• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rob Lowe

G

Glycerine

I am reading his autobiography for the heck of it. He seems like an ESFP (possibly ESTP) 6w7. I am leaning more towards ESFP because it seems like he has a lot Se and Fi coming through his writing (unless it was ghost written). Any guesses?

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
It wasn't ghost written, his memoirs are legit. He's too dang prideful and a control freak to let anyone else do it.

ESFP could work, but something in him pegs me as a ESFJ. 6w7 totally fits him.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yea, prob esfj sx/so e67.

G

Glycerine

aaaahhh ok, I could see that. Just his more wild side made me think P (the constant sensation seeking, here in the now mentality, etc) but ESFJ makes sense because he constantly name drops (that is one of the biggest flaws of the book) is very self-conscious/image conscious, and is partially inhibited. I wasn't sure if the controlled energy had more due to his enneagram though.

Lightyear

Do you think he could also be an N? His mum definitely came across as an INFP to me, with too much unhealthy Fi that was always looking for the fullfillment of "self".

I liked his writing style and insightfulness very much, especially him describing the hollowness of fame, how in rehab he realised he wasn't this supersocial, small-talk loving person he was always behaving like at all but someone who hates small-talk and needs a genuine deep connection. There is definitely a lot of sx there.

Also I could very well see him as a 3, very ambitious and the real person hiding behind an image who is afraid to be found out.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you think he could also be an N? His mum definitely came across as an INFP to me, with too much unhealthy Fi that was always looking for the fullfillment of "self".

I liked his writing style and insightfulness very much, especially him describing the hollowness of fame, how in rehab he realised he wasn't this supersocial, small-talk loving person he was always behaving like at all but someone who hates small-talk and needs a genuine deep connection. There is definitely a lot of sx there.

Interesting observation! :yes:

Also I could very well see him as a 3, very ambitious and the real person hiding behind an image who is afraid to be found out.

I don't know any Enneagram 3's IRL, hmmmm. Time to seek some out I guess! :happy:
Do you have any samples (hypertext links to online articles, etc.) of Rob Lowe's writing that can be read without buying the book? :cheese:

Cheers, Cousin Lightyear!!!

:hug:

-Halla

G

Glycerine

http://www.oprah.com/entertainment/Rob-Lowe-Stories-I-Only-Tell-My-Friends-Excerpt

Possibly but for some reason he still seems very S to me (not in a negative way). I think that most people when they try to mature seek deeper meaning in their lives. His passion for history and his constant focus on grabbing and taking opportunities in the here and now. He's a bit of a dare devil and likes doing really physical things.
His kid describes him as "100% kid at heart". These probably are very shallow observations but he just struck me as an SP. What type of N could he be? Ni user or Ne user?

Lightyear

I am not sure if that can also be true for a lot of N's but he definitely seems to have a very competetive edge and loves physical challenges, so I can see why people would type him as a S. If he is an SP then he comes across as a mature and balanced SP who through experience has learned to look beyond Se and wanting to please people. All over the book - between just telling his story and all the namedropping (which I found annoying or interesting, depending on my mood) - there are genuine nuggets of insight which reveal a discerning and analytical mind, this guy certainly knows how to look deeper.

For example I really liked his analysis of his childhood in Malibu, how this beautiful place had a dark, deadly underbelly due to people being on the constant search for 'self' and losing touch with reality. Or when he meets Coppola and the director tells him that The Godfather is for him just like a lamp over there on the table, something that's separate from him since the worldwide audience has filled it with their own meaning. Also I can very much relate to his love for history, and more or less every historian I have met I would type as an N (though that doesn't mean that S's are not interested in the subject)

G

Glycerine

Yeah that's true. His adventurous side as a kid and as an adult made me think SP but he could have just been a closet NF to fit in. I think part of my bias of not seeing as NFJ is that I am comparing him with one of his former best friends (John Cusack who some people see as NFJ) and Mike Myers who I see as some sort of NP.

I think he is fairly well-balanced whether or not he is N or S. Maybe the other part of the problem was that got type casted for his "pretty boy" looks. What type do you think he is?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESFP 3w2 So/Sx. Not 6 dudes. And not Sx first either.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
http://www.oprah.com/entertainment/Rob-Lowe-Stories-I-Only-Tell-My-Friends-Excerpt

Possibly but for some reason he still seems very S to me (not in a negative way). I think that most people when they try to mature seek deeper meaning in their lives. His passion for history and his constant focus on grabbing and taking opportunities in the here and now. He's a bit of a dare devil and likes doing really physical things.
His kid describes him as "100% kid at heart". These probably are very shallow observations but he just struck me as an SP. What type of N could he be? Ni user or Ne user?

I think of Myers as an so/sx e34 infp; Cusack so/sp e54 intp.

Also, get lost speedy. Winky wink.

Lightyear

Reading the autobiography I thought he might be some sort of an ENxP or an ENFJ. To be honest I don't know.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My opinion did'nt change: ESFP 3w2 So/Sx.:)

G

Glycerine

I originally thought ESFP. hah (the interviews cemented it for me)! I could potentially see 3w2 because he repeatedly used the phrase "people pleaser' to describe himself and constantly focused on the aesthetics of everyone he wrote about in his book.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Reading the autobiography I thought he might be some sort of an ENxP or an ENFJ. To be honest I don't know.

You're just determined to make him an N, aren't you?

ESFJ for Rob.

G

Glycerine

So ESFJ is winning. :). I totally agree with ESFX with a strong enneagram influence of some sort.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
omg he was so hot in the 80's

ESFx? great, okay

I have no idea. I can see ESFx though. I don't know if ESFP or ESFJ.