• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hobbit

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bilbo: INFJ 9w1 Sp/??
Thorin: ISTJ 8w9 So/??
Gandalf: INTJ 5w4 Sp/So
Beorn: ISTP 8w7 Sx/Sp
Smog: ??T? 8w7 Sp/??
Gollum: INFJ 4w5 Sx/Sp
Bard the Guardsman: ESTJ 3w2 Sx/So
Bombur: ISFP 9w8 So/Sx

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I definitely agree about Bilbo as an INFJ, but I've always seen Gandalf the Grey as more of an INTP. (Maybe Gandalf the White is more INTJ? I dunno)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely agree about Bilbo as an INFJ, but I've always seen Gandalf the Grey as more of an INTP. (Maybe Gandalf the White is more INTJ? I dunno)

I'm leaning INTJ but he does have a certain INTP-ishness about him as well. Bilbo was actually kinda hard to type, but I went with INFJ since he's rather like an ISFJ, only with superior planning abilities and cunning strategy that the quest for the Lonely Mountain treasure brought to light

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bilbo is an ESFJ and Gollum is a 6w7 Sx/So, possibly ENFJ. Gandalf: INTJ 1w9 So/Sx.

I don't remember very much the specific novel The Hobbit, but at least I know the type of common characters with LOTR. At least I remember that their personality don't differ between theses two novels.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bilbo is an ESFJ and Gollum is a 6w7 Sx/So, possibly ENFJ.

I don't think ESFJ, but I could see it. 6w7 also makes sense for Gollum. him MBTI is definitely XNXJ with his delusional, warped use of Ni.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's very extrovert and debonair, like the comfort of his home, respect and value tradition and family and like travel and adventure, but in moderation and as long as his comfort is not threatened and he can eat his 5 meals per day. He don't care about logic at all and is sensory oriented above all despite he has a taste for enigma. Enigma is simmply a traditional and popular game among hobbit, as a Fe-dom he like this, but he don't pay attention to logic or intuition to take decision at all. Essentially about the present data ad his feeling about things.

Gollum is sometimes typed as ESTP, but I think they simply put his functions backward.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's very extrovert and debonair, like the comfort of his home, respect and value tradition and family and like travel and adventure, but in moderation and as long as his comfort is not threatened and he can eat his 5 meals per day. He don't care about logic at all and is sensory oriented above all despite he has a taste for enigma. Enigma is simmply a traditional and popular game among hobbit, as a Fe-dom he like this, but he don't pay attention to logic or intuition to take decision at all. Essentially about the present data ad his feeling about things.

Gollum is sometimes typed as ESTP, but I think they simply put his functions backward.

everything you've listed has to do with Fe and Self Preservation, but necessarily ESFJ. I can see him being any FJ type but I still lean INFJ because he has a very Chart the Course type of energy. I disagree also that he does not care about logic too, in The Hobbit he's much more rational and pragmatic than any of the dwarves
PS: what do you think for the rest of the characters?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
everything you've listed has to do with Fe and Self Preservation, but necessarily ESFJ. I can see him being any FJ type but I still lean INFJ because he has a very Chart the Course type of energy. I disagree also that he does not care about logic too, in The Hobbit he's much more rational and pragmatic than any of the dwarves

He's bubbling, engaging and extrovert, and completely a sensor. It's particuklary obvious in the movie. He's less reckless and more reasonable than the dwarves but not "rational".

PS: what do you think for the rest of the characters?

I don't remember, it is a book for child and I was a child when I read it, are'nt you a bit too old to read that?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's bubbling, engaging and extrovert, and completely a sensor. It's particuklary obvious in the movie. He's less reckless and more reasonable than the dwarves but not "rational".
I suppose this is due to being J as opposed to SP, but nothing about him strikes me as extroverted. he's a gregarious host and has good people skills, but his preferred lifestyle is much more quiet and undisturbed like an introvert

I don't remember, it is a book for child and I was a child when I read it, are'nt you a bit too old to read that?
no it's not

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually, Tolkien did write it as a children's book, but that doesn't stop it from being awesome.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, of course, that don't prevent to read more mature thing though.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
his preferred lifestyle is much more quiet and undisturbed like an introvert

Jness, not introversion. He want to preserve his lifestyle from risk and unpredictability, not from social contact.

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
I suppose this is due to being J as opposed to SP, but nothing about him strikes me as extroverted. he's a gregarious host and has good people skills, but his preferred lifestyle is much more quiet and undisturbed like an introvert

The book explicitly says he likes visitors, and the line "lots and lots of room for hats and cloaks" implies that he likes them in large numbers. He's upset by the 'unexpected party' because it's unexpected -- it put him out of his routine, and he's afraid it will make him look like a bad host. Nonetheless, he responds like a classic ESFJ, bustling about taking care of his guests while privately feeling ill-used.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The book explicitly says he likes visitors, and the line "lots and lots of room for hats and cloaks" implies that he likes them in large numbers. He's upset by the 'unexpected party' because it's unexpected -- it put him out of his routine, and he's afraid it will make him look like a bad host. Nonetheless, he responds like a classic ESFJ, bustling about taking care of his guests while privately feeling ill-used.

hmm, I've changed my mind.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on the book.

The Shire is a culture that is heavily Si based. They want to live a quiet and comfortable life, and are afraid of the unfamiliar because that disturbs this routine. As a community they look down on the Took family because of they were unusual and ventured the world. This is what makes Bilbo seem like an SFJ, but I think he is an ENFP who has accustomed to his culture as naturally as anyone would if this was a social norm and lifestyle was favored by everyone.

It is Ne that Bilbo uses to get them out of a dangerous situation, even more than Frodo does in Lord of the Rings, a character who is always typed as an Ne-aux INFP e.g. His ingenious methods of using the barrels to escape, the ring, distracting the spiders. His loyalty towards the dwarfs is why he gives the Arkenstone to the Elven king, not because it could potentially save the majority of people from the threat of war (Fi). I think this is why he (falsely) earns the Thorin's trust, which would be less likely if he was an Fe-user. He also has the intuition to see that the Arkenstone will cause corruption, so he chooses to hide it.

I am not certain that he is an ENFP, but I think it is highly probable. Enneagram could be 6w7 or 9w1.

oh, and the other characters;

In Lord of the Rings I can see why Gandalf the White is INFJ especially from his actions in Gondor during the Return of the King. In the Hobbit he could be ENTP 3w2.
Always though Thorin was ESTJ 8w9, with inferior Fi mistaking the intentions of the fellow dwarfs even they were his most trustworthy companions.
Balin - ENFJ 2w1? Externally warm and friendly(Fe), and is the first to realize what the Arkenstone will do to Thorin and is greed for wealth and power (Ni, although it could also be based on Si experience actually).
Elrond - INFJ 2w1. He gives them guidance by informing them of the symbolism from their map, warns Gandalf of the nearby mountain trolls, is also very warm and welcoming.
Bard - ISTx
Kili - ISFP
Gollum - INTP

Just realized there are no female characters in the Hobbit...