• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

MerkW

A very interesting read.

For those who have read it,
what is your opinion of the Christopher's (the main character) MBTI type?

I have wondered about the answer to this question for a while.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Well, considering that he's an autistic child, wouldn't that make typing him very difficult, if not impossible?

I know almost nothing about autism, though, so...

MerkW

Well, considering that he's an autistic child, wouldn't that make typing him very difficult, if not impossible?

Not really, since he is high-functioning.

From a functional standpoint, he seems to be extremely good at using Ti, Si, and Te (and possibly Ne?). He clearly is terrible at using Fe. The rest of the functions seem a little bit hazy in relation to his character.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Very nice recommend, my good man.

INTP seems the closest fit for me.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I would say he makes good use of Ti and Si... Ti clearly strongly than Si.. and Ti/Fe just conflict as dominant/auxiliary functions so I would go for INTP based on that.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Very nice recommend, my good man.

INTP seems the closest fit for me.

He has a lot of trouble with figures of speech; I think this should probably rule out N.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have trouble with figures of speech, plus I think that they are culturally biased. Ns aren't necessarily figurative in language, take the world figuratively, meaning they take it not as it is, but as it could be.

MerkW

He has a lot of trouble with figures of speech; I think this should probably rule out N.

Err...no. I am 100% N and I have quite a knack for interpreting the speech of others' literally (yet, I frequently use my own bizarre figures of speech that no one else understands at all).

In fact, most people I know who frequently use figures of speech are SJs.

I very much agree with what Uber said in the post above.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Congratulations, Captain Obvious.

Might as well attempt to type people with schizophrenia. Which recent research suggests maybe be related to autism along with several other mental disorders.

celesul

MBTI Type
ENTP
Autism doesn't impact typing that much, I think, although it seems to result in certain types being most common.

I'd guess his type as IxTJ, but I've not read the book in ages. I remember liking it though. ^.^

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think he's INTJ. If you can type autistic children, that is.

All autistics would be I, and T's probably as well. Would most people suffering from bipolar be extreme F's?

Eh, I don't know. Haven't heard of typing people who have mental disorders.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Didn't Christopher just have Aspergers' and not autism?

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wikipedia says

Although Christopher's condition within the autism spectrum is not stated explicitly within the novel, the summary on the book's inside cover describes it as Asperger syndrome.

Aspergers Syndrome is is one of several autism spectrum disorders.

However,
Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while being oblivious to the listener's feelings or reactions, such as signs of boredom or haste to leave.[

I think, therefore, Christopher suffered from autism.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
His thought processes seem very Ti dominant. Open, yet confused by Fe. Doesn't seem to have much Fi going on at all. Little input from Ne. Some more from Se, but not much. Shows signs of things that could be caused by Te and Ni, but the way they work seem more like byproducts of Ti.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6

Then most of the autists would be S? :huh:
I think his type really is irrelevant since it is burried behind Asperger...

The Grey Badger

MBTI Type
INTP
Didn't Christopher just have Aspergers' and not autism?

While there is a lot of heated debate in the forums that discuss such things, my own take is that he's too far down the spectrum to be Aspie - I'd say medium-high-functioning autistic. Though to be perfectly fair, he writes marvelously well and is no stranger than, say, Paul Erdos. (No Hungarian accents attempted - you know who I mean. The mathematician.)

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while being oblivious to the listener's feelings or reactions, such as signs of boredom or haste to leave.

Interesting, I thought that people with AS would naturally be withdrawn as well, especially with the extremely likely Introverted personality. It is strange to think about. I'll admit that I don't know much about autism in general though.. but I always thought that AS was defined as autism with above average IQ... which Christopher seems to have, unless one wants to call him an 'idiot savant', which he doesn't seem like in the novel.