• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing Squidward, Spongebob, Patrick?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These descriptions are taken from Wikipedia.

Squidward Q. Tentacles (Rodger Bumpass) is SpongeBob and Patrick's effete cephalopod neighbor. Squidward has been referred to as a squid by the series creators, but he referred himself as an octopus once. He lives in a house shaped like an Easter Island Head. He loves art, and makes every one of his artworks have the subject of himself. He works as a cashier at the Krusty Krab, a job he dislikes. SpongeBob and Patrick consider Squidward their friend, but the feeling is, by far, not mutual.

SpongeBob SquarePants (Tom Kenny) is the title character of the series. He is an optimistic, energetic, lively sea sponge who physically resembles an artificial, kitchen-type sponge and lives in a pineapple-shaped house. He is often shown in the series working at The Krusty Krab as a fry cook. SpongeBob's hobbies in the show include practicing karate with Sandy, catching jellyfish and blowing intricate bubbles. He attends Mrs. Puff's Boating School, but has never passed; his lack of a driver's license serves as a running gag throughout the series.

Patrick Star (Bill Fagerbakke) is a pink, lazy, overweight, and dimwitted seastar who is SpongeBob's best friend. He lives under a hinged barnacle and his most prominent character trait is his low intelligence. Depicted as a negative influence on SpongeBob, he encourages dangerous and foolish activities that get the two into trouble. While typically unemployed throughout the course of the series, Patrick holds various short-term jobs as the storyline of each episode requires.

It should also be noted that some people believe that Patrick is, at least mildly, autistic.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
spongebob is easy: ENFP 7w6 so/sx
squidword: ISTJ 3w4 or 1w9 sp/??
Patrick: ESFP (maybe) 9w8 so/sp or so/sp

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
spongebob is easy: ENFP 7w6 so/sx
squidword: ISTJ 3w4 or 1w9 sp/??
Patrick: ESFP (maybe) 9w8 so/sp or sp/sp

Was Patrick's sp/sp a typo, or is there something I don't know about Instinctuals?

Squidward as type 3w4, he is fairly narcissistic and self-absorbed, isn't he.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Spongebob: very unusual character... I can see where ENFP is coming from, but at the moment I'm seeing him as an ESFJ/ENTP hybrid (very strong Fe/Ne loop), can't decide which. He's also a pretty clear 6w7

Patrick: probably ISFP, maybe ESFP. Also clearly 9w8. Not so much to go off of though.

Squidward: INTJ, though I could see ISTJ as well. He's super aloof and in his head though, not down to earth in the slightest. And he's an obvious 3w4 :tongue:

Also worth noting: Sandy is an excellent example of an ESTP 7w8, a scientist/inventor squirrel one at that :yes:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spongebob: very unusual character... I can see where ENFP is coming from, but at the moment I'm seeing him as an ESFJ/ENTP hybrid (very strong Fe/Ne loop), can't decide which. He's also a pretty clear 6w7

Yes and no on ESFJ/ENTP hybrid. Spongey is a playful extraverted sponge continually seeking out external possibilities for fun. Sure he can play other roles, he can be more serious at work. And perhaps his sympathetic side makes him seem Fe, thus E(X)FJ. But in many cases, such as this one, I have to toss aside MBTI one-size-fits-all formulas, as is my wont, and say, "This character is adaptable not only in shape but in personality - therefore, he is P all the way down." Thus he can appear as a J by adapting cognitively to various conditions which pop up in his cartoon reality, and that's not a trait we can pigeonhole.

Also worth noting: Sandy is an excellent example of an ESTP 7w8, a scientist/inventor squirrel one at that :yes:

"Inventor" seems more ENTP to me, Sandy trades off between Se and Ne. Her anger issues with Spongey show a more controlling side, however. And her depressive side takes on an introverted, withdrawn aspect. She is not sad when someone gets hurt physically or emotionally during one of her extreme physical adventures (just rub some sand in it and keep going!), nor is she disappointed for very long by any negative outcomes. Sandy's weakness is in the emotional realm. Breaking off a romance is very devastating for her.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's no way Spongebob is tert Fe; he's far to softhearted, super nice, giggly, let's all be freinds, to be dome or aux T at all. As for where he derives his sense of morals, I'm not entirely sure, although at times he seems to be great at generating harmony among his friends, yet in many other instances he's childish and unknowling annoys others with his over freindlyness (case in point: the episode where he goes into the dreams of others). ENFP or ESFP could work for him, as I do see tert Te with his super ability to stay organized and actually get shit done, fueled by his contagious enthusiasm and dedication to whatever he works on, whether it be job, boating school etc. Although I wouldn't rule out ESFJ or ENFJ either; basically he's an ExFx 7w6.

Patrick seems more ISFP; in the moment, mostly not working but rather just watching TV or playing with Spongebob, I don't see much in the way of Te fo him. I think enneagram 9w8 fits him fairly well.

Squidward seems ISTJ to me, although I'd be inclined to consider INTJ is someone could show proof of Ni over Si. Agrre on 3w4 for him.

Sandy seemd like she could be ESTP or ENTP, not sure on the enneagram.

Mr. Krabs is an ENTJ

Plankton is either ENTJ or INTJ

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes and no on ESFJ/ENTP hybrid. Spongey is a playful extraverted sponge continually seeking out external possibilities for fun. Sure he can play other roles, he can be more serious at work. And perhaps his sympathetic side makes him seem Fe, thus E(X)FJ. But in many cases, such as this one, I have to toss aside MBTI one-size-fits-all formulas, as is my wont, and say, "This character is adaptable not only in shape but in personality - therefore, he is P all the way down." Thus he can appear as a J by adapting cognitively to various conditions which pop up in his cartoon reality, and that's not a trait we can pigeonhole.

I agree that Spongebob does seem more ExxP than ExxJ. I think a lot of what makes him seem sort of J is that he is a type 6. There is a persistent fearful/loyalness to him that leads to a lot of order and obsessiveness. This might also make him look more Fe-influenced than he actually is, while the instances that display an Ne-dominant attitude are kind of more obvious :tongue:

"Inventor" seems more ENTP to me, Sandy trades off between Se and Ne. Her anger issues with Spongey show a more controlling side, however. And her depressive side takes on an introverted, withdrawn aspect. She is not sad when someone gets hurt physically or emotionally during one of her extreme physical adventures (just rub some sand in it and keep going!), nor is she disappointed for very long by any negative outcomes. Sandy's weakness is in the emotional realm. Breaking off a romance is very devastating for her.

Well that was sort of the point here. She is indeed a scientist and inventor by profession, but she is not quite the ENTP mad scientist/inventor archetype. Those characters tend to be more enthusiastic or whimsical but not quite "all there", whereas Sandy is more grounded and in-control, puts a lot of emphasis on facts and empiricism, and knows how to live in the moment. She has a lot of enthusiasm for science and invention, but tends to lose that part of her when something doesn't go according to plan or when she cannot make her inventions practical in an immediate way. She seems almost ENTJ except that she has a strong ExxPness to her, which is also part of why I go with ESTP. I do see a little bit of Se/Ne gray area, like in the karate scenes, though that could just be Spongebob rubbing off on her ;)

(And yes, I've watched this show far too many times....)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Was Patrick's sp/sp a typo, or is there something I don't know about Instinctuals?

Squidward as type 3w4, he is fairly narcissistic and self-absorbed, isn't he.

it was a typo :laugh:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's no way Spongebob is tert Fe; he's far to softhearted, super nice, giggly, let's all be freinds, to be dome or aux T at all. As for where he derives his sense of morals, I'm not entirely sure, although at times he seems to be great at generating harmony among his friends, yet in many other instances he's childish and unknowling annoys others with his over freindlyness (case in point: the episode where he goes into the dreams of others). ENFP or ESFP could work for him, as I do see tert Te with his super ability to stay organized and actually get shit done, fueled by his contagious enthusiasm and dedication to whatever he works on, whether it be job, boating school etc. Although I wouldn't rule out ESFJ or ENFJ either; basically he's an ExFx 7w6.

Yes I am very reluctant to peg the Spongebob as ENTP or any sort of T..... functionally it kind of works, but even as a cartoon character it's hard for me to buy tertiary Fe as being that pervasively friendly and expressive. Maybe he is ENFP and his Fi looks sort of Fe-ish at times through how extemely outgoing he is. I still think he is mainly a type 6 with some strong 7 tendencies towards "fun" but he is rather close.

Oh, and I would like to add that Gary is an obvious INTP :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it was a typo :laugh:

That's a relief. But now I want to ask the general audience, what distinguishes the 3w4 from the 4w3 that makes Squidward's e-type so non-controversial?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes I am very reluctant to peg the Spongebob as ENTP or any sort of T..... functionally it kind of works, but even as a cartoon character it's hard for me to buy tertiary Fe as being that pervasively friendly and expressive. Maybe he is ENFP and his Fi looks sort of Fe-ish at times through how extemely outgoing he is. I still think he is mainly a type 6 with some strong 7 tendencies towards "fun" but he is rather close.

Oh, and I would like to add that Gary is an obvious INTP :D

His Fi could look sorta Fe-ish. Actually, I think Fi works well, because the problem with Fe is that Fe dom knows how to accomosate to socially expected norms and recognize social cues, but in the movie for example, Spongebob's biggest obstical was the fact that he acted like a child and refused to grow up to adult standards.

And agree, Gary is totally INTP :yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
His Fi could look sorta Fe-ish. Actually, I think Fi works well, because the problem with Fe is that Fe dom knows how to accomosate to socially expected norms and recognize social cues, but in the movie for example, Spongebob's biggest obstical was the fact that he acted like a child and refused to grow up to adult standards.

And agree, Gary is totally INTP :yes:

Gary just meows, how can he have a type lol

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spongebob - ENFP 7 sx
Squidward - ISTJ 6 sp
Patrick - noidea 9 sx
Sandy - ESTP 8 so
Mr. Krabs - ESTJ 8 sp
Plankton - INTJ 1 sx

Squidward can't be a 3, that's the most extraverted enneagram type and he has no enthusiasm, no ambition. The only thing 3 like is his narcissistic paintings.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spongebob - ENFP 7 sx
Squidward - ISTJ 6 sp
Patrick - noidea 9 sx
Sandy - ESTP 8 so
Mr. Krabs - ESTJ 8 sp
Plankton - INTJ 1 sx

Squidward can't be a 3, that's the most extraverted enneagram type and he has no enthusiasm, no ambition. The only thing 3 like is his narcissistic paintings.

Agree, for the most part, although type 4's are more likely to create narcissistic paintings.

Squidward isn't a type 1w9 then? I noticed it's hard to get reasons for these calls. I wanted to know why 3w4 and not 4w3, and nobody responded. Why not 4 because of his artistic nature? Why not type 1 because of the contrast it forms with his neighbors' types, especially Spongey? Note the great potential for neighborly conflict between an orderly type 1 and a playful type 7 (or 6w7 if you want). Whereas there is less potential conflict between a Spongebob type 7 and a Sandy type 3, who are both extraverted types.

If Squidward is a 1w9, then there will be further potential conflict with the leisurely - and far less ambitious - nature of the type's 9-wing.

The aesthetic nature of Squidward's household environment shows not a 4-wing but an average 1's deterioration to 4 - a longing for a life free from the stress of perfectionism, of over-responsibility, by pursuing a more Bohemian lifestyle, which leads to an internal conflict with his 1 nature.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hmmm... I kind of assumed Squidward was a 6w5, but I could see him as a disgruntled 3w4 stuck in a dead-end job. The episode where he proposes to make a spectacle at the restaurant seems to suggest that... :thinking:

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Gary just meows, how can he have a type lol

Not quite; in the episode where Spongebob (in etheral dream form) travels into his friend's dreams, Gary's dream reveals that Gary is a highly intelligent intellectual who is well read; thus typical INTP stereotype.

He's obsessed with a distorted and warped image of himself; he fancies himself an 'artist' of which no one can match despite being a lousy artist and pretentious narcissist. I mean just look at how he react in the presence of Squillium, an individual who Squidward knows is better than him (as opposed to everyone else in Bikini Bottom, whom Squidward can easily look down upon because most of them aren't nearly as perfect as Squillium). If Suidward aint 3w4 then 4w3 would probably fit better for him, but there is certainly an image focus around him.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm... I kind of assumed Squidward was a 6w5, but I could see him as a disgruntled 3w4 stuck in a dead-end job. The episode where he proposes to make a spectacle at the restaurant seems to suggest that... :thinking:

If he made a spectacle at the Krusty Krab, then he had moved to his stress point. The average 9 (which is Squidward's wing) stresses to 6 and takes on a "siege mentality," reacting aggressively toward those things which disrupt his leisurely lifestyle.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It looks as if I'll have to quote directly from Riso's Personality Types in order to clarify my statements as to Squidward's E-type.

When Ones go to Four, they begin to fantasize about being someone else, being free of the burdens of their obligations. They seek out things of beauty and try to surround themselves with an aesthetically pleasing environment as a refuge from the pressures of their work. A certain "aesthetic elitism" develops. Average Ones see themselves as people of taste, and defend this sense of themselves all the more when they are under pressure...By Level 5, Ones begin to tire of the constant pressure to meet their ideals, and become moody and temperamental in their move to Four. They often experience periods of melancholy, feeling that no one understands how hard they are trying and how important their contributions have been...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Been thinking about this on and off, 6 doesn't really fit at all, I figure that since his MBTI is so obvious, his enneagram must be something common to ISTJs.

4 seems to fit squidward reasonably well, he seems to have an idealized self, he's attracted to classy things. And the whole musical instrument deal:

Fours typically have problems with a negative self-image and chronically low self-esteem. They attempt to compensate for this by cultivating a Fantasy Self—an idealized self-image which is built up primarily in their imaginations. A Four we know shared with us that he spent most of his spare time listening to classical music while fantasizing about being a great concert pianist—à la Vladimir Horowitz. Unfortunately, his commitment to practicing fell far short of his fantasized self-image, and he was often embarrassed when people asked him to play for them. His actual abilities, while not poor, became sources of shame.

That sounds right, no?

Also, I suspect that Patrick is an ENFP just like spongebob.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Been thinking about this on and off, 6 doesn't really fit at all, I figure that since his MBTI is so obvious, his enneagram must be something common to ISTJs.

4 seems to fit squidward reasonably well, he seems to have an idealized self, he's attracted to classy things. And the whole musical instrument deal:

Fours typically have problems with a negative self-image and chronically low self-esteem. They attempt to compensate for this by cultivating a Fantasy Self—an idealized self-image which is built up primarily in their imaginations. A Four we know shared with us that he spent most of his spare time listening to classical music while fantasizing about being a great concert pianist—à la Vladimir Horowitz. Unfortunately, his commitment to practicing fell far short of his fantasized self-image, and he was often embarrassed when people asked him to play for them. His actual abilities, while not poor, became sources of shame.

That sounds right, no?

The rejection of Squidward as a 4 comes partially through his MBTI. If we assume he is ISTJ, then it becomes difficult to type him as a 4, even with a 3-wing present.

If we consider the dynamics of the Enneagram, then typing becomes easier. The MBTI is completely lacking in dynamics. Even Jungian typology has its dynamic component (repressed functions). The MBTI offers nothing more than a static archetypal description.

It also helps to take Riso's descriptions of disintegration seriously. This is the dynamic component. Assuming that Squidward is a relatively "unhealthy" variant of his type (let's say, level 4 or 5), then consider how the E-4 looks when moving to 2. Take the 4 at level 5 for example when it moves to 2:

"They dwell on their feelings and fantasies and have trouble maintaining interest in others except inasmuch as they may want to talk about their issues and desires. This causes others to avoid Fours, which inevitably produces stress and fears of abandonment. Fours respond by hovering around and intruding themselves into others' lives like average Twos. They become clinging and possessive of those people whom they still feel comfortable with and who are willing to support the Four's fantasies. They being to find ways to 'be needed' and do not like to let the people they care about out of their sight for long."

That doesn't sound like Squidward. The 1 deteriorating to 4, described in my previous comment, sounds exactly like Squidward. My comments about his 9-wing above also sound like Squidward, especially when considering his conflicts with his neighbors' personalities.

Edit - treat personality dynamically, not as a static archetype. The Enneagram works very well for producing dynamic descriptions of type.