• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Presidential Hopefuls' Types

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
A lot of people seem to think Obama is a J. I think this is wrong for two reasons:

1) His wife famously complained that he leaves his socks lying around the house. A high functioning J wouldn't do this.

2) He confessed that disorganization was a weakness of his. Js are known for being organized.

I have a pretty organized mind, can explain things with conciseness and precision, and love to put information on charts. I am not the J-est person around, but I am still a J.

However - my desk at work is an embarrassing disaster. My clothes are strewn about my house. I have piles of crap everywhere. I don't put things in folders unless I have a lot of room in my brain to consider that organizational option... otherwise they just lie in piles wherever my body leaves them. An NJ is not going to look like your idea of a "high functioning J" (what does that even mean?).

That said - I don't know what type Obama is; I would need to spend some time with him personally to feel confident of his type. I feel pretty sure that he's NF. For God's sake, he keeps talking about an empathy gap! I would go on to speculate that he probably has strong Fe--maybe ENFJ or INFJ. He seems very direct to me rather than... roundabout/ethereal? which makes me rule out INFP/ENFP.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I changed the thread title. I didn't know what it was before, but this seemed appropriately general.

redacted

i could see obama being an INFJ. he seems to have active use of thinking. ENFP works too.

or maybe he's an ENTP that knows to emphasize his Fe.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would agree, we never had any NF presidents.. with the possible exception of Bill Clinton. I know Keirsey thinks he is an ESFP, but I think ENFP is a possibility too. Could see either.
Lincoln was more pragmatic than diplomatic as a president, which is more fitting of NT.

J/P has nothing to do with decisiveness.. a J prefers to make plans while a P doesn't. A J may make plans which may lead him or her to never have to make decisions.. to depend on others for instance. A lot of **FJ's do that. Most *STP's I know of are incredibly decisive, just not afraid to change their plans, which allows them to make MORE decisions.

Unless he was somehow repressed by those around him I don't see why he would stand on the sidelines when Bosnia was going through their ethnic cleansing if he was any kind of strong NF. I was young for most of his career as president, so I don't know if he ever even portrayed any kind of diplomatic ability... unless you count Monica Lewinsky, lol. ;)

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
-as if seduction has anything to do with the diplomatic skill set :rolleyes:
Also, I've read other material on that, and there were other issues that those two people had.

-It is my personal type guess, based on what I know about Lincoln, that he was an ESFP.

Obama: of all the candidates, he seems to be doing the most acting. So, a type guess would be the most difficult for him. Although his campaign persona definately resembles a catylist, I don't think he is one.

My suspicion is that, despite his supposed lack for specifics, Obama has a preference for sensing. That's where I think the campaign persona comes in. He seems to have a basic knowledge for symbolism, where he knows how to get people 'riled' around symbols and colorful illustrations of them, but he doesn't seem to exactly know what he's talking about when he does this. This is often how intuition is used by _SP types. I call this "Bob-Dylan-lyrics intuition". At this point, in fact, I am fairly convinced that Obama is an improvisor. My guess is _SFP.

Think I've gone insane?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
John McCain

INTP. Too drowsy to state my case atm, but I shall return in time. The issue may be discussed by the rest of you in the meantime. ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISTP or ESTP who's grown tired of people. His acceptance speech at the Republican convention was the life story of an Artisan who reached a point in life where he looked for something other than self gratification and decided to apply his tactical intellect to higher purposes.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think he's generally typed as INTP. He does seem a little bit more ISTP to me, but that's just an intuitive thing and not something I could probably elaborate much on.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Why do people think McCain is an Introvert?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Why do people think McCain is an Introvert?

He just sorta seems that way to me. But like I said, I could be wrong and it's just that he's grown tired of people. ;)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
What makes him INTP to me are:

His calmness--Textbook there, as he doesn't get riled unless his PRINCIPLES are directly attacked. He doesn't care what you say about the man himself.

His mannerisms--The way he carries himself and the look in his eyes are classic introvert characteristics, and I would say INTP characteristics. His eyes have more energy than the rest of his body in sum.

His rationality--He understands both sides of issues, and realizes he's going to piss people off no matter what he says/does.

Elimination, naturally--No other type fits without trouble (this is admittedly personalized, and I choose not to attempt to explain it as it would take hours)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Well-defended, Jack Flak.

The "mannerisms" part makes the most sense to me.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Thanks, Night.

Since this thread was merged,

"By the way, Obama is probably ENFJ."

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
McCain was clenching his jaws every 3 seconds last night. He is trying to be calm but that is not who he is. He cared when his wife teased him about his hairline and called her a cunt in front of reporters. I believe he is an ISTP. He screams sensor to me.

In addition to being intelligent, well informed and just overall fab, Obama looked very nice last night. I love a man who can wear a nicely tailored suit. :wub:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
McCain was clenching his jaws every 3 seconds last night. He is trying to be calm but that is not who he is. He cared when his wife teased him about his hairline and called her a cunt in front of reporters. I believe he is an ISTP. He screams sensor to me.
Specific exceptions don't make the rule invalid. I've been pissed off too. For example, I imagine both McCain and myself have equal disdain for Obama--A walking violation of our principles.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I read this article on Barack Obama last month.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/us/politics/04obama.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
On the cusp of becoming the first African-American to capture a major party nomination, Mr. Obama remains a protean political figure, inspiring devotion in supporters who see him as a transformative leader even as he remains inscrutable to critics.

He has the gift of making people see themselves in him and offers an enigmatic smile when asked about his multiracial appeal.

“I am like a Rorschach test,” he said in an interview with The New York Times. “Even if people find me disappointing ultimately, they might gain something.”

PROTEAN is my word!!!

That man is an ENFJ!!:happy:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I'd also like to raise my vote towards ENFJ for Obama.

McCain is mysterious to me. I was sold on ESTJ after last night, but stress can often modify otherwise-normal traits...