• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Legend of Zelda

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if he were an extrovert, he would actually talk :D

I've often wondered whether an extravert could actually be very quiet. Like if they observed and focused on the external world without having any input. If there were such a thing, I would definitely place Link as a likely candidate. :yes:

However, I still see him as a badass, doesn't-say-a-thing introvert. :D

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've often wondered whether an extravert could actually be very quiet. Like if they observed and focused on the external world without having any input. If there were such a thing, I would definitely place Link as a likely candidate. :yes:

However, I still see him as a badass, doesn't-say-a-thing introvert. :D

me too :yes:
:hifive:

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I think that Link is a variety of types across the series. There just isn't enough to go off of early in the series so I won't do those. I won't go into much detail because I wanna take a nap now :) but here goes:

Bold indicates that I've gone back to the title and played all the way through to verify/ponder

Ocarina of Time ----------------------------------------------- ISTP
Majora's Mask/Twilight Princess ------------------------------ ENFJ
Wind Waker (Possibly Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks) -- ISFP
Skyward Sword (Maybe also Minish Cap) ------------------- INFP

Cartoon/CD-I ---------------------------------------------------------- ESFP

W

WALMART

Why ENFJ for Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, [MENTION=3804]chris1207[/MENTION]?

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
Alright, busy week, [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] ...

Majora's Mask (MM) is a bit harder for me to prove, so I'll start with Twilight Princess (TP.)

A lot of seeing him as the ENFJ I believe him in TP to be is in his characterization and how he fits into the world around him. Hyrule in this game isn't about go about from town to town in a somewhat whimsical, directionless fashion (a la Wind Waker.) Greg Kasavin, formerly of Gamespot, said that he felt this world was more alive than that of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. As such, it's up to link to use his raw, physical prowess to overcome challenges. This setting for gameplay probably has some root in the fact that TP is the first with the Wii remote and thus a more advanced physical control scheme. My point is: Link probably has Se in some capacity as a result of this.

The next question then becomes: What is Link's primary motivation for embarking on his quest? The same question can be asked in all the Zelda games.

I believe that his purpose throughout is to face whatever fortune (Se) may put in his way in order to guard the livelihood of those he cares (Fe) about most. To do this he has to develop his dexterous nature (Se).

There are several events in the game that are like heroic ENFJ fantasy scenarios. Like the boy tied to the end of the ogre's javelin as he rides about taunting link. There original plan way to escape into the fields but link managed to arrive just in time with relentless speed on his steed.

This is in contrast to Ocarina of Time's (OoT) following one's destiny (Ni) for the betterment of the world (Ni+Fe.) The idea here is that Link develops his 3rd cognitive function during his quest. That's what makes him heroic. He's well-rounded.

A second point to consider when determining Link's type is by looking at the type of his (typically female) assistant.

It seems to me that the female assistants are matched up for judging functions but just in an opposite order.

In OoT, Navi was clearly an SFJ, making sure to get Link's attention and then telling him an observation which may or may not be obvious. Also, she chastises him at the beginning of the game for being lazy and is incredulous at the proposition that he could be the one to save them all.

In MM, Tatl was probably an ESTX, chastising link for his lack of observation and the fact that he would frequently overreact (apparently.) That makes me think NF link despite the continuity and OoT Link being an ISTP. MM does feature a kind of alternate universe them, though, and it's entirely possible that Link 'switched' personality types somehow.

Finally in TP, she's clearly an ESTP, playfully teasing Link and steadily growing to like him on some level as the game progresses. This isn't just because he's helping her. It seems to me that she genuinely likes what he stands for as well. At the very least, one would have to assume that they get along when it comes to Ti-Fe. I find that that's one of the major dimensions that causes conflict, differences in judging functions.

There's not much else to say about TP.

There's one point where the shopkeeper in Faron Village describes you as oftentimes excitable or even loud (hinting at E.)

Any questions? I'll get to MM in a few days. I'm reading a book that ties philosophical constructs onto the Zelda games. I need to finish the one with MM :)

Also, I think that Skyward Sword Link is an INFP and his assistant Fi is an INTJ.

Last edited:

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
[MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION]

Alright. So I'm finally back to this topic to talk a little about Majora's Mask and why I view Link in that game as a (possible) ENFJ. It's not so much that he's an ENFJ. I believe that, especially in earlier games, they still hadn't worked out personality for the characters. They more or less filled a purpose in relaying information to 'the hero' to aid him in his quest. MM is the first game where we see real personality variety from the characters.

It's not so much that Link is ENFJ as it is that he is put into a story and environment construct that reflects an NF, specifically NFJ, frame or perspective. You utilize a journal in order to aid townsfolk that you have little previous affiliation with (thus it's less likely he has Fi.) Helping people is the primary focus of the game, despite there being the overarching goal of retrieving Majora's Mask.

To accomplish these ends there is a significant amount of abstract resource management (it's not so much logistical (Si) as it is (underlying) value-based (not to be confused with values-based.)) Thus N of some sort.

I've been reading a book on Zelda and philosophy and they have an article that pertains to MM and the concept of time. Once I'm done reading that I'll expound on this point. My next argument however would be that a Perceiver lacks the ability to efficiently manage these resources. Thus J as well as Fe.

I'll get back to this. I have to head out for the weekend but I thought I'd give you some more answers to your question.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you people saying he is Fe/Ti are crazy. he's so Fi fantasy hero it's not even funny.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
Miyamoto's conception of him IS very Fi. Eiji Aonuma and other's at Nintendo made him very Fe-Ti for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess.

I agree that for all the rest of the Zeldas he is very Fi, especially Skyward Sword and Wind Waker. It's tough for me to articulate. I spend so much with my head up the asses of people's faces and demeanor taking in data that heck if I can articulate it well.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My personal conceptions of the characters - mostly from OoT, but a little Majora, Windwaker, and TP - would make Link ISFP 9w8 sp/sx and Zelda INFJ 1w2 so/sx. Ganon would be ENTJ 8w7 sx/so.

W

WALMART

Link being theoretically Fi is highly implausible. Link is not an introverted rational - in fact, I would say he literally has zero rationalization to his existence whatsoever (that the player is let onto). This is done with great intent, to make him relative to as wide as possible an audience, that anyone can walk his journey with little to detract from the experience in terms of motive. Evil is bad, and this is often good enough to set his course in motion.

Clear Se or Si dom, but whatever you want to project onto his persona is exactly what the developers want.

Ganondorf - ENTJ 3w4 so/sx

Zelda - ESTJ 1w9

Navi - ESFJ 5w6

Tatl - ENFJ 5w6

Tael - ISFJ 2w1

Skull Kid - INFP 7w6 sx/sp

deleted
Aonuma is a strong sensing type, and he's also nowhere as in charge as people assume he is, but he otherwise lacks the creative vision and imagination to be continually successful in his position, the kind which made Zelda so magical and full of rich character to begin with. Familiarity is something people identify with, but I would say that Twilight Princess was more similar in atmosphere to a typical Americanized style of adventure game than a deeply imaginative, unique Zelda-type of game. All the unique accentuations were more or less "carried over" from previous games. He likes to put his stamp of approval on overly primitive mechanics, demonstrating that his style of production has no real bearing on Zelda nowadays as a movingly effective experience. Everything about new Zelda is just kind of recycled filler, as the whole of creative industries, such as art, politics, and music, has compelled these detailed sensing types to meticulously appeal to the public before-hand, instead of allowing any kind of imaginative visionary to appeal as a co-author to a source of our happiness. Nothing successful is made out of a personal vision anymore, that is why they have a team like Aonuma's to cook the books and put smiles on everyone's faces, so to speak. If we were judging games fairly based on everyone's artistic merit to mass produce, these new Zelda games wouldn't even be funded anymore. But because of this money-grubbing expansion, newness is nothing but a facade and everyone's buying tickets.