• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Presidential Hopefuls' Types

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Not all Js are neat or organized. :whistling:

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not all Js are neat or organized. :whistling:

Wasn't there a thread trying to clarify that myth?

Attention people!

Types are not determined by I/E, N/S, F/T, P/J!!!! That's simply how they are represented.

Type with Te, Ti, Fe, Fi, Ne, Ni, Se, Si please :)

I know the majority of the people here understand that...but not everybody, and it irks me.

MBTI Type
INFP
I hear these languages:

McCain (ISTP) speaks Se (as does George W Bush, ESFP)

Obama (INFP) speaks Ne (as does Bill Clinton, ENTP)

Hillary Clinton speaks Te

My two cents.

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
McCain (ISTP) speaks Se (as does George W Bush, ESFP)

Obama (INFP) speaks Ne (as does Bill Clinton, ENTP)

Hillary Clinton speaks Te

My two cents.

Bill Clinton is no kind of a Rational! He's a totally classic ESFP - so much so that jokes about channeling his Inner Elvis abound in my circles. What you all are seeing as Ne is actually a strong Fe combined with a high IQ. Attention: not all bright people are Ns.

Bush strikes me as ESTP all the way. F? If you mean his "devotion to values", that's an SJ exoskeleton provided by his preacher and his wife and grasped at with all the fervor of an alcoholic at the altar.

Obama, now, there's a fellow NT. A guy who, as you said, speaks Ne. As do I and I'm INTP.

MBTI Type
INFP
Bill Clinton is no kind of a Rational! He's a totally classic ESFP - so much so that jokes about channeling his Inner Elvis abound in my circles. What you all are seeing as Ne is actually a strong Fe combined with a high IQ. Attention: not all bright people are Ns.

Bush strikes me as ESTP all the way. F? If you mean his "devotion to values", that's an SJ exoskeleton provided by his preacher and his wife and grasped at with all the fervor of an alcoholic at the altar.

Obama, now, there's a fellow NT. A guy who, as you said, speaks Ne. As do I and I'm INTP.
Bill Clinton most certainly is a rational, and a very clever one at that. He is the consummate politician, a master of spin, and absolutely on top of his game. Acquaintances (the example who comes to mind is Alan Greenspan, clearsighted ISTJ and a brilliant man in his own right) say the most striking things about Bill Clinton are his intense intellectual curiosity and his ability to understand complex theories almost instantly, find their ramifications, and explore them in new ways. Clinton loves being with people (is strongly extroverted) and is able to present ideas in ways that are acceptable to a wide variety of viewpoints (uses Ne to understand F-based logic). He shows a decent amount of Fe/Fi in his compassion for other people, but I have yet to see him make an F-based _decision_. As for Se, I don't see this at all. None of his many infamous pleasure-seeking activities were purely physical. All involve/d some aspect of status, power dynamic, shared ideas, and/or social connection.

Contrast this with George W. Bush, whose most well-developed function is Se. Bush enjoys the fresh air of his ranch, running around DC, etc., much more than sitting around the White House turning over ideas. One of my favorite illustrative stories is this one: Bush had a whole morning to interview John Roberts before nominating him to lead our country's judicial system, and what did he ask Mr. Roberts about? Sports and exercise. On this basis, he could assess Mr. Roberts character and make his decision. Not that Bush is particularly comfortable making decisions...

... Which makes it difficult to assign a J-function. On the whole, I think your guess is better than mine (especially if you have some positive evidence of his using Ti). I see very little Fi in him.

And then there is Obama. Yes, his Ne function is very impressive. Even his Ti is well-developed. But nowhere in public life will you find a figure making such profound and continuous use of Fi. Most of his major speeches involve (1) explaining the emotionally-influenced logic behind different points of view, (2) showing how individual experience leads people with similar valuing processes to come to different opinions about legal, social, and political priorities, and (3) using those valuing processes to craft political goals that most voters can agree on.

And finally, a question: Hillary Clinton= xxTJ. What are xx?

Last edited:

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
McCain is an Extrovert for sure.
I dunno, I would imagine that smart Artisans would be able to understand complex theories in an instant too. However, I could see ENFP. I'm not sure of the T though..

Obama, can't see anything else put ENFP to be honest. He's an Idealist, not a Rational.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Who in the hell renamed this thread? This is most certainly not representative of the posts in here.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
It looks like another thread was merged together with it at some point and it took on that name... but I agree, I think the name of the thread should be changed back.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
personalityzone.com has Obama as an INTJ.
Rating The Candidates 7 – Personality As The Differentiator

Someone suggested that Obama is more likely an extravert than an introvert due to his social nature.

Here were the comments from Keirsey and Kip (the guy who wrote the article)

Keirsey: "There are many differences between Keirsey and Myers. One is that Keirsey has little use for Extraversion and Introversion. He uses the concepts of Expressive and Attentive. A Fieldmarshal Rational correlates to Myers' ENTJ, but the Expressive Coordinator (a FieldMarshal) does not have to be "social." Good examples of Fieldmarshals are George C. Marshall and Douglas MacArthur that were mobilizers but would not be considered particularly "social." The Myers E/I doesn't make as much sense for the Rational temperament."

Kip: "Here's an interesting quote from The Washington Post's Howard Kurtz who has been covering the Obama campaign. "In an age of all-out political warfare," Kurtz wrote recently, "the Obama campaign is a bit of an odd duck: It is not obsessed with winning each news cycle. The Illinois senator remains a remote figure to those covering him, and his team, while competent and professional, makes only spotty attempts to drive its preferred story lines in the press." This describes an INTJ much more than ENTJ to me."

Kip: "Republican Senator Richard Lugar said about him, “At certain points in history, certain people are the ones that are most likely to have the vision or imagination or be able to identify talent and to manage other people's ideas. And I think he does this well." These are traits often used to describe NTJ Rationals, but he has used them in creating an image of caring and connecting – image traits that come most naturally to Artisans such as Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton, but due to the “software” of his character, seem to have become more natural to Obama than most Rationals."

Question though, couldn't this describe an Idealist too?

Keirsey brings up a possible reason for why the Rational Obama could seem Idealist.

Keirsey: "A small note regarding Obama character, I suspect that his Idealism was highly influenced by his mother. She was a clear Idealist, most likely a Counselor Idealist."

I still think Obama is an NF but Kip has a good argument.. at least for Obama being an XNXJ of some sort. To be fair, one of the main arguments for Obama being a XXXP is his talk of change. Judgers don't mind change.. as long as they are the ones making the changes!

Also love or hate Hillary, she's an NT not an SJ. Her whole life has been a 'strategy' to become President herself. The fact that she is a strong Thinker and Judger and is too busy trying to nitpick every flaw in Obama could be her downfall in the remaining Democratic primaries.

McCain, I think there is no doubt that he is an ESTP. Just please don't be one of these people who is like "LOL!! McCain=Bush!! Bad for country!!" I know of a lot of die-hard conservatives who actually can't stand McCain. Of course, that is the reason why he won the primary. He's the only Republican I can stand actually but I feel that his platform has become more 'conservative' as campaigning has gone on. This is something that comes naturally for an Artisan.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think Obama is an idealist, but an introverted one-maybe INFJ. Hillary could be INTJ.
Obama's comment about small-town Americans is a good indicator of why INFJ might be appropriate. It's a classically unrealistic but thought-provoking (whether good or bad) Ni-dominant statement, combined with the Fe tendency to broadly and imaginatively ascribe emotions to those whose opinions they don't understand. It also seems like an idea he came up with himself, which shows that he actually thinks about those things without provocation, like an introvert.

Oh, and I can't stand the guy, so this is the most objective assessment I can manage.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I still think Obama is an NF. I try to take his gender into consideration, and I usually end up at ENFJ/INFJ. He definitely shows Fe; he is not shy about sharing his beliefs. This quote is what makes me think he is an ENFJ:

"Like their INFJ cousins, ENFJs are blessed through introverted intuition with clarity of perception in the inner, unconscious world. Dominant Feeling prefers to find the silver lining in even the most beggarly perceptions of those in their expanding circle of friends and, of course, in themselves. In less balanced individuals, such mitigation of the unseemly eventually undermines the ENFJ's integrity and frequently their good name. In healthier individuals, deft use of this awareness of the inner needs and desires of others enables this astute type to win friends, influence people, and avoid compromising entanglements."

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
If I was to pick, the president would be INTJ, ENTJ, or ISTJ.

J because the president has to be positively active.
Mostly NT because he/she has to be consisent, logical, and decisive.

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP

Just finished watching a biographical miniseries on one of our ENTJ presidents. John Adams.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
My favorites are Thomas Jefferson and Woodrow Wilson because they were geniuses way ahead of their time. I am guessing Jefferson was INTP since he was a bookworm and polymath. I do not know about Wilson.

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
My favorites are Thomas Jefferson and Woodrow Wilson because they were geniuses way ahead of their time. I am guessing Jefferson was INTP since he was a bookworm and polymath. I do not know about Wilson.

I agree on Jefferson. No idea on Wilson.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP

any judging process can make decisions, so I don't see how you could chalk that up to being an "NT". Temperment has nothing to do with decisiveness.
And what in the world is 'positively active' eh.. as opposed to 'negatively active' ?? I don't get it.

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
A P might wade through possibilities too long and never come to a decision. Even then, he/she may not be sure if the decision chosen was the best one compared to the others. They can suffer from regret.

Positively active as in the president should not be afraid to embrace change, as Obama constantly rants on. Too much P may be a detriment to this positive activity. Negative activity is the potential risk of the J.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
A P might wade through possibilities too long and never come to a decision. Even then, he/she may not be sure if the decision chosen was the best one compared to the others. They can suffer from regret.

Positively active as in the president should not be afraid to embrace change, as Obama constantly rants on. Too much P may be a detriment to this positive activity. Negative activity is the potential risk of the J.

Or a P might see a trend coming/suprising event and be able to react much quicker than a "J". You spin, I spin, in the end, this 'decisiveness' stuff is pure spin. No type is inherently better at making decisions. Also, any type can have regrets.
I don't think you've made 'posatively active' into anything resembling a coherent idea. Change is a platitude (obviously), and J/P has nothing to do with which candidates ideas would bring about more change.

By the way, did you know that Abe Lincoln was an ESFP?

-Gabe, refusing to worship extraverted thinking.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Or a P might see a trend coming/suprising event and be able to react much quicker than a "J". You spin, I spin, in the end, this 'decisiveness' stuff is pure spin. No type is inherently better at making decisions. Also, any type can have regrets.
I don't think you've made 'posatively active' into anything resembling a coherent idea. Change is a platitude (obviously), and J/P has nothing to do with which candidates ideas would bring about more change.

By the way, did you know that Abe Lincoln was an ESFP?

-Gabe, refusing to worship extraverted thinking.

Keirsey described Abe as an xNTP "Engineer". We've never had a NF president according to him, which I find interesting.

"Given that there are four temperaments, then it is possible that each of the four is better suited than the other three to deal with some particular kind of situation, that each character toolkit is best suited for a certain type of problem. When it is time for long-range planning, for a sea change in the political architecture or course of a nation, we might expect that a Rational would make the most fitting candidate for office. When it is time for fast and vigorous action rather than reflection, when a political or military gunslinger is needed to respond quickly to immediately pressing challenges, then it would appear that an Artisan is the most suitable selection. When matters are moving in a productive direction and it is important to stabilize and regulate social interactions at home and abroad, it would seem to be time to elect a Guardian.
It might also be that an Idealist president would be most suitable when the relationships between people of different countries, especially face-to-face diplomatic relationships, are critical. For example, what might have happened to Wilson's Fourteen-Point plan had it been presented by a benevolent Idealist such as Eleanor Roosevelt or Mohandas Gandhi instead of the uncompromising Guardian Wilson? And what might have been possible if a talented Idealist had been able to talk with Northern and Southern hotheads in the middle 1800s? Perhaps a half million lives would have been saved."

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I would agree, we never had any NF presidents.. with the possible exception of Bill Clinton. I know Keirsey thinks he is an ESFP, but I think ENFP is a possibility too. Could see either.
Lincoln was more pragmatic than diplomatic as a president, which is more fitting of NT.

J/P has nothing to do with decisiveness.. a J prefers to make plans while a P doesn't. A J may make plans which may lead him or her to never have to make decisions.. to depend on others for instance. A lot of **FJ's do that. Most *STP's I know of are incredibly decisive, just not afraid to change their plans, which allows them to make MORE decisions.