• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Princess Mononoke

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is my all-time favorite movie; even among the rest of Miyazaki's amazing films this one stands out as something very special and sacred to me. If anyone knows of any similar films not by Miyazaki that evoke the mood of this masterpiece feel free to recommend.

Here are my estimates as to the characters types:

Ashitaka: INFJ 1w9 sx/so RCOAI
San: ISFP 1w2? 8w9? cp 6? sx/sp RLUEN
Eboshi: INTJ 8w9 so/sp? RCOEN
Jigo: ESTP 3w2 sp/so SCoEI
Moro: ENTJ 8w9 sp/sx RCOEN
Otokko: ISFJ 6w5 sp/so RCUeN
Koroku: ESFP 7w6 sp/so SLUAx
Toki: ESTJ 8w7 so/sp SCOAN
Gonza: ESTJ cp 6w7 sp/so SLUEN

What do you think? Feel free to discuss the movie, the characters types, or other Miyazaki films and their characters.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like Miyazaki, but my favorites are Spirited Away (captures my childhood feelings pretty well) and Porco Rosso (the only thing I've ever seen twice in one day) :blush:

Could you elaborate why you like Mononoke Hime? I was going to suggest Mushishi but then I saw that you're already using a pic of Ginko as your avatar :smile:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I fucking hate that movie. But Ashitaka was ISTJ, Mononoke INFP and the woman who leads the village ENTJ, at least I remember that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Princess Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki film. I agree with most of your typings, but I'd change Lady Eboshi to ENTJ. She was more than a little megalomaniacal and aggressive, and I think that's more indicative of ENTJ than INTJ. I agree that Ashitaka is INFJ, San is ISFP, Jigo is ESTP, and Gonza is ESTJ.

I don't know about Moro or Toki. The latter seems kind of like an F.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(@21%) Spirited Away and Porco Rosso are my favorites too. And Howl’s. Those three (and Mononoke) are the only ones I’ve watched repeatedly.

I haven’t seen Monoke in a few years, but the list in the op looks agreeable to me. The only one that stands out is Lady Eboshi, who (in agreement with others) seems more ENTJ to me. I have a hard time pinning types to most Miyazaki characters, for some reason, but here are a few more guesses.

Chihiro/Sen ISFJ (very)
Haku INxJ
Lin ExFP

Sophie also seems very ISFJ to me

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
My absolute favorite is Nausicaa (an ENFJ character, I think.)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
(@21%) Spirited Away and Porco Rosso are my favorites too. And Howl’s. Those three (and Mononoke) are the only ones I’ve watched repeatedly.
Yay! Porco Rosso is seriously underrated, IMO :blush:

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I fucking hate that movie.

Why? :shock:

I like Miyazaki, but my favorites are Spirited Away (captures my childhood feelings pretty well) and Porco Rosso (the only thing I've ever seen twice in one day) :blush:

Could you elaborate why you like Mononoke Hime? I was going to suggest Mushishi but then I saw that you're already using a pic of Ginko as your avatar :smile:

I love Spirited Away as well; it's easily my second favorite Miyazaki film, and I also identify with the movie's themes as they relate to my childhood. Mononoke Hime and Spirited Away are a step above the other Miyazaki films IMO, especially the music. However, I must admit that I've never seen Porco Rosso; I'm not particularly fond of anthropomorphism, pigs, old planes, the time period of the movie, or it's overall style from what I've seen, but I'll give it try sometime. And you're right, Mushishi does evoke many of those tranquil, ethereal moods found in nature like Mononoke Hime does as well. :)

As for why I love Princess Mononoke? I've always been drawn to man vs nature themes, and I love wolves, so it was easy for me to identify with San and the forest. I am also fascinated by ancient Japan and Japanese legends and culture, so the setting and time period is perfect. Ashitaka's journey to the west in search of salvation and knowledge evokes the type of archetypal Hero's Journey that I've always been inspired by, when a young man leaves his home bound for unknown lands with only his weapons, provisions, and mount, never intending to return. I also enjoy the many silent, peaceful moments in the film that simply show scenes of the forest, kodamas, or travelers moving without speaking. The scene in which Ashitaka first sees the forest spirit from afar while filling his bowl with water and everything is silent never fails to leave me with this tranquil feeling.

The music is also amazing; The Legend of Ashitaka and Mononoke Hime in particular are amazing and perfectly match the overall spirit of the story as well as the specific scenes they appear in, I listen to and play them often. Also, IMO both the sub and dub are excellent; I know some are of the opinion that Claire Danes as San and Billy Bob Thornton as Jigo were miscast for the English dub but to me their voices bring out elements of each character that I think exist but aren't as easily recognized when voiced by a Japanese speaker, especially for native English speakers. Claire Danes' harsh raspiness adds to San's intensity and raw aggression, while Billy Bob Thornton's western accent adds to Jigo's garrulous nature and gives more humour, even if it may not have been entirely intended. So yeah, pretty much everything is awesome; The art style, the Kodamas, The Forest Spirit/Nightwalker dynamic, just the right amount of blood, the ending... I could go on... :blush:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always saw Ashitaka as ISFJ. he reminds me of Syaoran from Tsubasa. he's definitely an F, not a rational TJ type. whatever he is though, he's hawt :newwink:

G

Ginkgo

I think Spirited Away captured the corruption in growing up and assimilating oneself in society. It seems like all of the laymen and authorities within the working institution were just driven by gluttony and survival and completely lost sight of their natural roots. Her parents devolved into mindless pigs, and the workers were all animals, defacing their order within nature. At the time Spirited Away was released, the youth of Japan was being forced into the workforce at increasingly younger ages; don't get me started on the linear-minded disciplinarian approach in Japanese high schools.

I enjoyed Totoro as a child, but other than that, I hardly dabbled in Japanese animation.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
** Warning -- spoilers for Spirited Away

I think Spirited Away captured the corruption in growing up and assimilating oneself in society. It seems like all of the laymen and authorities within the working institution were just driven by gluttony and survival and completely lost sight of their natural roots. Her parents devolved into mindless pigs, and the workers were all animals, defacing their order within nature. At the time Spirited Away was released, the youth of Japan was being forced into the workforce at increasingly younger ages; don't get me started on the linear-minded disciplinarian approach in Japanese high schools.
I remember reading somewhere that it's not exactly about 'corruption', but about losing yourself and finding yourself again. At the beginning Chihiro is just another young, frightened child in a big, cruel world. She 'loses' herself when her name is taken from her. However, on her journey she meets people who help her, finds herself and finds her place in the world -- then she realizes, along with the audience, that it's not such a scary world after all. She discovers the courage to stand up for what she thinks is right and as a result can effect real changes in the world. In the end, she's not a young, scared little girl anymore, but a confident youth, ready to face the world.

It's one of the most empowering stories I've ever seen :blush:

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh and I agree with everyone arguing ENTJ for Eboshi - I can definitely understand how people see her as a Te-dom, and I think being an 8w9 she just seems more calm than the way most ENTJs appear. I also have a bad habit of subconsciously leaning towards typing characters that I like as introverts when that preference is not particularly pronounced. Eboshi as ENTJ also gives a nice dynamic contrast with San as an ISFP. :yes:

3ggminey

MBTI Type
Enfp
I always saw ashitaka as an Infp, he seemed Fi throughout the movie, and San seemed extroverted, and a ExFj i think, because she really absorbed the values that the wolves carried. I thought it was lead feeling relationship :) and ashitaka was so idealistic.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the most boring and terrible movie I've seen in my life.

Princesse M is INFP Type 4.
A-shit-aka is ISTJ Type 1.
The female boss of the village is ENTJ 8w7.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Ashitaka seems INFJ.
San is ISFP.
Eboshi is ENTJ.
That one piece of shit hunter wearing the geta is ESTP. Jiga.
Toki is ESFJ.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8559]Jade Curtiss[/MENTION]
Ashitaka: INFJ or ISFP 1w9>2w1>6w5 Sx/Sp
San: ISFP 8w7>7w6>4w5 Sx/Sp
Eboshi: ENTJ 8w9>3w4>5w6 So/Sp

that's all I remember

segovois

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really disagree, imo :
Ashitaka: ESFJ
San: ISTJ
Eboshi: ENTJ (really strange Te/Fi - I love her)
Jigo: ENFP
Moro: INFJ
Otokko: ISTP
Koroku: ESTP
Toki: ESTJ
Gonza: ISFJ