables obsession with her. Apparently she got a restraining order on one fan, but only because he became violent towards other fans at a show.

I have seen how people react to me sometimes online as a fan, and trust me I am extremely tame compared to gay sixteen year old boys, the zealots in her fan group actually has caused me to wonder about her own past in a cult, and techniques she may have subconsciously picked up there. I also understand why some people say she is INFJ because of her messianic quality. But she embraces Se she doesn't reject it, I still think ISFP.

^_^

I think it is interesting that you find her to be a 9. People on PerC were saying that she IS NOT a core 4, but then SK( @Southerned Kross ...please don't be mad at me for summoning you... I want to know your opinion, it is okay if you do not share) said she is really 4.

I like the idea that she could very much be a 9. It does make sense considering what she sings about. When I first heard of her I thought she was a 3w4 and I thought she would be a stuck up jerk... but then I see videos and she seems sssssooo sweet; I think I want to marry her. I very much relate to her "image". She MIGHT be the only famous person I feel I can relate to, actually.

...I would say more... but I am feeling tongue-tied right now.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^_^

I think it is interesting that you find her to be a 9. People on PerC were saying that she IS NOT a core 4, but then SK( @So utherned Kross ...please don't be mad at me for. sum moning you... I want to know your opinion, it is okay if you do not share) said she is really 4.

I like the idea that she could very much be a 9. It does make sense considering what she sings about. When I first heard of her I thought she was a 3w4 and I thought she would be a stuck up jerk... but then I see videos and she seems sssssooo sweet; I think I want to marry her. I very much relate to her "image". She MIGHT be the only famous person I feel I can relate to, actually.

...I would say more... but I am feeling tongue-tied right now.

She's definitely not a 3. I don't know if you know what she was like before, but look up the Sirens album under her pseudonym May Jailer. Or search YouTube for a live performance of Trash (Miss America) by Lizzy Grant. I get super huffy about Lana because I am a hard core fan, and most people who attempt to type her don't know very much about her at all. 9 integrates at 3. And she became more successful when taking on healthy 3 traits. There's a total amateur on PerC who thinks she's a 2 based solely on the Ride video. You can not type an artist based on one video or radio play. People don't know what they're talking about half the time. It makes a mockery of type theory. I already know that SK thinks she's a 4 and yeah it is probably her heart fix. 4 is the only other realistic type for Elizabeth Grant.

velveteen

Senior citizen
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kevin Shields – INFP

Bilinda Butcher – ISFP or INFJ

Anton Newcombe – INTP

Brett Anderson – ISFP

Morrissey – INFJ

Stephen Pastel – INFP

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nelly Furtado (I'm Like a Bird, Promiscuous) - ENFP 7w6-4w3-(9w8?) sx/so. I see her typed as 4w3 quite a bit, but I don't see it as her core type at all going by the themes of her music and the few interviews I've watched.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I keep seeing people think Marilyn Manson is INFJ. I definitely agree he is on the Ti/Fe axis but I always thought NTP because his application of Fe is intentionally provocative and rebellious, but still serving a greater social message to his art; most recently he admitted to respecting Lana del Rey and being her friend, but finding her insurmountably difficult to work with, that it made him "tired"...to me this sounds like an NTP/SFP clash, even if they had similar interaction styles their opposing functions would make their creative processes conflict, and I can see Fi making a Ti type tired, because Ti makes me tired. It's definitely an argument against her being INFJ because then they'd compliment one another better.

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Mark Kozelek - ISFP 4w5 sx/sp