User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: The Comedians

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Johnny Carson is ISFP.
    I was gonna post a pic of Ed McMahon going "Hey-O!" But it'd probably not be funny.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Also new: Eugene Mirman. My guess would be INTP.
    Doug Benson: ESTP probably.
    Scott Aukerman (host of Comedy Bang Bang): ExTP. ENTJ also possible.
    Amy Poehler: I'd definitely say ENFP
    Last edited by ZPowers; 09-20-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

It seems to me like a very high proportion of sports commentators are ESTP. Don Cherry would be a prime example.

I also think Adam Corolla (former radio comedian, now host of "That Car Show") is ESTP.

Thoughts?

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

Louis CK?
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81M3g3zjXc"]Single People[/YOUTUBE]
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Yes, and he was far more introverted than his performance style would suggest. Probably ENFP, possibly INFP.
    I think he was an ENFP 4w5 sx/so, which would add a bit more introverted flavour to an extraverted personality.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Louis CK?
    I mentioned him earlier in this thread, and there is another thread on him, but most people agree on INxP. Some debate on the F and T. His character in his show seems a bit more F than Louis seems in interviews, talk show appearances and his stand-up to me. But in terms of both that character and real life, I think good arguments can be made for both INFP and INTP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Yes, and he was far more introverted than his performance style would suggest. Probably ENFP, possibly INFP.
    This is true of a lot of comedians. Performance almost always comes off as E by the very nature of it, and if you are performing as yourself then people assume that that is just how you are all the time. But a lot of standup is also stuff a lot of folks see as very I: observation, writing (by yourself), rewriting, rehearsing. As an I who has done stand-up several times, I find the experience rather different from a normal social interaction, because there is no real interaction: I speak, but they do not, and I know what I'm going to say beforehand anyways.

This can be really tricky, especially with comedians. People label comedians E probably a little bit too much, but have no troubles labelling actors or musicians I even though they also perform. But the comedian does something similar to the actor in that they often play a slightly different version of themselves, even if it is subtle, or are simply putting on a show, not connecting individually with the audience. And they also forget that the part with the audience is only one part, only a few hours a week, of being a comedian. Carlin supposedly spent 3-4 hours a day alone in a room writing and practicing, for example.

I listen to a lot of comedic interview podcasts like WTF with Marc Maron or The Nerdist and others, which can often gives me a better understanding of who a comedian is as a person than even their routines do, especially in determining the I/E difference.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Dennis Miller - ISTJ maybe
    Jim Carey - ENFP
    Michael Ian Black - ENTP
    Eddie Izzard - ENFP
    Conan O'Brien - eNFP, he's sooo sensitive!!!!
    Craig Ferguson - ENFJ
    Bill Murray - INTP
    Vince Vaughn - ESTP
    Woody Allen - INTP
    Charles Bukowski - ISFP

I'm with You on Goldberg - good call! If not ENTJ, then ESTJ.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    nerd

bill murray is an entp and bukowski is an infp.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    bill murray is an entp
    Based on? The guy doesn't even work with an agent. He just takes calls on a machine and listens to them later. He's unmarried, and when he does show up in public, it's almost always on his own. He even has a place in the mountain town my sister lives in, which apparently he visits by himself. He's very kind (according to their accounts) and will play around with folks (in keeping with his style, his jokes and/or pranks are very dry instead of gregarious and eye-catching), but I have to say he seems I to me based on what I know of the man. He's a notorious golfer, which can be (but is not necessarily) a lonely sport.