MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Van Gogh was a Sensor?
    Yeah just a schizophrenic. Mentally ill doesn't equal N.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Andrew Jackson - ESTJ

Benjamin Harrison - ESTJ

J.D. Rockefeller - ESTJ

Louisa May Alcott - ISFJ

Robert E. Lee - SJ

Alfred, Lord Tennyson - ISFJ or ISFP

William Wordsworth - ISFJ

Ulysses S. Grant - SJ

Auguste Rodin - ISFP

Vincent Van Gogh - ISFP

Beethoven (?) - probably SP, the only I'm not sure of

Lord Byron - SP

Queen Victoria - ISTJ
    Here @Blackwater. Added types.

I agree that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was probably an ISTP or ISTJ, too, @SilkRoad.

Probably a lot more people in the creative field that were sensors, as well. I just don't know them all.

I seem to know a bunch from the early 20th century, though.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I'm thinking Doyle was xSTx Different types around that seem possible. He could be SJ, he seemed hyper-responsible and very much the devoted servant of the British Empire, but the love of adventure and the fascination with spiritualism maybe seem more P.

I'm not so sure about Wordsworth - I might have thought INFP or INFJ. I'd guess Samuel Taylor Coleridge was N (INFP or ENFP?)

I have to admit, I tend to think poets are more likely to be N and visual artists are more likely to be S. It's the way of looking at the world. But obviously there are many exceptions.

I also think that adventure story writers such as Robert Louis Stevenson and Rider Haggard are likely S - ISTP seems to fit. But then, I don't know a lot about their lives and personalities.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking Doyle was xSTx Different types around that seem possible. He could be SJ, he seemed hyper-responsible and very much the devoted servant of the British Empire, but the love of adventure and the fascination with spiritualism maybe seem more P.

I'm not so sure about Wordsworth - I might have thought INFP or INFJ. I'd guess Samuel Taylor Coleridge was N (INFP or ENFP?)

I have to admit, I tend to think poets are more likely to be N and visual artists are more likely to be S. It's the way of looking at the world. But obviously there are many exceptions.

I also think that adventure story writers such as Robert Louis Stevenson and Rider Haggard are likely S - ISTP seems to fit. But then, I don't know a lot about their lives and personalities.
    I strongly disagree that writers or poets are more likely N and visual artists are more like S. It depends on things like subject matter, motive, and things of that nature.

Wordsworth emphasis on simple naturalism and "the language of the common man" might even be called ISFP by some, if they were to stereotype him by Keirsey. He was about as bucolic and as worshipful of the pastoral as it gets.

However, I think people tend to say he's ISFJ based upon the structure and narrative of his poems, as well as the nature of his personal life/self, me thinks.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Calamity Jane: ESTP
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I strongly disagree that writers or poets are more likely N and visual artists are more like S. It depends on things like subject matter, motive, and things of that nature.

I think writers in general are just as likely to be S as N (and I am sure that my favourites include plenty of both), but poetry seems a more N form of expression to me.

However, I think that might be partly to do with the type of poetry I'm drawn to (and write). I suspect that in the case of poetry (not necessarily other types of writing) the vast majority of my favourites are iNtuitives, and I'm more likely to bypass the more Sensor-ish poets. (Paul Celan, while a 20th century poet, comes to mind - if he's a Sensor, I'm an ESFP! )

I never liked Wordsworth much, maybe that's why, haha Although I like him more now than I did when younger. His Westminster Bridge poem has become a favourite, though it's a break from his usual pastoral thing. I agree he seems like he could be ISFP or ISFJ.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I think writers in general are just as likely to be S as N (and I am sure that my favourites include plenty of both), but poetry seems a more N form of expression to me.
    There is a lot of the poetry that seems to have an Ni-style to it, but yes, that is only a portion of all that is poetry out there. And also, someone who writes such a poem isn't always an intuitive by type. This is probably especially common with ISxPs.

I also suspect that there are a lot more sensing writers than some might suspect, and/or a lot of intuitives who have trained themselves really, really well to pay attention to all of those details

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

However, I think that might be partly to do with the type of poetry I'm drawn to (and write). I suspect that in the case of poetry (not necessarily other types of writing) the vast majority of my favourites are iNtuitives, and I'm more likely to bypass the more Sensor-ish poets. (Paul Celan, while a 20th century poet, comes to mind - if he's a Sensor, I'm an ESFP! )

I never liked Wordsworth much, maybe that's why, haha Although I like him more now than I did when younger. His Westminster Bridge poem has become a favourite, though it's a break from his usual pastoral thing. I agree he seems like he could be ISFP or ISFJ.
    Oh...I love Wordsworth. I wrote more than one paper on his poetry in college. Edgar Allan Poe is another favorite. Pretty sure he was N, though. I say this because of the blah-ze-de-blah-blah of his non-fiction essays, which I can't stand...seems INTP-ish to me, too academic, pretentious even. But I love Poe's fiction and poetry.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Ernest Hemmingway: ESTP 8w7 Sx/So (he was born in 1899 though, so that hardly counts)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Ernest Hemmingway: ESTP 8w7 Sx/So (he was born in 1899 though, so that hardly counts)
    Hemingway, Miller, and both of the Fitzgeralds were all SPs, but they were also not considered 19th century writers since they were all either babies or in utero.

Agatha Christie also early 20th century writer = ISFJ.