• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Comedians

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
This just in: Laughter is a drug. Cultivated throughout the world; this narcotic is frequently mixed into a composite with other psychotropics, such as marijuana, cocaine, opium and etc. The results? One word: Distorted. Users, or Jolly Fucks as they are often called, have reported a high frequency in physical dependency - on average users laugh 18 times a day. The side-effects are detrimental: increased pulse & blood pressure, uncontrollable bodily convulsion - and in extreme cases - abdominal pains. However, the stimuli of the endorphin-influenced europhic moments dryly denoted by habitual users as "Classic" or "You had to be there" distracts them from these effects. The proponents for the optimization of the uncontrolled substance often gather on beaches, rooms or theater stages and adorn themselves in clothing- reminiscent of a Bollywood costume departments or San Francisco in the 1960s - and recall their existence for inspiration in their protesting abuse of the stimulant. They are vilified as hippie assholes. However, they claim the experience is spiritual, calling it Laughter Yoga. The media has not help to deter the public following neither. Old & young engage in the abuse. One in particular is a Doug Collins - he is to laugh what Amy Winehouse is to cocaine-heroin-ecstasy-and-the-horse tranquilliser - who some in the jolly fuck community contest that he has added nitrous oxide to his special strain. The media has also celebrated the dealers. In comics, there is the modern cinematic icon The Joker. In news - there is the NY Times. However, what the streets and I like to call these dealers are...

The Comedians*

• NT:
    Dry·Semantical·Dark·Absurd·Critical·Satirical·Sarcastic

You want to hear a dead baby jokes followed suit by logical critiques of the modern sociopolitical structure? Then these are the guys (and gals) for you. They are the intellects; the socially scientific and philosophical deconstructionist whom partake in comedy to observe, provoke and then laugh inside. The original trolls. Meanwhile, outside, the audience cringes: cringe humor. Which reminds me, another thing they're good at: awkward pauses. NT comedians are often adept and talented at awkward pauses. These offbeat opinionated nerds aren't attuned to timing, but dry wit, nonchalance, and incendiary commentary. They aren't cute (for the most part). They are realist. And surrealist. Never above flatulence, fecal or urinary jokes. See, humor is the device for their message. These comedians aren't sparse - except in personal anecdotes or exposes - that's not their shtick. Their life isn't the riot - its their thoughts (see: Bill Maher's New Rules, Dennis Miller Rants & Larry David's Keys to Happiness) and the laugh is because they are truthful, sensible and articulate enough to demonstrate their intelligence, undermine convention, while poking fun. And we can't. Why? Because half the time the butt of the joke is us.

Stings, don't it? Just how I like it.

Spotlight:ENTP
    Gadflies are what most ENTPs are in their youth: non-conforming and just discovering their gift for the gab. Some keep pursuing this gift and become one of the most needed kind of citizen in society today: the satirist. Although ENTP humor may show a tendency for the random, or the surreal, that is simply due to a lack of application. Combine this humor with the ENTP insight and intelligence, and you have a devastating combination: a non-conformist with a bite, that won't get off your back. Gadfly ENTPs are the ultimate truth-sayers.
  • NF:
    ·Absurd·Nonsensism
  • SP:
  • SJ:

You said:
INFJ
Stephen Colbert
Gilda Radner
Maria Bamford

INTJ
Dennis Miller
Norm MacDonald
Demetri Martin

INTP
Larry David
Tina Fey
Seth McFarlane
Jeaneane Garofalo
Mike Judge
Brian Posehn
Jessi Klein
Steven Wright
Jimmy Carr

INFP
Zach Galifanakis
Andy Kaufman
Dave Chappelle
Richard Pryor
David Cross

ENFJ
David Sedaris
Steve Carrell
Sebastian Maniscalco
Ben Stiller

ENTJ
Jim Carrey
Steve Martin
Phil Hartman
Jim Gaffigan
Michael Ian Black
Bill Maher
Whoopi Goldberg
Charlie Murphy

ENFP
Lewis Black
Gene Wilder
Robin Williams
Craig Ferguson
Russel Peter

ENTP
Bill Murray
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Sasha Baron Cohen
Jon Stewart
Eddie Izzard
Conan O'Brien
Katt Williams
Ricky Gervais
Sarah Silverman
Lenny Bruce
David Spade
Daniel Tosh

ESTJ
Cedric the Entertainer
John Candy
David Letterman
Vince Vaughn
Ahmed Ahmed
Jeff Foxworthy
Corey Holcomb

ESFJ
Jerry Lewis
Groucho Marx
Bill Cosby
Eddie Murphy
Drew Carey
Don Glover
Kevin Hart
Natasha Leggero

ESFP
Chris Farley
Martin Lawrence
Pauly Shore
Will Ferrell
Jamie Foxx
Tracy Morgan
Jack Black
Darren Carter
Mike Epps
Dane Cook
Gabriel Iglesias

ESTP

Dennis Leary
Will Arnett
Tim Allen
Joe Rogan
Jimmy Kimmel
Andrew Dice Clay
Roesanne Arnold
Chelsea Handler
Bret Ernst
Red Foxx
Rodney Dangerfield

ISFP
Adam Sandler
Damon Wayans
Mitch Hedberg
John Caparulo

ISFJ
D.L. Hugley

ISTP
Woody Allen
Jay Leno
Ray Romano
Patton Oswalt
Kyle Kinane
Charles Bukowski

ISTJ
Jerry Seinfield
Johnny Carson
Dov Davidoff

----
XXXX
Abbott and Costello

Last edited:

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I procrastinated and didn't finish the descriptions. Eventually, I plan to come back, finish, then refine the work, but eh - I'm busy. Things to do, people to un-see - you know.

Note: Indicate inconclusive data.

KDude

I think Izzard, Baron Cohen, and Sarah Silverman are possible ENJs actually. Not ENTP.

uncommonentity

Any lead on what type Aziz Ansari is?

I'd like to see Jim Carrey get re-typed.

"It's hard for anybody who's been with me not to feel starved for affection when I'm making love to my ideas. Maybe it's not meant for me to settle down and be married."

"I'm so wrapped up in my work that it's often impossible to consider other things in my life. My marriage ended in divorce because of this, my relationship with Holly has suffered by this."

"I feel like I want to take care of everyone and I also feel this terrible guilt if I am unable to. And I have felt this way ever since all this success started."

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think Bill Hicks is ENTP. In his act his Fi spews out all over the place. ENFP.

Komakino

I don't think Bill Hicks is ENTP. In his act his Fi spews out all over the place. ENFP.
Yes, and he was far more introverted than his performance style would suggest. Probably ENFP, possibly INFP.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I'd like to see Jim Carrey get re-typed.

"It's hard for anybody who's been with me not to feel starved for affection when I'm making love to my ideas. Maybe it's not meant for me to settle down and be married."

"I'm so wrapped up in my work that it's often impossible to consider other things in my life. My marriage ended in divorce because of this, my relationship with Holly has suffered by this."

"I feel like I want to take care of everyone and I also feel this terrible guilt if I am unable to. And I have felt this way ever since all this success started."

Jim Carrey -> ENTP.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoopi Goldberg is ENFP, not ENTJ.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't see Brian Posehn as INTP. ISTP.

Also, Patton Oswalt and Kyle Kinane aren't ISTPs. Their comedic styling is often heavily abstract and fully removed from reality. I might go ENTP for Oswalt, probably INTP for Kinane (though I could see some INFP arguments).

Allen could be ISTP, but I'm not sure. I could see a few different possibilities here.

Anthony Jeselnik is a very funny ESTP (I think).

Sarah Silverman is also ESTP, not ENTP, in my opinion. Her comedy is crazy S to me.

I think Tina Fey's character on 30 Rock might be more INTP, but I see the real her a little more as INTJ.

Aziz Ansari... definitely E, definitely TP, don't know about S or N. ExTP.

Also, some new additions:

Louis CK: INxP

Paul F Tompkins: ENTP

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Johnny Carson is ISFP.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Also new: Eugene Mirman. My guess would be INTP.
Doug Benson: ESTP probably.
Scott Aukerman (host of Comedy Bang Bang): ExTP. ENTJ also possible.
Amy Poehler: I'd definitely say ENFP

Last edited:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
It seems to me like a very high proportion of sports commentators are ESTP. Don Cherry would be a prime example.

I also think Adam Corolla (former radio comedian, now host of "That Car Show") is ESTP.

Thoughts?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Louis CK?
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81M3g3zjXc"]Single People[/YOUTUBE]

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, and he was far more introverted than his performance style would suggest. Probably ENFP, possibly INFP.
I think he was an ENFP 4w5 sx/so, which would add a bit more introverted flavour to an extraverted personality.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Louis CK?

I mentioned him earlier in this thread, and there is another thread on him, but most people agree on INxP. Some debate on the F and T. His character in his show seems a bit more F than Louis seems in interviews, talk show appearances and his stand-up to me. But in terms of both that character and real life, I think good arguments can be made for both INFP and INTP.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

This is true of a lot of comedians. Performance almost always comes off as E by the very nature of it, and if you are performing as yourself then people assume that that is just how you are all the time. But a lot of standup is also stuff a lot of folks see as very I: observation, writing (by yourself), rewriting, rehearsing. As an I who has done stand-up several times, I find the experience rather different from a normal social interaction, because there is no real interaction: I speak, but they do not, and I know what I'm going to say beforehand anyways.

This can be really tricky, especially with comedians. People label comedians E probably a little bit too much, but have no troubles labelling actors or musicians I even though they also perform. But the comedian does something similar to the actor in that they often play a slightly different version of themselves, even if it is subtle, or are simply putting on a show, not connecting individually with the audience. And they also forget that the part with the audience is only one part, only a few hours a week, of being a comedian. Carlin supposedly spent 3-4 hours a day alone in a room writing and practicing, for example.

I listen to a lot of comedic interview podcasts like WTF with Marc Maron or The Nerdist and others, which can often gives me a better understanding of who a comedian is as a person than even their routines do, especially in determining the I/E difference.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dennis Miller - ISTJ maybe
Jim Carey - ENFP
Michael Ian Black - ENTP
Eddie Izzard - ENFP
Conan O'Brien - eNFP, he's sooo sensitive!!!!
Craig Ferguson - ENFJ
Bill Murray - INTP
Vince Vaughn - ESTP
Woody Allen - INTP
Charles Bukowski - ISFP

I'm with You on Goldberg - good call! If not ENTJ, then ESTJ.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
bill murray is an entp

Based on? The guy doesn't even work with an agent. He just takes calls on a machine and listens to them later. He's unmarried, and when he does show up in public, it's almost always on his own. He even has a place in the mountain town my sister lives in, which apparently he visits by himself. He's very kind (according to their accounts) and will play around with folks (in keeping with his style, his jokes and/or pranks are very dry instead of gregarious and eye-catching), but I have to say he seems I to me based on what I know of the man. He's a notorious golfer, which can be (but is not necessarily) a lonely sport.