123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

Default Princess Mononoke

This is my all-time favorite movie; even among the rest of Miyazaki's amazing films this one stands out as something very special and sacred to me. If anyone knows of any similar films not by Miyazaki that evoke the mood of this masterpiece feel free to recommend.

Here are my estimates as to the characters types:

Ashitaka: INFJ 1w9 sx/so RCOAI
    San: ISFP 1w2? 8w9? cp 6? sx/sp RLUEN
    Eboshi: INTJ 8w9 so/sp? RCOEN
    Jigo: ESTP 3w2 sp/so SCoEI
    Moro: ENTJ 8w9 sp/sx RCOEN
    Otokko: ISFJ 6w5 sp/so RCUeN
    Koroku: ESFP 7w6 sp/so SLUAx
    Toki: ESTJ 8w7 so/sp SCOAN
    Gonza: ESTJ cp 6w7 sp/so SLUEN

What do you think? Feel free to discuss the movie, the characters types, or other Miyazaki films and their characters.
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like Miyazaki, but my favorites are Spirited Away (captures my childhood feelings pretty well) and Porco Rosso (the only thing I've ever seen twice in one day)

Could you elaborate why you like Mononoke Hime? I was going to suggest Mushishi but then I saw that you're already using a pic of Ginko as your avatar
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I fucking hate that movie. But Ashitaka was ISTJ, Mononoke INFP and the woman who leads the village ENTJ, at least I remember that.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki film. I agree with most of your typings, but I'd change Lady Eboshi to ENTJ. She was more than a little megalomaniacal and aggressive, and I think that's more indicative of ENTJ than INTJ. I agree that Ashitaka is INFJ, San is ISFP, Jigo is ESTP, and Gonza is ESTJ.

I don't know about Moro or Toki. The latter seems kind of like an F.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

(@21%) Spirited Away and Porco Rosso are my favorites too. And Howl’s. Those three (and Mononoke) are the only ones I’ve watched repeatedly.

I haven’t seen Monoke in a few years, but the list in the op looks agreeable to me. The only one that stands out is Lady Eboshi, who (in agreement with others) seems more ENTJ to me. I have a hard time pinning types to most Miyazaki characters, for some reason, but here are a few more guesses.

Chihiro/Sen ISFJ (very)
    Haku INxJ
    Lin ExFP

Sophie also seems very ISFJ to me
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

My absolute favorite is Nausicaa (an ENFJ character, I think.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    (@21%) Spirited Away and Porco Rosso are my favorites too. And Howl’s. Those three (and Mononoke) are the only ones I’ve watched repeatedly.
    Yay! Porco Rosso is seriously underrated, IMO
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Ginkgo

San reminds me of prplchknz.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I fucking hate that movie.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I like Miyazaki, but my favorites are Spirited Away (captures my childhood feelings pretty well) and Porco Rosso (the only thing I've ever seen twice in one day)

Could you elaborate why you like Mononoke Hime? I was going to suggest Mushishi but then I saw that you're already using a pic of Ginko as your avatar
    I love Spirited Away as well; it's easily my second favorite Miyazaki film, and I also identify with the movie's themes as they relate to my childhood. Mononoke Hime and Spirited Away are a step above the other Miyazaki films IMO, especially the music. However, I must admit that I've never seen Porco Rosso; I'm not particularly fond of anthropomorphism, pigs, old planes, the time period of the movie, or it's overall style from what I've seen, but I'll give it try sometime. And you're right, Mushishi does evoke many of those tranquil, ethereal moods found in nature like Mononoke Hime does as well.

As for why I love Princess Mononoke? I've always been drawn to man vs nature themes, and I love wolves, so it was easy for me to identify with San and the forest. I am also fascinated by ancient Japan and Japanese legends and culture, so the setting and time period is perfect. Ashitaka's journey to the west in search of salvation and knowledge evokes the type of archetypal Hero's Journey that I've always been inspired by, when a young man leaves his home bound for unknown lands with only his weapons, provisions, and mount, never intending to return. I also enjoy the many silent, peaceful moments in the film that simply show scenes of the forest, kodamas, or travelers moving without speaking. The scene in which Ashitaka first sees the forest spirit from afar while filling his bowl with water and everything is silent never fails to leave me with this tranquil feeling.

The music is also amazing; The Legend of Ashitaka and Mononoke Hime in particular are amazing and perfectly match the overall spirit of the story as well as the specific scenes they appear in, I listen to and play them often. Also, IMO both the sub and dub are excellent; I know some are of the opinion that Claire Danes as San and Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo were miscast for the English dub but to me their voices bring out elements of each character that I think exist but aren't as easily recognized when voiced by a Japanese speaker, especially for native English speakers. Claire Danes' harsh raspiness adds to San's intensity and raw aggression, while Billy Bob Thornton's western accent adds to Jigo's garrulous nature and gives more humour, even if it may not have been entirely intended. So yeah, pretty much everything is awesome; The art style, the Kodamas, The Forest Spirit/Nightwalker dynamic, just the right amount of blood, the ending... I could go on...
    The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda

Ti>Fi>Ne>>>Si>Te>Se>Ni>>>Fe - LII - 5w4 sp/sx 5w4-4w5-1w9
    |R|cUeI - Phlegmatic/Melancholic - Mystic - Neutral Good

MBTI
    ENFP

I want that demonic arm...
    Likes Alassea liked this post